Which are the most competitive weight classes in Muay Thai right now?

Kanka

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
It seems like the competitive weight classes have shifted upwards a bit in the last few years. What do you think?

It seems like the competitive weight classes have shifted upwards a bit in the last few years. What do you think?
It only makes sense. The average 40 or 50 year old in thailand is probably about 5 ft 5in's or less. The average 18 year old in thailand now is probably about 5ft 8in's or more.

The most famous guys are all above 130 pounds iirc. I believe the best fights among these guys are around 132-135 pounds but 135-140 which used to be foreign friendly territory is now filled with elite thais.

As for the "most competitive", it could be any weight class regardless of the guys being famous or not. I have no idea really which one it is.

If you look at someone like satanmuanglek. He would be such a star if he was fighting at a higher weight and probably earning more money. I actually feel sorry for him a bit. He deserves to be well paid. The amount of great fights he has been in.

Actually I think the main difference is just that we are seeing more economic opportunities developing and higher weight classes and all the hype that goes with it. MT athletes like other combat sports athletes hit their peak after they have been competing professionally for about 10 years, at that time they seem to bell curve out from the 112-122 range.

Back