Where does the Bellator FW go from here?

careto

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
AJ is the new champ and face of the promotion and Pitbull is no longer champ after several years of reigning. So, the question is what will happen to the FW division next? Does AJ stay at FW and defend or does he move up to LW?

Burnell has established himself in the conversation for a titleshot but Borics vs Jay Jay is next as a title eliminator.

Whats next for Pitbull? Rematch at LW, quick turn around, or take a break for a few months and come back early 2022?

IMO, AJ should defend at least twice before going up to LW. At the same time, neither Borics nor Jay Jay would make for a big fight for AJ. Jay Jay is very entertaining but too green and Borics has zero personality and not very entertaining. Bellator can capitalize on AJ and get him on a CBS card but neither of those guys would pull big numbers.

AJ can also pursue LW and said he wanted to go to LW immediately but there arent any big fights for him there either. A rematch with Pitbull would be a good fight to make and AJ as champ-champ woild solidify him as a star.

Depends if AJ can make weight anymore, it sounds like he's not convinced he can. I'd personally have liked the Sanchez fight to see how he handled an in your face type of pressure fighter like that but I guess the judges sided with Mads even if I disagree with them and I don't really see Mads carrying any kind of threat to AJ.

Pitbull should take a break and come back early 2022. On the other hand, Burnell shouldnt wait around too long, Burnell vs Weichel would be good; Winner fights Pitbull.

As for the rest of the division, Pico, Gonzales, Diggs, and Rabadanov should make their runs soon enough.

None of those guys really get me excited about fighting AJ really, apart from maybe a more developed Pico.

I honestly think giving Patricio a rematch might be the way to go while things sort themselves out.

These are the most interesting:

At FW: Borics, Jay Jay, Burnell, Pico, J-Train
At LW: Patricio, Shabliy, Usman

He can also box Floyd or Jake/Logan on Showtime.

There were rumors about a LW GP, so maybe he will try to get one more million

ajmckeechamp.gif

I guess aj wants the Connor route .. a total cop out on title defenses

None of those guys really get me excited about fighting AJ really, apart from maybe a more developed Pico.

I honestly think giving Patricio a rematch might be the way to go while things sort themselves out.
AJ is the guy to take them to CBS, IMO but those fights wont get the same buzz as this one. A LW rematch in Brazil wont do as much numbers given that this fight wasnt very competitive. A LWGP with AJ and Usman might do good numbers, too.

Unfortunately, the bigger fights for AJ arent in Bellator. Max and Ortega are the biggest fights for him but they wont happen.

AJ should make a couple of title defenses until his bud Pico can climb up the ladder. Then go for Champ Champ status then vacate

Back