Where does Zlatan Ibrahimovic rank amongst this generation?

Finding Deebo

Swimming in Heaven, lookin' for Craig!!
Banned
Reaction score
I follow soccer (football) a bit and somehow always sort of followed him as a player. How do you think he ranks?

If you had put this in the sports forum you might have gotten the soccer fanatics from the premier league thread to give you more informed answers.

I'm no expert, but from what I've seen he's a tremendously talented player and one of the best strikers of his generation, but definitely not on the same level as Messi and C. Ronaldo. He's old enough that you could also get by with putting him in the same generation as Brazilian Ronaldo and Ronaldinho if you wanted to. Either way, my assessment would be that he is an elite striker, but not quite in the absolute top tier of players who could be considered the best among their contemporaries.

The guy's longevity is amazing.
After he tore up hie knee when he played for United, and went to play in the MLS, i thought he was done, but he is now one of the top scorers in Serie A, at the age of 39 ,proving his doubters wrong.

The guy is a goal machine everywhere he goes, he can do it in every league.

For me he's the clear #3, behind Ronaldo and Messi.

Shame he never won the Champions League.

i think that his height helps him a lot

but ofc he cant dribble like messi or kick like ronaldo

pretty impressive that he plays in his age, by the age of 34-35 most football(soccer) players don't have knees

Last edited:
Reactions: Zer
The guy's longevity is amazing.
After he tore up hie knee when he played for United, and went to play in the MLS, i thought he was done, but he is now one of the top scorers in Serie A, at the age of 39 ,proving his doubters wrong.

The guy is a goal machine everywhere he goes, he can do it in every league.

For me he's the clear #3, behind Ronaldo and Messi.

Shame he never won the Champions League.
I agree that he is absolutely a top class forward, but clear #3 is a stretch imo. There is some stiff competition no matter who you determine to be his contemporaries (which is kinda tough to decide considering his impressive longevity that you mentioned).

In the 2000s you've got Zidane, Ronaldo Nazario, Ronaldinho. In the 2010s you've got Iniesta, Xavi, Lewandowski. Of course both decades have Messi and C. Ronaldo. I'm not saying Zlatan isn't in the same league as these other guys, but to say that he is a definitive #3 is too much imo.

I agree that he is absolutely a top class forward, but clear #3 is a stretch imo. There is some stiff competition no matter who you determine to be his contemporaries (which is kinda tough to decide considering his impressive longevity that you mentioned).

In the 2000s you've got Zidane, Ronaldo Nazario, Ronaldinho. In the 2010s you've got Iniesta, Xavi, Lewandowski. Of course both decades have Messi and C. Ronaldo. I'm not saying Zlatan isn't in the same league as these other guys, but to say that he is a definitive #3 is too much imo.
suarez is clear number 3 and he will be no 1
edit : neymar

Last edited:
For players born after 1980, he's number 3 among attacking players behind Messi and Ronaldo. But he's number one for kicking teammates

Also as mentioned his longevity is incredible, and he's an impact maker even today at AC Milan. He also probably has the best highlight of acrobatic goals, which is crazy considering he's 6'4''.

Plus he's probably the most entertaining soccer player, if not all athletes. This guy's cockiness is so absurd it's hilarious. Before he joined LA Galaxy, he took out a full page ad in the LA Times, and all it said was: Dear Los Angeles, you are welcome, Zlatan. Here's his first interview on Jimmy Kimmel. It's funny, and the comments are comedy gold

Last edited:
suarez is clear number 3 and he will be no 1
Bold claim

#3 of this past generation for me is still Iniesta. There are a handful of guys that could have that spot. Suarez is one. Claiming that he's going to get to #1 seems a bit silly.

For me, his consistently good performances throughout the years are what seperates him from the pack.

From 2006 to 2020 Zlatan has been one of the best strikers un Europe. No One has had such longevity, no matter what position,except GK (Shoutout to Buffon and Casillas), aside from Messi or Ronaldo.

Fat Ronaldo had a short prime, Ronaldinho had a short prime, and Xavi and Iniesta played in Qatar and Middle East in their mid-30's.

Which player (except GK's) has been Elite in Top 5 leagues for 15 years? Messi, Ronaldo, Zlatan. That's it.

Zlatan is the best 40 year old in the history of the game.

For me, his consistently good performances throughout the years are what seperates him from the pack.

From 2006 to 2020 Zlatan has been one of the best strikers un Europe. No One has had such longevity, no matter what position,except GK (Shoutout to Buffon and Casillas), aside from Messi or Ronaldo.

Fat Ronaldo had a short prime, Ronaldinho had a short prime, and Xavi and Iniesta played in Qatar and Middle East in their mid-30's.

Which player (except GK's) has been Elite in Top 5 leagues for 15 years? Messi, Ronaldo, Zlatan. That's it.

Zlatan is the best 40 year old in the history of the game.
This absolutely supports your point because he's an ATG, but the only other player I can think of who was elite for 15 years was Zidane. Sergio Ramos might be on his way to it. Lewandowski and Suarez have both been top class for over 10 years.

I've got no problem with saying that Zlatan could be #3 in his generation and his longevity is a great reason for it. I'm just not convinced that it's a "clear" choice.

Edit: also, Xavi was elite in La Liga for like 13 years so he shouldn't be so casually discounted. His peak was higher than Zlatan's. That could certainly negate the fact that it was a few years shorter.

Last edited:
Bold claim

#3 of this past generation for me is still Iniesta. There are a handful of guys that could have that spot. Suarez is one. Claiming that he's going to get to #1 seems a bit silly.
correction, i meant neymar !, sorry for that
idk why i said suarez

i stopped watching soccer in the last years, ufc is the only sport i watch today

This absolutely supports your point because he's an ATG, but the only other player I can think of who was elite for 15 years was Zidane. Sergio Ramos might be on his way to it. Lewandowski and Suarez have both been top class for over 10 years.

I've got no problem with saying that Zlatan could be #3 in his generation and his longevity is a great reason for it. I'm just not convinced that it's a "clear" choice.

They will all be bums, once they hit 40.
No way Suarez scores 12 goals in 8 League games in a top 5 league by that age.

I'll beat this dead horse in to the ground.

Sergio Ramos is a solid shout though, has been a RM defensive anchor for at least a decade, and certainly has more accolades than Zlatan.

I do feel that Zidane retired too early, he could have done much more. I only saw him Play in the 2006 World Cup( That was the first tournament I closely followed) and he was great.

IMO, he had the greatest final career game un Football history. Scored a penaltyin the WC final, to take the lead, headbutted Materazzi, got sent off, and stared down the trophy, when he walked off the pitch. And then, in penalty shootout Trezeguet hits the crossbar and France lose.

Such great game. An emotional rollercoaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
correction, i meant neymar !, sorry for that
idk why i said suarez

i stopped watching soccer in the last years, ufc is the only sport i watch today
Oh, yeah, I don't think that's gonna happen. Neymar isn't a young prospect anymore. He should be at his absolute peak right now and he isn't #1 in the world on most people's lists this year.

They will all be bums, once they hit 40.
No way Suarez scores 12 goals in 8 League games in a top 5 league by that age.

I'll beat this dead horse in to the ground.

Sergio Ramos is a solid shout though, has been a RM defensive anchor for at least a decade, and certainly has more accolades than Zlatan.

I do feel that Zidane retired too early, he could have done much more. I only saw him Play in the 2006 World Cup( That was the first tournament I closely followed) and he was great.
I don't think Lewandowski will ever be a bum. He'll retire before that happens.

He's a famously hard worker. He's strong. His style will age well. If I had to predict a current top player to still be a beast at 40, he would be my pick.

Xavi is in my all time team. The guy was what made arguably the best club and international teams of all time click.

I don't think Lewandowski will ever be a bum. He'll retire before that happens.

He's a famously hard worker. He's strong. His style will age well. If I had to predict a current top player to still be a beast at 40, he would be my pick.

I like him as well, based on current ability, IMO he's the best striker in the world, but I hope that Lewa has the guts to try and play in another league, to prove that he is truly an All Time Great, and not a product of a system created by great coaching.

That's a pet peeve of mine. I have higher opinion on players that excel in several
top leagues. That's why I prefer Ronaldo over Messi.

I like him as well, based on current ability, IMO he's the best striker in the world, but I hope that Lewa has the guts to try and play in another league, to prove that he is truly an All Time Great, and not a product of a system created by great coaching.

That's a pet peeve of mine. I have higher opinion on players that excel in several
top leagues. That:s why I prefer Ronaldo over Messi.

It's not easy for him to leave Bayern unfortunately, they're known for being tough when it comes to keeping hold of people they want to keep, he'd have to run down his contract.

top leagues. That:s why I prefer Ronaldo over Messi.
A lot of people value team loyalty.

Back