Which continent has the best beer?

MoparOrNoCar

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
world-continent-map.jpg

There's 7 to choose from. What say you sherbros? Lets figure this beer shit out.

Europe, and it's not even close. North America's come a hell of a long way in the last couple of decades but we've been working on this shit for about 5000 years.

North America.

Although they drink a lot more in Europe, Europeans aren't into the craft beer scene as much as NA is.

Europe, and it's not even close. North America's come a hell of a long way in the last couple of decades but we've been working on this shit for about 5000 years.

Apparently you've never heard of golden Colorado with it's rocky mountain water and that high country barley.

Traditionally, Europe has been superior. Over the recent years, tons of microbreweries have popped up in North America. My friend who is a beer snob says NA is putting out some of the best beers in the world now.

7 to choose from?
Is Antarctica any good?

Last edited:
Traditionally, Europe has been superior. Over the recent years, tons of microbreweries have popped up in North America. My friend who is a beer snob says NA is putting out some of the best beers in the world now.
Yep. The US is catching up faaast, Some great microbrews in the US, some of the best I have had. Europe still crushes our common domestic beers. Samuel Adams is really the only big name US beer that can hang with the Euro beer.

Europe, Belgium in particular

The only problem with the US scene is IPA hop obsession. If you have any modicum of refinement in your palate, you'll generally loathe IPAs since few IPAs have balance.

i think its pretty clear the only viable answers are either north america or europe. i live in north america so have had a lot more of these beers and not that many great european beers. hard to give an unbiased answer there.

my favorite style of beer is stout/porter, and i think overall north america probably does that the best, along with IPAs. but i do like a lot of the belgian style beers as well

7 to chose from?
Is Antarctica any good?

The Yog-Sothoth make some good beers down there. Giant Penguins are known for their juicy IPAs. Don't get me started on Gwar's cuttlefish porter.

The only problem with the US scene is IPA hop obsession. If you have any modicum of refinement in your palate, you'll generally loathe IPAs since few IPAs have balance.

Problem is that people have no palate and want their watered down and tasteless shitbeers.

I think that the Belgian trappist ales are the best in the world, but as many have already stated, the US has a ton of craft breweries putting out excellent beer. It'd be difficult to say that there's anywhere in America making better beer than the Belgian monks but there's a ton of great beer here.

I'll give you an example of something I'm drinking this weekend. Saison Dupont is a fantastic Belgian farmhouse ale, and there's a brewery in Kansas City that makes a beer in the same farmhouse style called Tank 7. The American beer can be had at half the price and to me is just as good if not better. American beers are also typically easier to find since the distribution of Belgian beers is somewhat limited. You might find a bottle of Chimay or Orval at upscale supermarkets but other than that the options tend to be less than their American counterparts.

But seriously, if you can find this beer it's a must try:

Boulevard-Tank-7-2016.jpg

And the Belgian alternative:

saison-dupont-farmhouse-ale.jpg

I tend to be more of an amber ale and pale ale drinker but in the summertime it's nice to have something like these, because they're light and effervescent and refreshing. Although I love them, amber ales are more weighty and not the ideal thing on a hot day.

Last edited:
North america easy

Get started with some light american suds

Grab some mexican beers to keep that light refreshing taste going

Head to canada and try some great beers

I feel like what sets us apart right now is we're doing so many styles really well. European beers are better on average but in North America you can find pretty much anything brewed at a really high level.

And THB outside of the British Isles and Belgium, beers tend to get pretty boring in Europe. Germany makes a lot of nice styles of lager, but they don't tickle me that same way as the best ales do, and the US in particular is doing pretty much every style of ale and lager well and continuing to innovate.

My favorite brewery is actually Canadian- Unibroue. Pretty much everything they make is Belgian with a twist.

Back