Where does DC go from here?

Where does Daniel Cormier go from here? There's only one answer.

popeyes-chicken.jpg

I was going to say that, you bastard.

go back to HW? fun fact: DC has never faced ANY of the top contenders in the LHW division, i don't know why wins against old man Hendo and a relative nobody in Patrick Cummins elevated him so high up...he still has potential threats in Gus,Rumble,Rashad and to an extent Phil

go back to HW? fun fact: DC has never faced ANY of the top contenders in the LHW division, i don't know why wins against old man Hendo and a relative nobody in Patrick Cummins elevated him so high up...he still has potential threats in Gus,Rumble,Rashad and to an extent Phil

From the moment the fight was signed, I was kind of thinking that DC being so new to MMA...relatively speaking, at least....that him getting that fight so soon was killing a future contender.

In a year and a bit at that weight class I think the outcome could have been different, or at least the fight itself.

back to heavyweight..... lost too much power in his punches going to LHW, wasnt that hard of a hitter to start with.

This^. Particularly if Cain takes off a few more years.

He cracked Jones flush several times. Definitely hurt him, but I don't think he was ever in trouble. 18 months older, three fights later, JBJ embarrasses him.

He can go join up with Chuck after the show.
sweepdance_4652093_GIFSoupcom.gif

Back to gorging Popeye's and crushing cans I'd say

Just like his Russian counterpart

Fight the loser of Gus/Rumble and then go from there. If he loses that match as well, he should consider going back to heavyweight. Especially if Cain loses or gets injured again.

Learn from the fight, keep training and improve his gas tank. If he can win a couple big fights, which is highly likely, then give him a rematch.

Have him fight Phil Davis so that Phil can then expose another guy who didnt earn a title shot

wouldnt the first thing on the list be that knee surgery he postponed for the jones fight? that will sit him out for a good 6 months

wouldnt the first thing on the list be that knee surgery he postponed for the jones fight? that will sit him out for a good 6 months

Hmmm you're right. I'm sure by about that time all the red tape will be cleared surrounding Rampage's signing and contract dispute over at Bellator. Rampage/Cormier would be a pretty entertaining bout to promote. I could see there being some good back and forth between them.

Cormier isn't gonna sniff the title for awhile so he might as well have a fight or two before facing the loser of Rumble/Gus.

He'll be back. He will realize what he needs to do to improve his footwork, movement, and striking as well as converting his wrestling to mma wrestling - handfighting, effective clinch positioning. He is quick student and is still improving and over 2-3 fights will continue to work on those things and will look that much better in the next matchup.

Getting humbled will be better for his psyche next time - without the pressure of the do-or-die mentality he will not break the second it gets tough. He will also get better body composition and cardio-wise at 205.

That, or the fight broke him and he goes on a two fight losing streak and retires.

Despite his loss, I thought he put on a stellar performance against arguably the best fighter in the organization.

I think DC probably beats everyone at LHW not names Jones, but that leaves him stuck at #2.

Shouldn't he return to HW? Maybe take a run at the belt since his compadre is essentially inactive?
DC's in great shape, but no spring chicken in regards to how much longer he can fight at this level.

I wonder if he they would let him go up and fight Werdum for the temporary belt and then drop back down even if he wins?

I don't know if he broke more than he just gassed, albeit a large part of that Cormier admitted was due to Jones's brilliant body strikes.

Cormier is an emotional guy, it didn't look like he broke. I say that because his gameplan stayed consistent throughout, he just lost the energy to complete it.

Then again, we don't know what's going on in Cormier's head so it's all speculation until he comes out and admits whether he broke or not. As an MMA fan, I hope he just uses the loss to fuel him further so I can watch more exciting fights.

I can see that.. but the absolute certainty with which he was predicting a win... the extremely confident persona ... that's gone. Can you imagine facing JBJ anywhere now as DC? Any event, anywhere in Vegas . . . media obligations ... Imagine them on the same casrd. Jones is not the humble 24 year old anymore.. He's a bully...when it comes to DC, he will poke him through the cage again and again ... until they meet again ..

And if I know this... then so does DC.

It's not like he had an Alistair Overeem moment and lost to someone he was easily beating. (ala Bigfoot and Browne).

He came in talking smack ... and had to eat those words. If he wasn't broken in the fight ... he is today .. I'd put money on it

Back