Which 2014 hype-train did you enjoy watching be killed?

This thread has taught me even great fighters who lose to other great fighters were nothing but "hype trains". Seriously, the amount the average poster on Sherdog understands about fighting decreases every year.

Melendez

No longer have to hear about him being "The best LW on the planet" only took like 10 years

TS is begging for Jones ITD.

Rory MacDonald first loss was a great derail for me.

Melendez and Hendricks, on the same night as well. So sweet

Mitrione demolishing The Black Beast in the first round.

Alvarez and Barao are experienced and proven fighters. IMO, neither of them qualify.

The Alvarez hype was more to do with how long it took him to sign with the UFC. Anyone looking at the Cerrone fight objectively knew that it would likely be a tough fight. Timing is always important and let's face it, Cerrone's been on a role lately.

As for Barao, yeah I know the UFC had just started throwing around "elite striker" and "P4P" and then he turns around and gets smashed but Barao was beating contenders decisively. The hype was warranted.

This thread has taught me even great fighters who lose to other great fighters were nothing but "hype trains". Seriously, the amount the average poster on Sherdog understands about fighting decreases every year.

More and more people remove context in order to maximize the dramatic effect of their posts.

An example being Condit only being 1-3 in his last 4 fights while ignoring the quality of his opponents or that he was injured. Or simply saying that BJ Penn was overrated because of his 16-10 record. Context is important.

Cormier's :)

I don't hate the guy, just the hype behind him is really ridiculous and annoying.

And yes, the hype ends in first days of 2015 but still it belongs to 2014 IMO :)

Sergio Pettis

Highly touted & hyped, but lost to Bruce Lee Roy, got dropped & got dropped again by some lesser fighter in his last fight.

His hype train has been damage, I think he can fix it & keep going. We'll see, I wouldn't say I enjoyed it tho.

The hype talk is so stupid around here. Seriously, most people "hyping" Alverez were just saying he is a great fighter who could do well in the UFC. Maybe like 10% of those people ever even said he would be the UFC champ. What hype train got derailed? I swear it's just a phantom train you guys blew out of proportion so you could hate on a fighter you never watched fight since you only watch the UFC.

Threads like these show how dumb the average Sherdog user is

Complains MMA doesn't have enough stars, but then wants to see hype trains derailed. Lol mma fans are so dumb

Cormier's :)

I don't hate the guy, just the hype behind him is really ridiculous and annoying.

And yes, the hype ends in first days of 2015 but still it belongs to 2014 IMO :)

681581.gif

Why are people mentioning proven fighters? Even former champions, lol.
Which begs the question, if people like Cain are being mentioned, who isn't all hype?

MMA fans are a fickle bunch, I tell ya.

Which begs the question, if people like Cain are being mentioned, who isn't all hype?

MMA fans are a fickle bunch, I tell ya.

I'd attribute it more to their lack of intelligence than being fickle. MMA fans are the biggest group of people who think they know way more about "their sport" than they actually do.

Back