Whey/Casein Blend superior to Whey Post workout

Some people consider his word as god. Look guys. A LOT of you are splitting hairs over something that most likely wouldn't matter to 99% of you. Keep it to the basics. Once you can bench, deadlift, and squat twice your weight, then you might need some tweaking:)

Ha! My total is almost THREE TIMES my body weight so I guess I have to break out my slide rule and my crack scale to make PWO shakes.

Not to that extent. Point is, lots of guys worry over minute details that will have very little to do with your training. if you are truelly X3 on all three of the big three, thats cool, but realize 95% of those that ask these hair splitting questions are nowhere near that.

Fish oil, vitamins, protein, EAA, BCAA's, Ashwaghanda, good clean food.

That's basically what myself and others take. its the basics and more, not to mention its all most people need.

If they are a pro fighter making weight needing proper recovery etc the game changes. But AGAIN thats hardly anyone hear.

Whey protein gets into the bloodstream quickly to help begin muscle repair, while casein takes a long time to digest, thus preventing the breakdown of muscle tissue for several hours.

The combo of whey and casein is ideal for those reasons.

exactly, its not like consuming a slow digesting protein like casein would slow the absorbtion of whey

exactly, its not like consuming a slow digesting protein like casein would slow the absorbtion of whey

aaaaaaaaaaactually that is exactly what happens. That said, depending on the ratio of the two and the other details in place, the delay doesn't outweigh the positive benefits. whey+casein works better than either alone.

If you wanted to be hardcore you could split them up. Drink whey and then drink casein like 30 minutes later, for every single shake you take. I'm not sure if that has ever been tested (because it is kind of impractical). Suffice it to say, nobody reading this needs to do that.

No it's not. The reason whey and casein work better together has nothing to do with casein slowing the whey. Its a new way of thinking that casein slows it, science has yet to prove it. If whey was slowed down then why even drink it. I mean really, duh.

Just like Milk does not slow the process down. Pick up a physiology book, or any grad level nutrition book. Types of protein consumed around the same time have no bearing on direct corelation of amino digestion and protein being used properly either.

It isn't even close to needed. as far as your last paragraph goes.

The reason whey and casein work better together has nothing to do with casein slowing the whey.

I know, I did not say that.

Just to be clear I'll try again: while casein slows gastric emptying compared to whey, and therefore slows gastric emptying of a whey+casein mix more than a whey mix, it doesn't slow it down enough to concern anyone here.

The slowing is so minimal its splitting hairs and not worth mentioning, that's my point.

I've never been able to find the study referenced below... maybe one of you guys can dig it up somewhere.

Bos, C, et al. British Journal of Nutrition. 81, 221-226, 1999

Here's a quote from Berardi referencing this study...

Milk protein is composed of 80% casein and 20% whey. Milk is interesting in that, believe it or not, the whey and casein fractions are absorbed separately. In one study, subjects consumed skimmed milk and were evaluated over the course of eight hours. With milk-protein ingestion, there's a rapid rise in blood amino acids within one hour (probably as a result of the whey fraction), a plateau from one to three hours (a combination of simultaneous whey and casein absorption), and then there's a progressive decline over the course of the next eight hours. However, blood amino acids are still elevated at the eight hour point as a result of the casein fraction.

If his analysis of the above study is correct, casein does not slow the absorption of whey... if it does, it wouldn't probably be by an insignificant amount. I've looked several times for that study and could never find it.

If people spent half as much time worrying about ALL of their meals throughout the day as they did their postworkout shake, there would be a LOT more strong, lean, well-recovered and ready-to-kick-ass lifters out there.

I've never been able to find the study referenced below... maybe one of you guys can dig it up somewhere.

Bos, C, et al. British Journal of Nutrition. 81, 221-226, 1999

Here's a quote from Berardi referencing this study...

If his analysis of the above study is correct, casein does not slow the absorption of whey... if it does, it wouldn't probably be by an insignificant amount. I've looked several times for that study and could never find it.

Holy shit , you mean I was right:icon_chee Thanks for digging that up though Monger.

As for the post above me, you are right on with that.

Back