Which all time boxer would you pick to teach a beginner

Yeah but "a beginner" isn't a specific type of fighter. Who I would recommend to someone with Tommy hearns build and athleticism and someone with Lennox or Abner would vary wildly

Dang man....the guy you are teaching would need glasses from watching alot of tape.

haha yeah. lots of thai guys. I guess Galaxy stood out for his SNC in particular. That really was one of his big selling points as a fighter; not necessarily super technical, but he could wear you down. The Thai attitude of devoting your life to combat sports is one that leads them to maintain excellent levels of fitness.

oh, Tokuyama could outside fight excellently as well, I'd love to take lessons with him on getting my jab down.

Hearns could teach me how to sit down on my punches properly, no doubt.

Burley, Archie Moore, joe Louis, and jmm. Some of this is pointless because mimicking someone who is doing stuff you don't understand the whys to doesn't work.

lol nice.
edit: @moz and the McCain thing

McCallum or Hopkins would be my personal choice. Both guys that were cerebral about what they were doing. Maybe they have a hard time articulating it, but the information is there in abundance if you can pull it out of them.

I think somebody mentioning that Sinister trained with McCallum, which is awesome. Definitely one of the guys I'd go with.

technique, technique and technique again is what you should teach a beginner.

I'd say Alexis Arguello or Ricardo Lopez

Floyd. Defense first.

Floyd's extreme athleticism is what allows him to pull off the tricks he does. Not everyone has the blinding speed to shoulder roll and counter with the same efficiency or shoot that murderous jab to the body and avoid a return. Mayweather is one of a kind. While I agree that defense is most important, imitating Floyd is not a great idea.

I would say some good ATG's to imitate would be Joe Louis, Bernard Hopkins, Marvin Hagler, Salvador Sanchez. Intelligent ring craftsmen with no supernatural physical attributes. They were great athletes but nothing like Mayweather/RJJ/SRL.

Well. Im not saying it like you received it. what Im saying is that the more situations a fighter has been in, the more information he has to share with the inexperienced.

I took it exactly how it was said. But I agree with that, more experience generally means more information.

Nice, why Lopez over Marquez considering their similarities and background?

I think Lopez was a bit more versatile than Marquez (less dependent on the counter). Not that there is much to not like about Marquez, but I think Lopez was more adept at making his own offense and fighting on the front foot. That could have something to do with Lopez being more physically gifted relative to weight, though.

they all have a lot to offer. People are still ripping off Ali even though he is the last guy any average fighter should copy, he did plenty of revolutionary, unorthodox stuff that worked.

I think Lopez was a bit more versatile than Marquez (less dependent on the counter). Not that there is much to not like about Marquez, but I think Lopez was more adept at making his own offense and fighting on the front foot. That could have something to do with Lopez being more physically gifted relative to weight, though.

Good analysis

Ricardo Lopez was a great fighter but he would lead with an uppercut or an overhand right and fundamentally not sound for a beginner....Archie Moore used that cross armed defense that George Foreman adopted effectively but it seems hard to counter off of it. Hopkins and Arguello were masters and it worked for them but did not have complete box of tools to teach.

Hopkins/Ward.

Honestly, it would depend on what you're working with in terms of raw skill set, and then you should decide how to best train them IMO.

Lennox's jab had a lot to do with his natural size and athleticism.. I would much rather learn from Ike Quartey how to throw a good jab.. being that Im not 6'5 with cheetar speed

Quatey's jab was a thing of beauty. DLH had a good jab, but Ike 's was magic.

I gotcha. I agree with the analysis, though both guys tended to be on the front foot more than not, Finito seems a little more aggressive in general, which might have been influenced by his build at the weight - and the natural abilities. Someone said it best about Marquez before me (I can't remember who exactly, but to paraphrase) "knocking down Marquez is like pressing the 'on' button of an ass kicking machine." He was content until you gave him something to worry about, but then he gave you hell.

Andre Ward.

Nothing overy impressive about him physically, just extremely sound through various styles/techniques.

I gotcha. I agree with the analysis, though both guys tended to be on the front foot more than not, Finito seems a little more aggressive in general, which might have been influenced by his build at the weight - and the natural abilities. Someone said it best about Marquez before me (I can't remember who exactly, but to paraphrase) "knocking down Marquez is like pressing the 'on' button of an ass kicking machine." He was content until you gave him something to worry about, but then he gave you hell.

It was probably Sinister and he was right. Unless you knock Marquez cold, dealing with him down is going to be absolute hell when he gets up. Interstingly enough, it would seem Mayweather was aware of at least something resembling that as he really kept his distance after flooring Marquez hard (Marquez was legitimately hurt).

Andre Ward.

Nothing overy impressive about him physically, just extremely sound through various styles/techniques.

Yes and no. I feel as if he's abnormally quick and strong for his weight. I mean, he's a gear or two ahead of most, and he dominates everyone on the inside.

Back