Where to by mats and playing open guard is too much fun

TheKindSativah**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah 2 totally unrelated comments/questions in 1 thread...so take that.

I've been looking for some decent mats for my buddy and I to set up in the garage to drill moves/roll after class. We bought some cheap 1/2" work mats from lowes just to see how much sq"ft wed probably need. returning those cheap-o mats when we purchase better mats

Id like to get my hands on some legit foam 1"+ wrestling mats but cant find anyone selling used ones. Is there anywhere I should look specifically? Think there is any chance of local High schools selling old mats? Should I try calling local comps and see if theyd sell any mats after a tourny?

We also found these puzzle piece mats here Premium Reversible Martial Arts EVA Foam Tiles 24"x24"x3/4" | We Sell Mats.com

Called the woman and said shed give us 48 sq ft for $60, good deal? I feel that would be enough mat space for us. those mats look good enough for drilling at home?

and for the open guard...why is it so much fun to just roll around playing open guard and not letting anyone pass. im a small guy and quick, and do well on constantly getting my knees in the way of them passing. Sometimes i end up in a pattern of only blocking the pass with me legs cause its so damn fun.

and for the open guard...why is it so much fun to just roll around playing open guard and not letting anyone pass. im a small guy and quick, and do well on constantly getting my knees in the way of them passing. Sometimes i end up in a pattern of only blocking the pass with me legs cause its so damn fun.
don't know much about mats but yeah, that is indeed really fun.

except when i try it on my instructor and/or the better bigger dudes in my gym. because they smash my legs and pass my guard. then it's just no fun at all.

hah yeah well i dont have much of a chance against my instructor no matter what im trying to do.

Im only 150 but I roll a lot with a 250 lb dude and he never can get past. since were on the topic is it a good idea to get a lot of roll time with huge dudes like this guy? I feel it makes me feel much more in control against the smaller guys. Would rolling with big dudes a lot make me develop bad habits or is it all good in the hood.

I do get roll time with guys my size but theres only a few dudes my size in the gym and 1 of them crushes me every time and the other 2 are cake for me.

hah yeah well i dont have much of a chance against my instructor no matter what im trying to do.

Im only 150 but I roll a lot with a 250 lb dude and he never can get past. since were on the topic is it a good idea to get a lot of roll time with huge dudes like this guy? I feel it makes me feel much more in control against the smaller guys. Would rolling with big dudes a lot make me develop bad habits or is it all good in the hood.

I do get roll time with guys my size but theres only a few dudes my size in the gym and 1 of them crushes me every time and the other 2 are cake for me.

i'm 140ish, rarely anyone in my gym is under 180. quite a few over 200.

rolling with big chaps will toughen you up, for sure. when someone my size gets sidecontrol on me i feel like i could just get up and walk out. one thing to pay attention to though is the speed. big, strong fellas aren't nearly as fast and explosive as the lighter guys so when i roll with the smaller ones i usually feel really strong, but also slow. and of course there's this one freakish 160 dude thats faster and like 5 times stronger than me. thank god he's still a noob.

i think you should just roll with as many different sizes as you can.

yeah thats pretty much what I figured. I agree totally about how being under side mount from guys my size now feels like laying under a nice down comforter

Onto the mats question:

Ebay man. You can find some refurbed mats or some discounted ones there.

Back