Which continent has the best beer?

Twatty ones, yes.
I can only think of one pub I've been in recently that didn't have a specific craft beer section on their menu. Sainsburys, Tescos, Morrisons etc all have dedicated craft beer sections. I've had similar experiences in several other European countries so I think you're massively underestimating the use of the phrase craft beer.

FFS, okay, it is an oft-used phrase in the UK (primarily by marketing departments, and people who believe that all beer was mass-produced prior to 2008).

Seriously, why do people believe that small breweries are somehow a modern phenomenon. They are not. Mass production of shit beer only really took off in the 70s, and it took a good few decades before everyone cottoned on to the fact that Castlemaine XXXX, Carling Black Label, and Watney's Party 7's weren't the zenith of beer production.

Quality beer has always been available in Europe. The fact that breweries began to dominate the market with the crud they produce in volume is a fairly recent, and hopefully downward, trend.

Anyway, to return to the original question, who really knows or cares? The US has far less pedigree than Europe, but is making some nice stuff. Anyone that considers themself an expert and tells you what you should be drinking is a knob. Drink what you like drinking, and everyone else can get fucked.

That said, Hogsback TEA is a great go-to beer, especially if you've just done their brewery tour (hic) and picked up a barrel on your way out. Just get someone else to drive.

FFS, okay, it is an oft-used phrase in the UK (primarily by marketing departments, and people who believe that all beer was mass-produced prior to 2008).

Seriously, why do people believe that small breweries are somehow a modern phenomenon. They are not. Mass production of shit beer only really took off in the 70s, and it took a good few decades before everyone cottoned on to the fact that Castlemaine XXXX, Carling Black Label, and Watney's Party 7's weren't the zenith of beer production.

Quality beer has always been available in Europe. The fact that breweries began to dominate the market with the crud they produce in volume is a fairly recent, and hopefully downward, trend.
From what I understand, watery shit beer has been fairly constant since prohibition. The regional consolidation of these shitbrews is somewhat recent, but it was more like you'd be getting beer from large regional breweries about the size/territory that Yuengling was 20 years ago.

who said any of that and what does it have to do with the term craft beer

I had the misfortune of attending craft beer rising on Brick Lane this year, and the way the punters (and Brewers) were talking, you'd think they were the inventors of 4-ingredient beer.

Much the same people that appear to believe they invented pulled pork in 2011.

Beer was always regional in the UK, because it tended to travel poorly. 2-day enzyme-riddled brews were easier and cheaper to make and could be transported all over the country, which is what led to the dominance of the big players (Courage, Whitbread etc). Lager also made a big dent in beer sales for a long time, because fizzy piss is a bit easier to inhale in high volume.

Beer was always regional in the UK, because it tended to travel poorly. 2-day enzyme-riddled brews were easier and cheaper to make and could be transported all over the country, which is what led to the dominance of the big players (Courage, Whitbread etc). Lager also made a big dent in beer sales for a long time, because fizzy piss is a bit easier to inhale in high volume.

Not only did lager put a big dent in "beer" sales (lager is still beer but that's a whole other pointless arguement), it almost killed real ale. It's the entire reason for the creation of CAMRA.

I just like plain old beers.... This thread makes me feel left out.

Don't. A return to unpretentious beer consumption is long overdue. It's beer, and it's there for us all - to help forget and get laid.

Lager also made a big dent in beer sales for a long time, because fizzy piss is a bit easier to inhale in high volume.

Don't. A return to unpretentious beer consumption is long overdue. It's beer, and it's there for us all - to help forget and get laid.

i dont even know which side of the fence youre trying to be on

i dont even know which side of the fence youre trying to be on

There's beer and there's lager. I'm an Englishman, and I like beer.

Lager can be a useful substitute, when you're on a hot holiday in Europe, otherwise, it needs to be beer. Good beer, ideally, bad at a push.

I should probably admit that I'm currently drinking a stubby of nasty French piss lager, but I'm on holiday in the South of France, so it sort of tastes okay.

Myself and @DoctorTaco agree that Miller Lite is the GOAT beer. Therefore the United States is the continent with the best beer.

Budweiser is the greatest craft beer

French France?

Can you recommend a couple japanese whiskeys? I tried one several months back called kamikaze or something like that they charged me $18 for and TBH is wasn't that good. I bought a bottle of Oban later that night and it was sooooo much better.

I think IPA's are such a large % of the market because they're just plain easiest to brew. You don't need lagering temperatures and the hops will hide bad water source or leaching from your tanks.
I can't speak for Japanese single malt. Although I prefer single malt when I must choose, while in Japan I mostly had only blended whiskey; Suntory is the real deal. But if you're interested in trying Japanese liquor, I would go for the shochu, sake, umeshu, and if you can get it, awamori. Especially the awamori but you will likely have to go to Okinawa for that. There's a million brands, however, so I can't suggest one over another, truthfully.

Yes, thank you, I tried to make the same point earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back