Where Does the Republican Party Go From Here?

Now that Trump is no longer an issue ( well, sort of ) - I can finally achieve my final form of becoming a moderate.

My take is this, Republican's are between a rock and a hard place because in order to succeed, they probably need to do some level of pandering to Trump's coalition. In fact, they may need to do a lot more than pander because Trump's coalition was so broad. Trump really fired up rural support and in this election brought up like 10 million extra hillbillies from the dead to vote for the first time in 20 years.

On the other hand, Biden stripped off the independents from Trump while also picking up suburban Republicans.

They are kind of a a damed if you do damned if you don't scenario.

My thought would be that they need to use the next four years to purge Trumpians like Graham, Jordan, McConnell, Collins, etc., while allowing more space for people like Romeny and Kasich.

The downside of this is that Kashich and Romeny are already spoiled as "losers". The point though is to let Romeny and Kasich open the door for a new breed of conservative candidate.
They will find somebody that can decent play the hillbilies song, but have actual brain and can use it when required

Don't ask me names as i'm not american and i don't know local scene

I think they have good chance in 2024, but they will lose the longer game

they will probably distance with Trump, groom a young potential candidate for 2024....I mean if you look at the line up the democrats have....2024 is easily achievable....ibjuts hope they can do something positive with a senate majority for a change....

GOP is still strong. They picked up seats in the house and kept the senate. Supreme court is 6/3 conservative too. The left will lose more house seats in the next mid term too.

There will be a lot of disappointed young progressives in 4 years when the left has delivered nothing they claimed they would.

Where do you see a senate majority here?

https://www.270towin.com/2020-election-results-live/senate/

they will probably distance with Trump

Not a chance, given the turnout. If he got blown out, definitely. That didn't happen though. Even if it's not Trump himself, the brand will be front and center for one of his kids. The Republican party is dead. The Trumpublican Party is very much alive.

For now, anyways. All depends on what kind of job Biden does. If he makes gains from all Americans like he's promising to do, that might be the end. If not, the Trump brand will flourish.

Whether they should be purged or not is up for debate but I wouldn’t label these folks necessarily Trumpian as they had political careers before Trump. Purging some of the head positions in the Senate because they accepted Trump after he was elected is a bit silly. Some of what they did might hurt them in the future but I don’t see that getting most of them canned anytime soon.
They played Trump's game cause it made their lives easier... I think you see a different environment with Trump gone.

Didn't trump get the most votes ever by a republican. Take away the 24-7, 365 brainwashing campaign and he wins. He got 43% of ny for fuck sake. Very impressive latino numbers too.

trump lost. im sorry you are still in the denial stage

I didn't make a prediction on the election. I said it would be close and I wasn't sure who would win and can't really see what your response has to do with the post you quoted.

200w.gif

It's difficult to predict. We don't know how the economy will perform or what other issues will arise in the next four years.
The Republicans do have a strong roster of rising stars

Democrats have been very successful in their strategy of consolidating themselves in public opinion as the party of women, LGBT folks and racial minorities, which together make up around 80% of the population. They’ve been just as successful in stigmatizing the Republicans as the party of white, rural, racist, evil, xenophobic, misogynistic and uneducated men.

Given the current social, cultural and demographic trends, the Republican Party will always be one presidency term away from its last one. Trump’s just might have been it. I can see America becoming a de facto single party state this century.

The Trump enablers shouldn't be rewarded, don't you think?

He was elected for a four year term. Pretending those in the party he won with wouldn’t work with him is stretch. I know with the turnover, we’ve now going to see this expanded attack by association which I think makes sense at a voter level or even the opposition party using it against those people but it isn’t a practical way to run in the GOPs position. Trump lost his race. Graham and Collins easily won theirs so the idea that the party should somehow go out of the way to oust them doesnt make sense.

I do agree though that the GOP for the past two years has been hedging internally on whether Trump would win or lose for his second term. There’s definitely some people on the losing side of that, especially if they have 2024 ambitions.

They played Trump's game cause it made their lives easier... I think you see a different environment with Trump gone.

That’s somewhat what I’m saying. You play the hand you are dealt or with those who also were elected alongside you, especially those within your party. I don’t think for a minute Graham or Collins are devastated Trump is gone. Their careers are a longer trajectory in the senate and you can’t just stand by for four years in some type of protest, especially if it’s just on character disputes rather than policy.

I don't understand the impulse to keep bringing up how many votes Trump got. Biden got more. No one gives a shit that he energizes his base if he energizes way more people to vote him out. The strategy didn't work, he lost the popular vote twice and the first time was against one of the most hated candidates in history. This idea that Trump is somehow going to be the way forward is delusion.

Down the drain, where they belong

I think this is how it will go. In much of he U.S., it is apparent that being being a racist, lying, troll is a viable and easy platform. People will do it because it is an easy win. Like flopping in the NBA, everyone will say that they hate it unless it gets them a win. The party will shrink with changing demographics and an unwillingness to call out their own party members on bad behavior. It shows how effective it is when a no experience politician schools their entire party with bad behavior and they let him do it. At any point, they could have stopped him and prevented him from running in their primaries. I know it is going this way because it Texas there are more clowns then there were 10 years ago. Old republicans are Cornyn ,who is as bit of a hack but tries to keep things rolling. And on the other side you have politicians like Crenshaw, who is way to smart and educated for the stupid shit that comes out of his mouth.

Last edited:
Back