Where would Tyrone Spong rank in the UFC LHW now and in 2 years

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
He has said he would leave everything else if the UFC offered him the right type of deal.

I know hes still somewhat of a mystery to the casual UFC fan, but if he was to come to the UFC and focus only on training UFC, how would he do over the next couple years?

His 2nd fight in the World Series of Fighting didnt look that impressive in terms of a highlight reel knockout, but he had a smart/safe gameplan and got the decision.

Would anyone stand and trade with him or would they simply do whatever they could to take him down. He seems to have a pretty good chin.

He's the most decorated kickboxer in the whole division, with good enough TD and groundgame he can be a world beater.

idk...i dont thin he could beat top ground guys, but he does look great standing

Haven't really seen him with good competition enough to say how he is right now.... but in 2 years, definitely a title contender, maybe even title holder. I feel he's in the right camp with the right guys to have a vast improvement on his game

On the UFC side, they need to bring in this guy immediately... the HW and LHW divisions are both lacking young talented prospects and bringing in Spong would strengthen the LHW division again

So would he be similar to pre BigFoot Overeem, but wouldnt get knocked out as much with a better chin and obviously less powerful people hitting him being in a lower weight class

Didnt he compete at HW for kickboxing?

Styles make fights.

I would love to see him fight Silva at 205. Is it crazy to think he could beat Anderson? I wish Silva was 32 again.

He should make his debut against Cung Le

Right now, not ranked.

In 2 years, let's see his improvements and then decide. Right now, he's not an elite MMA striker even though he may be the best pure kickboxer. He lets the chance of takedown hold him back. Let's see if he can become confident in his sprawl and let his standup go.

I think he'd do very well, his style is well suited to MMA. I would expect him to break the top 10 in a year or two. But I think a few more fights outside the UFC first would benefit him to keep building his takedown defense and ground game.

right type of deal = huge amount of money

So I don't think UFC sign him.
He could get more money from Glory + WSOF.

He would be taken down and submitted unless he developed great takedown defense and sub defense.

If he came now he'd be ranked top 10-15 probably, which would be terrible for him since he's still basically a striker with little to no ground game. In a few years if he keeps fighting and training and he came in he'd probably be in the same place, ranking wise, but his skillset would be much more rounded and he'd be better able to make a serious run in the division.

He has good power and good hips for not training in mma that long, but given that, he'd be a toss up in fights against tough wrestlers or BJJ aces. Strikers is what would be preferred, but lets not forget that hes been dropped in a few kickboxing fights (duut, saki, overeem).

He obv is a very expensive fighter plus he probably couldnt fight in Glory anymore.
so my guess is he wouldnt be ranked because he wouldnt be signed at all.

right type of deal = huge amount of money

So I don't think UFC sign him.
He could get more money from Glory + WSOF.

How much does Glory pay him because I believe he only makes like 50-60k with win bonus for WSOF and fights like maybe 4 times a year assuming no injuries

Wouldnt the UFC pay him like 150 show, 150 win. I know he would put on exciting fights win or lose, lets face it, most of the audience loves exciting strikers over wrestlers/grapplers anyday.

I think he's too late to the game. His last fight was against a guy who is a chubby, short LHW who should be fighting at WW, and he couldn't put him away. He'll not get the ground game to effectively use his standup.

He gets wrecked by any wrestler and does good against strikers

I think he's too late to the game. His last fight was against a guy who is a chubby, short LHW who should be fighting at WW, and he couldn't put him away. He'll not get the ground game to effectively use his standup.

You're supposed to say future GOAT. Dick.

Back