which dvds are best for beginners 'bjj'

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by power 89, Jul 20, 2010.

1. power 89

power 89 White Belt

hi, anyone know any good dvds for guys just starting out at bjj ,looked at a few on line and two poped out ...mario roberto...or..demian maia...has anyone bought any of there stuff or know anything about these guys........mario roberto looks like a better deal... but dont know??? any info??............

2. blackers10

blackers10 Orange Belt

unless you have sombody to practice on I would give them a miss and use youtube and even the draculino app for Iphone if you have one and just use the free demo's

will take you long enough to even get good at most of the BASIC moves
    by then your teacher will have shown you plenty

3. CrazyJHL

CrazyJHL Brown Belt

From what I heard, I believe Roy Dean's blue belt requirements is a great DVD to use in addition to training at your school. I've been thinking of getting it, been broke for a while though...On another note, the Drac free Ipod app is really nice, I use it x_x.

4. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

For an absolute beginner I'd recommend Stephan Kesting's roadmap for BJJ. It will help you get familiar with everything. After that Maia's is invaluable.

^^^Forgot about Roy Dean's. It's great for a beginner.

5. power 89

power 89 White Belt

nice one for the couple of tips....not a total virgin at bjj..was in a club for six or seven weeks training 3 nights a week...but work has messed things for me...bought matts and made a decent dummy.....plan to go back in about 12 months...just want to keep it fresh in my head until....so maia or roy dean...?:D :redface:

6. nkkny1

nkkny1 Yellow Belt

+1
    Blue belt requirements is great. It helped me get those little details for the sweeps.

7. xcydal

xcydal I am in here.

[​IMG]

JK, but y'all know you just nostalgia'd.

8. Mohawk79

Mohawk79 Orange Belt

Fabio Gurgel has a DVD series that helped me a lot when I started. Has a lot of technique that is very simple and works very well, Demian Maia's Science of Jiu Jitsu is also another series I recommend to most most new students.

9. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Are you joining a BJJ school?

10. dat1978

dat1978 Brown Belt

you're kidding right? YES YOU ARE A TOTAL VIRGIN AT BJJ!!! 6 or 7 weeks at 3 nights a week ain't sh*t.

roy dean is great, stephan kestings roadmap for bjj is perfect for you, maia's is also great but better once you have more experience. i say all this because i just started bjj a few weeks ago so i'm a beginner just like you and have these videos.

honestly, the "basic" material on roy dean's blue belt and stephan's roadmap videos is more than enough to keep a beginner busy in my opinion.

11. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Honestly if that is all the experience you have you need the mat time not the DVD's.

12. Team Sleep

Team Sleep Black Belt

These things are a waste of money if you don't already train or plan to. Some glossary terms if you don't know them, maybe a few positions and sweeps to ask your instructor to show you if they interest you. They won't do anything at all for your game most likely, because you won't have an expert there to critique you on the slightest variations of leverage and momentum that are necessary at the highest levels. You don't want to get into bad habits and have nobody there to correct them other than the guy beating your face in on the street while you try to remember how it worked in the video.

Vids are supplemental, nothing more.

Also, Roy Deans, Maia, and lastly the Gracie Combatives. You can get all of the combatives and see the technical requirements for the various belts in GJJ.

13. power 89

power 89 White Belt

hey man,a total virgin in my opinion is someone how does'nt know bjj from a bj,but u are right you dont' know sh/t after 7 weeks..... roy dean...seen like a soild choice...thanks for da tip...............

14. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Demian Maia's Science of Jiu Jitsu 1

15. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

Stephan Kesting's stuff is well thought out and clear.

16. Waxwingslain

Waxwingslain oiseau rebelle

Saulo Ribeiro's DVDs are good too. His book is absolutely essential.

I wish I had had a copy of Roy Dean's Blue belt DVD when I started BJJ.