Where to add Rack-Pulls on Texas

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Dr Boondigga, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Dr Boondigga

Dr Boondigga Yellow Belt

This is the Texas template I'm following:

Monday [High Volume/Moderate Intensity]
    Squat 5X5
    Bench Press 5X5
    (Yet to add in power-cleans or other exercise)

Wednesday [Low Volume/Low Intensity]
    Front Squat 3X3
    Press 3X3
    Chin ups 3x12

Friday [Low Volume/High Intensity]
    Squat 1X5
    Bench Press 1X5
    Deadlift 1X5

Any idea of where I should put rack pulls? Also what rep/set scheme should I use? I was thinking 3 sets of 8?

Thanks for any help.

2. PCP

PCP Guest

if you want to do rack pulls you need something that is less cookie cutter. that routine (what you posted was not a template, but a routine) wasn't designed for someone to use special exercises like rack pulls to bring up the deadlift. personally i do not go any lighter than a 1RM when I rack pull

3. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Why do you think you need to add rack pulls? If you are doing the Texas Method you are probably still an advanced novice or intermediate lifter so you should just do the program as it is laid out.

4. Dr Boondigga

Dr Boondigga Yellow Belt

I'm starting to have problems locking-out the deadlift. This probably has something to do with technique, so I'll get a tape on that soon, but thought rack-pulls would be a good/fun way of correcting this. Also would like the extra grip work.

@PCP, Basing that solely of what Jim Wendler talks about in this article:

T NATION | Blood & Chalk Vol. 7: Jim Wendler Talks Big Weights

5. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

This.

While I wouldn't say rack pulls aren't a good exercise, I think that (1) you want to first make sure that any difficulty at the lock out isn't due to a technical issue, and (2) consider if rack pulls are the best choice for improving your lockout, since they are a very fatiguing exercise and there could be a better way to target a particular weakness.

6. Dr Boondigga

Dr Boondigga Yellow Belt

So focus on technique first? When I say I have trouble, I mean its difficult, not that I can't lock-out my deads. ATM I'm stuck with 160kg weights, so I've just been working up reps with that (up to 8 singles), until I can afford new weights. I never had any problem with deads before this weight, and when I first started struggling to lock-out I thought some assistance might be needed.

Could I just add in rack-pulls for fun or are they too taxing for texas?

7. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

For any lift, any weakpoint, you want to make sure it's not a technique issue first. It's far quicker to add weight to the bar by improving technique than trying to overcome a technical issue with assistance work. Also, other assistance exercises (that target the weak link more specifically, and aren't as taxing) could be suggested based on a video.

If your want to include an exercise for fun, go ahead. But if it's something taxing like rack pulls, don't do it every week. Maybe once a month on volume day (for volume), OR work up to a near rep max on your intensity day.

8. Dr Boondigga

Dr Boondigga Yellow Belt

Ok thanks for the advice. Will have to buy a camera one day.