where to punch

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by justkidin, Oct 11, 2010.

1. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

I have what may be a very dumb question, however I cannot find any information on the subject. I am a wrestler by trade and have recently been dabbling in MMA(surprise right?) Now I approached this task with a "fu*k it, I'll give it a shot" mentality, and have paid for it. I am currently 1-2. But I was able to find out that I love doing it. I am going to be joining a gym in the next couple of weeks, but what I really want to know is where do you aim your punches? I know its dumb but I have never trained ANY standup. I was really good at timing and accuracy, but I didn't really know where to aim, So I aimed for the nose every time. I did make contact with most all of my punches, but I wish to know where my punches will do the most damage. Should I aim for the chin every time, or are their different targets for different punches. I googled it and looked on youtube, but all I found out was where to punch a shark. If you guys have good videos I would greatly appiciate it. Thank you.

2. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

First thing my boxing coach taught me....punch when you see an opening.
    Never hesitate.

If you see a shot to his chin, jab him.
    If you see a shot to his temple, throw a hook.
    If you see a shot to his stomach, throw an uppercut.
    If you see a shot to his liver, throw a body hook.

Point is....punch whatever is unprotected.

3. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

The ideal way to "aim a shot" is at where the opponent is going, not where they are at. Without getting into a really long post (which would be easy to write pages on this subject) here are some good general rules of thumb.

If Advancing on a retreating opponent try to be one step past where you think you should be..... in short, try to hit him at 30-50% of your full extension, which will likely put him right into ideal range if he is retreating and prevent you from reaching.

To jab the chin, aim at the base of the neck or the collarbone. If there chin is up and you swing at their neck or collarbone it is instinctive reaction to drop your chin to protect the neck, right into your shot. If there chin is tucked in, this is how you pop it up, hitting them in the nose or mouth might hurt but there still standing..... hit em in the chin to sit em down.

For long hooks, aim at the top of the shoulder of your opponent.... for short hooks or inside hooks aim at the bottom of the earlobe...

For UC to the head, aim at the middle of the chest, if they pull back it will put you right into their chin, if they dont the shot will slide or glance up into the chin.....

For Body shots, Aim above the belt! The body is much larger target and is much more stationary than the head..... in short, it is easier to hit something and a blocked shot is much less dangerous than completely missing a shot.... why the suggestion above are not to swing at the head, swing just beneath the head and you will find that you make contact with the head far more and complete misses are much less frequent.

4. Godhand13

Godhand13 White Belt

Tasmania, Australia. It's the little island at the
    nose, temple, solar plexus, kidneys. Did I leave anything out?

5. ssullivan80

Just the chin! not real important though:icon_conf

(p.s. that was a joke)

6. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

Go for whatever's available, I think when people get too hung up about pinpointing specific spots, they tend to miss out on other opportunities. Setting up shots and creating your own openings is IMO, more important and have a higher degree of success than sitting back and waiting for the perfect shot to present itself.

7. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

Thank you all who replied, there was some good info. But in those posts I realized this subject is a very complicated one. Do any of you gentlemen know of any good instructionals or reads on the subject? I'd like to go in depth into some of the philosophies of it. I always like to break down the very specifics of an art(which may be why I got so good at wrestling.)

8. ssullivan80

a couple of personal favorites.

"Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics, and Strategies from the Sweet Science"
    by Mark Hatmaker, Doug Werner

"Donovan's Science of Boxing", by Mike Donovan

"Cut Time, An Education at the Fights"
    by Carlo Rotella

"The Rise and Decline of the Sweet Science"
    By Robert Mladinich

9. Godhand13

Godhand13 White Belt

Tasmania, Australia. It's the little island at the
    Yeah, I realised just after I made that post that I'd left the chin out... :redface::redface:EMBARRASSING!!!

10. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    punch his knees, he'll never see it coming.

11. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

Should I supplement these punches to the knees with a spinning back fist to his shins? Or try to superman punch him in the testicles?

12. SpineBreaker

SpineBreaker Orange Belt

Maybe you should find a school that teaches you how to fight before you go and actually fight?

13. ECS123

ECS123 Purple Belt

^ :icon_lol:. This was my favorite part, and I like your candid honesty. There is an old saying concerning LVNR's, that says, where ever the head goes, the body must follow. So, if you consider the head as a single unit, just get the lower jaw to go in a different direction. Anywhere on the lower jaw line is good. The chin going in any direction, the sides of the jaw, and where the rear hinge meets the skull. When you make a single unit go in two different directions, it goes offline, and good things happen. The temples are also very good.

Secondary targets are cheekbones, and anything that will make blood cause a stoppage. Above the eyes, and the nose, or swell an eye shut. IMHO, since you have a wrestling background, you should focus a considerable portion of your training (at least for now) on striking, and finishing holds, ie., submissions. Good luck with your training.

:icon_chee

14. ktrp

ktrp Green Belt

Great post, got a lot from it. I also wanted to mention that I'd be quite happy to read pages on the subject, and I imagine I'm not the only one ;)

15. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

You definately are not good sir. I really enjoyed his first post and would like more. I will also be going to the library to pick up those books

16. TCF

TCF Banned Banned

you gotta learn from the best striker
    [​IMG]

17. aries

aries Silver Belt

Since you already have your answer from the rest of the thread I'm going to say that since you are just starting just hit them in the head and body with but avoid the top the head and forehead. If you can hit your sparring partners frequently and with good success then you can start to worry about refining your targeting.

18. aries

aries Silver Belt

Damn if only someone was actually good enough to take advantage of his mistakes! :eek:

19. Jukai

Jukai Silver Belt

I'm sure in the two years since the last reply, the kid has figured out where to aim his punches, aries.

20. thewhiteSRR

thewhiteSRR Brown Belt

that was him toying with leites who did absolutely nothing that fight.