Which combo is better, boxing/judo or boxing/BJJ?

thegamer96

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do boxing and a bit of BJJ, but was wondering which is better between BJJ/Boxing or Judo/Boxing and why

If you're looking at price, Judo/Boxing is a lot cheaper than doing BJJ/Boxing imo.

Well, it depends how much you care about having a ground game. With bjj and boxing you will have standup and ground. However, you will most likely suck at both takedowns, and takedown defense. Judo will give you excellent ways of taking the opponent down, however you may or may not be very good at stopping wrestling takedowns since you won't see them in class, and also once you're on the ground you'll only be sort-of barely ok at submitting them, though of course you could always ground and pound. It all boil down to what your priorities are

and also once you're on the ground you'll only be sort-of barely ok at submitting them, though of course you could always ground and pound. It all boil down to what your priorities are

Depends on ur goals.

Judo clinch work helps your boxing alot.

Mma, bjj and boxing is more complete

For MMA competition? Boxing/BJJ for straight grappling Judo/BJJ.

Well, it depends how much you care about having a ground game. With bjj and boxing you will have standup and ground. However, you will most likely suck at both takedowns, and takedown defense. Judo will give you excellent ways of taking the opponent down, however you may or may not be very good at stopping wrestling takedowns since you won't see them in class, and also once you're on the ground you'll only be sort-of barely ok at submitting them, though of course you could always ground and pound. It all boil down to what your priorities are

I've always liked the idea of being able to take people down and be able to fight standup. Are BJJ takedowns really that bad in comparison to Judo?

I've always liked the idea of being able to take people down and be able to fight standup. Are BJJ takedowns really that bad in comparison to Judo?

They are very rarely practiced in comparison to ground moves so I would say yes. However if you're fighting a striker with no grappling experience himself, even a terrible double leg will probably take him down. It depends what your goals are

Just train UFC. Or kyokushinkai and kosen judo.

A lot of BJJ schools really do lack a lot in takedowns and takedown defense.

They are very rarely practiced in comparison to ground moves so I would say yes. However if you're fighting a striker with no grappling experience himself, even a terrible double leg will probably take him down. It depends what your goals are

I'm not sure on my goals yet; I don't want to become an MMA fighter, but I want to know that I can beat people.

What if I did boxing, BJJ and Judo? Or is that too much? I heard Judo is hard on the body after a while.

Smith & Wesson... haha sorry I couldn't resist

The Diaz Brothers (Nick and Nate) use the Boxing/BJJ combination very well in UFC competition.

Nate Diaz:

'

Nick Diaz:

Last edited:
Its hard to give advice when we don't know your goals. It is even harder if you don't know them yourself. If you have no specific goals, try them all and do what is the most fun.

You can't really go wrong with either combination. Just my opinion.

Back