Where to train in brazil?

judea

White Belt
Reaction score
ok guys, few questions about where to train in brazil..
I Know there are some threads about training in brazil but i didnt get the info i'm looking for.

i'm planning on going to brazil next year or so, to train mostly BJJ and muay thai.
my budget is around 1500 USD per month, for 6-8 months.

1. where? - are there places that i can train high level BJJ with good muay thai on a daily basis? (6 days a week)

2. costs - how much does training costs? how much does it costs to rent a room or a flat? food prices? etc...

3. other classes - places that in addition give classes in mma and wrestling is nice...

about me - i'm traning for 2.5 years now in BJJ (i also compete) and kickboxing (k1 style) ...

any info would help, thanks!

well

if you want to focus alot on muay thai also, I wouln't know it. I'd say Chute Boxe in Curitiba but i think everyone left there to the long beach new HQ.

for housing , you'll have to calculate for atleast 750R$ for a decent shared room place

trainings will be around 150 - 200 R$ and to gyms who offer both Muay Thai and BJJ, you might need to pay more for entry to both classes

Stay at connectionrio - can be as low as R750 a month if you stay in the dorms.

Gordo's is round the corner, they have vale tudo classes, bjj 3-4 classes a day, a muay thai instructor (think he runs a class 5 days a week)- and Jack McGee runs a couple of thai classes a week in the evening.

food costs vary depending on how well you want to eat, but some guys get by on R60 a week, but I probably spent that on eating each day I was there!

Also you're in a house full of people that are "differently" motivated when it comes to training. the gringo classes at gordos were awesome in my experience- it's a little different to a class full of people that drove a little bit to get the gym or walked there for just another days training, everyone in the room flew x hundred miles to get on those mats.

Anyway hope you check them out, there's a great experience to be had there.

I would also suggest coming to Rio and training at Gordo's Academy. It has all the things the last guy suggested and the people you'll live with are serious about training.

if you are serious about coming to Brazil the first thing you should do is read the thread "moving to Brazil 05/06/09 in the sticky threads. It outlines my first trip here, my return home to sell everything and my life now, living in Brazil.

If you have any questions at all I can help you out, or I can find someone to help you out.

I would also suggest coming to Rio and training at Gordo's Academy. It has all the things the last guy suggested and the people you'll live with are serious about training.

if you are serious about coming to Brazil the first thing you should do is read the thread "moving to Brazil 05/06/09 in the sticky threads. It outlines my first trip here, my return home to sell everything and my life now, living in Brazil.

If you have any questions at all I can help you out, or I can find someone to help you out.

Would you recommend Gordo's if all someone wanted was BJJ?

Is this the right place?
Evolve Barra da Tijuca - Evolve Mixed Martial Arts

the comma was in the wrong place there it should say

"It outlines my first trip here, my return home to sell everything, and my life now living in Brazil.

How are you staying there so long, the Visa states you can only stay in Brazil no more than 6 months in a year. My company has offices there and I'm working on getting a transfer there but I still need to polish my Portuguese up before I can try. Then once I meet the residency requirements I'll apply for dual citizenship.

If you want to live in Rio then check out Nova Geracao, they have BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing and also a MMA team. You can see their schedule here: horario
It is a Carlson Gracie school which produced Cybor Abreau.
Here is the english version of their site: Centro de Lutas Nova Gera

Also, Gannas (poster above me) trained at Nova Geracao in Rio so he can probably answer more questions about that than me if you have any.

Yeah Nova Geracao is a great place to train when in Rio. Very friendly place, lots of State Champs and as mentioned already its Cyborgs home Academy. Lots of big names come through or came from there, Rodrigo Medeiros is another.

I stayed in the Leblon area when I was in Rio, me and a few other guys had an apartment two blocks away from Leblon beach. We walked everywhere we needed to go and the Leblon area is very clean and safe at night. We would be out walking to get food or drinks till 3-4am a lot of nights. I highly recommend having a Milkeshake de Acai at Bibi Sucos.

Back