Which are the best and worst rash guards?

Piranha rash guards are really good allthough its not a famous brand it has a very very hi quality and almost 1/4th of the price i really plan on buying more also there really good for grappling and its the closest thing to grappling shirtless without the staph infection :D.

it also has really good customer service...

Just placed an order for 2 rupture rashies. Tried to order some adroits too but they didn't have my size.

manto rashguards are just awesome...i love mine!

Just placed an order for 2 rupture rashies. Tried to order some adroits too but they didn't have my size.

I just text my friend earlier and said he's putting another order in soon, so check back. Thanks for trying though.

Guys, thanks, first of all, for the business.

One of our employees gave me the idea to post something like this on our website, but I'll post it here also. Whether you order from us or not, here are a few quick tips on buying compression rash guards for grappling and Mixed Martial Arts.

Fabric and construction

- Fabric: A nylon/lycra blend is preferred over polyester. Nylon/lycra is more expensive, but definitely worth it in the long run, for both durability and yield. It also has a much nicer hand (softness and feel). Polyester wears out much faster and tends to retain odor. One advantage that polyester offers is better moisture management, but moisture wicking technology has more than equaled the playing field.

- Construction: Look for flatlock stitching on the fabric panels and triple stitching on the sleeves and bottom piece with reinforced backing. This will ensure your rash guard doesn't fall apart at the seams after you roll a few times.

Design vs. Functionality

- What are the top 2 complaints regarding rash guards? Without a doubt, the runaway winner is that grappling rash guards ride up on your stomach, back and sometimes chest while you roll or fight. The second is badly placed seams that chafe athletes during training. Just like the badly constructed gi jacket with the seam down the middle of the back, rash guards have similar issues. There's an example in this forum of a rash guard that has a unique design with seams running in the middle of the back and chest. Guess what - that will bother grapplers when they're rolling.

The primary purpose of a great rash guard is to protect the athlete wearing it, not inhibit their performance. It is the first line of defense between skin on the athlete's upper torso and everything else. Grappling rash guards should be tailored longer and be constructed so that rolling upwards during training is minimized or eliminated. As well, seams that meet under the arm pit, across the back or across the chest make for interesting designs and bad functional rash guards.

A 6 panel fabric design is optimal for both long and short sleeve rash guards. This ensures maximum mobility and fabric yield under wet and dry conditions. Chest and back panels should be constructed of one vertical piece. Side panels should not have seams under the arms like long-sleeve t-shirts - that is the highest friction point of any upper body garment due to arm movement - and instead should run down the length of the sleeve. The last two panels should be above the shoulder area, where the athlete encounters the least amount of friction.

Chemical Treatment

Moisture wicking technology and anti-microbial treatments are standard and should be expected in any high quality rash guard. Note: anti-microbial does not mean leave your rash guard in your gym bag for a few days then wear it the next class - you know who you are :). SPF protection is great for surfers or outdoor athletes that prefer to train in rash guards. It is not as important for grapplers or MMA fighters unless they train outside quite a bit.

Design or Logo Printing

Dye sublimation is preferred whenever possible. Unlinke plastisol with a stretch based additive, sublimation is permanent and will not peel off. We've all seen the rash guards with logos half hanging off or peeling after a few uses. Sublimation is easy on polyester and notoriously difficult on nylon/lycra, though that is changing due to advancements in technology. In cases where sublimation is not possible, a water-based ink for synthetic materials should be used during the printing process. This does not "quite" equal sublimation, but the ink will bleed into the fabric, ensuring a logo that lasts and doesn't peel off.

The Rupture Signature Rash Guard meets all of these criteria. Our US-made rash guards have been widely recognized as the runaway leader for quality and price by the grappling and MMA community. Make sure your next rash guard is constructed and designed to these standards.

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. Some random nag points:

Hanging neck tags do not belong on rash guards. Period. One of the most annoying things about buying a rash guard with a hanging neck tag is the constant scraping across the neck by a hard tag. T-shirt manufacturers got wise to this long ago and started printing tagless shirts.

Tight compression fit across chest, loose fit bottom. Please pick one or the other. What's the point, really?

Last edited:
I am a big guy about 270 5'11 is there a better Rash gaurd for big boys?

Just got my Rupture rashies in the mail and they are NICE. Sturdy construction and I'm liking the mobility in the arms.

WAY better than the Adidas one and WalMart ones I've been wearing.

I'll have to get some more down the road.

Those Rupture Rash Guards look exactly like the Bad Boy and Revgear rash guards.

Not a bad thing because I love my Bad Boy rash guards.

the shipping to germany took its time, but last week my rupture rashguard arrived.
customs once again fucked me up, but that

Anyone got feedback on Hayabusa rash gaurds. They look so awesome, but they are a bit expensive- Though I dont mind paying for it if itl last me long. The design just looks amazing on them.

The absolute worst rash guard I ever used was an Everlast. Withing one grappling session the stitching behind the neck started to come undone. After 7-8 grappling sessions the material on the back started balling up and the neck stitching is becoming worse.

Manto is rock solid though!

My custom Jungle Gym Manto rash guard is really nice, never have had a problem with it. Only thing is that it collects some lint, but other than that its awesome.

Anyone got feedback on Hayabusa rash gaurds. They look so awesome, but they are a bit expensive- Though I dont mind paying for it if itl last me long. The design just looks amazing on them.

Design and material are very good, very comfy to wear, but they are quite loose on the stomach and a little short and tend to creep up when training (I train muay thai with those). Also the neck is a little low, I get rash from clinching sometimes. They are showing some wear on the arms after just a few months, though that might be from using a dryer when washing (I stopped).
I think I prefer under armours (which also feel more ventilated), or even surfing rash guards, because they are longer and tighter on the stomach/hips.

UNDER ARMOUR best ever... I would never ever buy rash guards from a mma company again they totally suck.

Design and material are very good, very comfy to wear, but they are quite loose on the stomach and a little short and tend to creep up when training (I train muay thai with those). Also the neck is a little low, I get rash from clinching sometimes. They are showing some wear on the arms after just a few months, though that might be from using a dryer when washing (I stopped).
I think I prefer under armours (which also feel more ventilated), or even surfing rash guards, because they are longer and tighter on the stomach/hips.

thanks for the feedback- lol but they look so damn cool!!! But my local MMA gym sells Renzo gracie rash guards I guess il go with that and represent the team instead! I just found out today.

I've been using the $8 starter ones, and they've held up fine under a gi...havent tried one in nogi yet.

That's something I want to research/review for my site next month is a couple rashguards. Just need to hit up a few vendors to see if anyone has any they'd like reviewed specifically.

Back