Which director made the best "Back-to-Back" movies... John McTiernan or James Cameron?

Ace of Spade

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Predator and Die Hard are both classics... we've all seen them a million times and they both were directed by the same guy(John McTiernan)... but the question is...

Do you think that "Predator"(1987)" and Die Hard"(1988) are the best two movies made Back-to-Back by one director?

John McTiernan
vM7kJCw.jpg

VS

Then we have... The Terminator(1984) and Aliens(1986) which are also classics that we all love and were made by James Cameron?

Is The Terminator(1984) and Aliens(1986) the best movies made Back-to-Back by the one director?

James Cameron
CSbTLPy.jpg

Is there another director who has made bigger Back-to-Back classics then these two guys?

So... who's the king of Back-to-Back classic movies?

Didn't George Lucas make Star Wars than Empire back to back.
pretty sure those win.

Predator and Die Hard are both classics... we've all seen them a million times and they both were directed by the same guy(John McTiernan)... but the question is...

Do you think that "Predator"(1987)" and Die Hard"(1988) are the best two movies made Back-to-Back by one director?

John McTiernan
vM7kJCw.jpg

VS

Then we have... The Terminator(1984) and Aliens(1986) which are also classics that we all love and were made by James Cameron?

Is The Terminator(1984) and Aliens(1986) the best movies made Back-to-Back by the one director?

James Cameron
CSbTLPy.jpg

Is there another director who has made bigger Back-to-Back classics then these two guys?

So... who's the king of Back-to-Back classic movies?

McTiernan takes this because Die Hard is the best action film ever made and Predator was pretty badass.

It's hard to pick because Predator and T2 are the greatest action movies of all time IMO

Didn't George Lucas make Star Wars than Empire back to back.
pretty sure those win.
Nope, He barely directs. But he did direct THX 1138, American Graffiti, and Star Wars all in a row. However he followed up Star Wars with episodes 1,2,3

Prestige and Dark Knight

but out of those options; Cameron

actually: T1, Aliens, The Abyss, T2 and True Lies - that is a hell of a run.

Last edited:
I'll have to vote Cameron because out of the four movies Die Hard is the one I love the least (still great though)

Damn... I think I gotta go with John McTiernan. The Predator and Die Hard might be the best 1-2 punch by a director ever.

McTiernan did great, but I give this to Cameron. And he followed that with The Abyss and Terminator 2, if I recall. That's a streak never to be broken.

I like Die Hard and Predator more so I'll go with them.

Taratino made RD and PF back to back
And IB and Django and I think all 4'of those movies are classics.

I like Die Hard and Predator more so I'll go with them.

Taratino made RD and PF back to back
And IB and Django and I think all 4'of those movies are classics.

I would say Tarantino is the current longest running.

Coppola may be the best in back to back with Godfather part 2 and Apocalypse Now.

Ivan Reitman

Stripes
Ghostbusters

Coen Brothers

Barton Fink
Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
Big Lebowski

Those 4 are all fantastic movies. All back to back

Ed Wood made Glen or Glenda and Jail Bait back-2-back

Back