Where's your head when you lift?

I like to yell " Light weight. Light weight buddy"
j/k

I'm mostly pretty relaxed during my workouts. Sometimes if I'm doing squats or dips(not sure why only these 2) I'll watch a boondock hl. I then tell the bar I'm going to smash it and think of Cro Cop kicking peoples heads off. I usually have a pretty good squat workout when I do this.

I used to be an angry lifter. I used to try and psyche the holy crap out of myself. You wouldn't see me smile the entire time I was in the gym. PR's were met by scowls and "FUCK YEAH!" and it never felt quite right. Things have changed a bit recently. I started intentionally smiling, finding a "happy place," and it didn't even take a one handed golf veteran to show me the way. Neuro linguistic programming gave me the idea, in essence, by implying we display greater strength when happy than when sad. So I started thinking of the good times in my life when I was at the gym, those moments I really cherish, hugs from loved ones, nights out with close friends, times of seemingly effortless, flawless success despite the odds. and I found my middle ground. Not wise man on the mountain calm, but not bloodthirsty angry.

Sure, the happy place I go is a little darker than most, and the archetype is more trickster and savage than enlightened savior, but I find myself enjoying the workout more. It's a strange lycanthropic confidence: knowing I can make the lift, not trying to fight against it. Chalk up, Run my tongue from canine to canine across my incisors, smile, and grab the weight. And win or lose I feel good.

Where's your head when you lift?

I psyche up to some rock like I did when I was a kid, and I get the same adrenaline rush I did when I was a kid, and I go and pick up the weights.

When lifting lately it seems the location of my head is lodged squarely in my ass.

I lifted lava rocks on a cliff by the ocean last week in Hawaii. My family laughed at me.

I try to be calm as well and concentrate on not messing up. Sometimes listening to ****l helps, other times I just repeat to myself something simplistic. "Bar goes up. Bar goes down. Bar goes up Bar goes down. Up. Down..."

j/k

I'm mostly pretty relaxed during my workouts. Sometimes if I'm doing squats or dips(not sure why only these 2) I'll watch a boondock hl. I then tell the bar I'm going to smash it and think of Cro Cop kicking peoples heads off. I usually have a pretty good squat workout when I do this.

I definately keep the "its light, its easy, this is easy..." etc. going..otherwise very empty clear mind..which, weights (during set) is one of the few times my mind stops going all ADD on me.

I REALLY will be yelling Haduuuken when I get back a form-check vid up.

That, will effect my new pr's.

j/k

Watch two HL's and you'll bench twice as much.

Honestly, glad you enjoy the vids, bro.

For the heaviest set, the one that <i>counts</i>, I'll picture a loved one in trouble.

An example would be where my dad's been suddenly trapped under a car, and if I can't move it, <i><b>NOW</i></b>.... Well, you know.

Another one, recently, is picturing seeing my ex and another guy out at a bar/club/eatery. I picture hitting him so hard he flies through the air, across the establishment, and my rage conquers all.

I often use very strong X-Men/Superman movies or other special effect imagery before I lift. Like the ground "spider-webbing" under my feet because I push down so hard when I pull the deadlift up, etc.

I often lift with my eyes closed and totally focus on every rep. I kind of try to get my mind into the working muscles to squeeze the last bit out of them.

But there have also been times when I completelly flipped and slapped myself before the lift.

For the heaviest set, the one that <i>counts</i>, I'll picture a loved one in trouble.

An example would be where my dad's been suddenly trapped under a car, and if I can't move it, <i><b>NOW</i></b>.... Well, you know.

Yeah I would do this but if I fail the lift it will mess with my head.

Oh Boondock I do watch you vids in between sets. But watching 2 at a time would take too long, I prefer to alternate between Hurt and Furious Angels. 3rd man just doesn't have the music to pump me up :D

My head is usually near the crotch of another guy when I lift.

and thats when you're doing squats!

I would have to say for me personally I'm quite a zoned out kinda guy in the gym.
I used to be quite 'intense' and angry with it, but that seems to have gone like you.

Although I do bang my head against the wall if I'm in a mood and fail on a lift. I'm quite thick headed but i think the dull thuds un nerve people

"Lifting" these days is limited to whatever weird shit my PT has me doing (bands and isometrics mostly). So I'm normally just looking back on life wondering where the hell I went wrong.

This place is like a fucking soap

Whats happened to you?

but usually angry because off how weak I am as well. I'm also a jealous person, that would creep in and make me pissed of as hell. I can't control those emotions however so it's hard to think happy thoughts lol.

I can go into the gym with whatever feeling or thoughts. I like to try to focus on my plan ahead of time but a day can really escape a person sometimes with work/family commitments. I like to have a solid plan thought out in my head.

but 'when I lift' i feel awesome. I've always enjoyed weights. it really makes me happy, I feel good about myself. I feel like i accomplish something.

My goal in my mind is to loose wieght through cardio and lower weight/higher rep lifting. but when i start pushing, i just want to load up and see how much i can move. I KNOW I should focus on high rep/lower weight BUT it feels like a cop out and not nearly as fun for whatever reason.

So I guess the overall where my head is at how good i feel for lifting and I'm happy.

someone on the first page posted about the environment dictates the mood. That is true for me to a degree. I get a bit competitive. and I do like to look at female Volley Ball players. But all the time I'm pretty happy to be there and do what I do. Like mowing the lawn on a hot day, just feels good.

My goal in my mind is to loose wieght through cardio and lower weight/higher rep lifting. but when i start pushing, i just want to load up and see how much i can move. I KNOW I should focus on high rep/lower weight BUT it feels like a cop out and not nearly as fun for whatever reason.

Low weight/high rep is the COP OUT!!!!! Lift heavy, dammit.

Low weight/high rep is the COP OUT!!!!! Lift heavy, dammit.

heavy and light is a relative term--if you reach a point where you can do 350-400lbs for high reps, it is anything but a cop-out.

Back