1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Which art is the best base for mma ?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by WALKERmma, Aug 23, 2010.

1. WALKERmma

WALKERmma Yellow Belt

in your opinion which art (judo/bjj/greco/freestyle/sambo...) is the best base for mma beginers

I am currently trying to decide which art to choose after alot of muay thai and boxing

can you help ?

2. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

folkstyle/freestyle

Jarvan likes this.
  3. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

4. Nick Kilian

Nick Kilian Amateur Fighter

Really don't think its the art, its the person. If you took a champ from one sport and reversed it and had them training in another form, they would still have been champions.

5. InfiniteWit

InfiniteWit Orange Belt

Empirically, folkstyle wrestling is. I'm going to support this by saying that 3/5 UFC champs have wrestling backgrounds. Even though wrestling doesn't give you the ability to finish fights as much as say BJJ it gives you the tools to win fights. Plus the work ethic that wrestling instills is great. Since this is a grappling forum I'm gonna go ahead and assume you mean grappling styles. Shogun and AS both have good BJJ so I guess you could argue for that as well. Besides everyone crosstrains so is anyone really a stylist anymore?

6. Butler

Butler Orange Belt

BJJ and freestyle wrestling are both safe bets.

Try both, do whichever floats your boat / has the best instruction.

7. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

If you are starting NOW after training some thai/boxing your grappling isn't a base anymore

You would have most use of BJJ and of course MMA training

even if you start wrestling/judo now you won't be that good

great bases to have but you should start it as young as possible

And you get better at BJJ quicker then the others

8. xcydal

xcydal I am in here.

Folkstyle/ freestyle.

9. KieranM

KieranM Green Belt

Catch wrestling

10. Fallen

Fallen Brown Belt

I agree that wrestling is probably the best base, but outside of Brock all the other champs are varied in their backgrounds. Anderson and Shogun are Muay Thai fighters with BJJ blackbelts and BJ is obviously from a BJJ base. GSP might use wrestling as his primary go-to, but his background is kyokushin or however you spell it. Still, I think wrestling (in general) is the best base for MMA...and I'm a bjj person. BJJ used to be the best, but our takedowns are severely lacking (well mine are, and a lot of people I know fit into that category as well).

EDIT: dear god, I forgot that Frankie was the LW champ lol...so yes 2/5 of the UFC champs have wrestling backgrounds. I was so used to BJ being the champ, and even more used to the idea that he wouldn't lose the belt, that I completely forgot about him losing.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  11. xcydal

xcydal I am in here.

Well there is this fact, too: All upcoming UFC title defences (including 117) have a D1 wrestler in them.

Bobbybackpack likes this.
  12. Fallen

Fallen Brown Belt

Yep, not to mention, most of the top guys in general (in each division) are all good wrestlers. Fact.

Bobbybackpack likes this.
  13. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

If you can only choose one art to train in it's gotta be BJJ, otherwise a grappler or wrestler will take you down and dominate you instantly.

Ideally though it's a combo of BJJ, wrestling, and muay thai or some other form of kickboxing.

14. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

cross-training is the best base for mma. Judo in theory gives you the balance of take downs as well as some submissions. I think if you trained judo with mma in ind from a young age you could do some stuff. But if you train judo as the Olympic sport then you will have very similar holes in your ground game as wrestlers do except without the awesome scrambling ability.

15. Strykerx

Strykerx Green Belt

If it's just one art a submission art gets my vote. This is also dependent on where you live. Sambo, Judo, BJJ, submission wrestling, all great arts. There is other factors to consider tho, Judo is losing their submissions for more emphasis on throws, Sambo is hard to find, BJJ is getting bigger, and with submission wrestling sometimes you have to research the instructor (there are phonies).

Ultimately in MMA unless you get KOed standing you get stopped on the ground whether it be via KO, TKO, or Sub. So I stress the importance of ground fighting to allow yourself to get out of harms way.

16. cooltoon999

cooltoon999 Orange Belt

Well you guys have to remember the reason why there are a lot of wrestlers in the UFC is that it's a lot easier to sell a fighter who can take someone down and pound his face in, then methodically break him down and finish him...

17. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Not taking anything away from wrestling (I wrestled actually) -

But to the people talking about all the champs, contenders, and just fighters coming from wrestling backgrounds, you have to remember it's the United States, and our martial art is pretty much wrestling. I think that has much more to do with it, and the fact there's little money in wrestling, than folkstyle magically dominating all other styles.

18. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

Pointless to point out that so and so many champs and fighters come from a wrestling background

THEY HAVE DONE IT SINCE THEY WERE KIDS, it takes longer to be really good at it

for a old teenager or 20+ BJJ is way better then wrestling

19. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

Meh, There are plenty of Brazilians fighting also and many times the caliber of BJJ guy is at or among the best in the world. Roger, Jacare, Penn, Maia etc... and so on...

As far as Judo and wrestling goes the best pretty much stay focused on what they do until they are older.

IMO that aspect is a wash.

20. Galahad

Galahad Orange Belt

Hey, knoxpk, I'm not exactly sure what you meant by your post, but I assume you're disagreeing with me.

You don't see a correlation between US MMA and numeroust folkstyle wrestlers, MMA in Brazil and numerous BJJ guys, and MMA fighters in Japan with judo/shooto backgrounds?