Which 5x5 to do?

Artigo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've decided to go back to a 5x5 after doing 5/3/1 for 3 months. However, I'm not sure which one to choose from Bill Starr 5x5 - Starting Strength Wiki OR if it is feasible to modify the protocols to fit my specific wants. I'm obviously not a strength coach so I'm not sure if modifying is best.

Would it be feasible to do the standard 5x5 and on the light day, ramp up to a max set of 5x5 on DL instead of light power cleans?

Also, could I do pull ups after each work out or should I do a grease the groove method instead?

Which 5x5 do you mean? There are a lot, and it's best for things to be clear.

Would it be feasible to do the standard 5x5 and on the light day, ramp up to a max set of 5x5 on DL instead of light power cleans?

Then it wouldn't be a light day anymore.

Also, could I do pull ups after each work out or should I do a grease the groove method instead?

Either could work, but generally stay away from failure, or grinding reps. How many pull-ups/how much added wieght can you do now? What is your goal for pull-ups?

Which 5x5 do you mean? There are a lot, and it's best for things to be clear.

Then it wouldn't be a light day anymore.

DL is my favorite lift and the one I'm best at, so I would like to include it somewhere at least and I have no desire to do BoR/dynamic rows

Either could work, but generally stay away from failure, or grinding reps. How many pull-ups/how much added wieght can you do now? What is your goal for pull-ups?
around 4-5 for 3 sets.

My goal is to be able to do ten dead hang pullups consistently, so for sets I suppose.

Just google madcow 5x5.
What are your numbers? If you are still not too strong you might want to just do SS for now.

Bill Starr 5x5 - Starting Strength Wiki

There are a couple routines here that have you ramping deadlifts to a 5rm on the heavy day.

You can either do grease the groove with pull-ups, or do them at the end of your workouts, but for now, stick with lots of triples, avoid failure and grinding reps. Once it's easy to do lots of triples, then work on sets of 4 and so on.

Bill Starr 5x5 - Starting Strength Wiki

There are a couple routines here that have you ramping deadlifts to a 5rm on the heavy day.

You can either do grease the groove with pull-ups, or do them at the end of your workouts, but for now, stick with lots of triples, avoid failure and grinding reps. Once it's easy to do lots of triples, then work on sets of 4 and so on.

Alright I'll give the Madcow 5x5 a go and then do some pullups

I appreciate the help everyone

One more question: how much rest is advisable between sets of the 5x5? Could I do 5 minutes before my lest set?

One more question: how much rest is advisable between sets of the 5x5? Could I do 5 minutes before my lest set?

As much as needed, but not too much more.

Back