Where does Conor rank on all time goat lists?

Im not a conor nut gargler but I do feel that he’s oddly been underrated on this site. His lack of title defenses is made up by his stellar resume at FW.

Conor is my favorite fighter ( check my post history) but he isn't even top 10 of the last decade. Stipe,Cain,D.C,Bones, Silva, Weidman, GSP, Woodley, Aldo, Max Holloway and DJ. If we're talking all time we have to add Fedor, Hendo,Shogun, BJ,etc. Then we got guys who are still fighting Khabib, Tony, Usman, Isreal, etc.

He just wrecked Cowboy and if he beats Diego Sanchez next I would have him at number 1.
He would get disqualified in a fight with Diego for looking at Diego in a frightening manner.

Keep flipped the pages he might somehow be on one

Below Rich Franklin, BJ Penn, Hughes, Hendo, Aldo, Khabib, MM, Chuck, Sylvia, Couture, Wanderlei, Cejudo, and pretty much every other guy who's defended a title.

Not really seeing why he is below Cejudo.

A win over Diego Sanchez would solidify his place atop the GOAT list, for sure.

I mean, he just absolutely wrecked Cowboy, who holds multiple records and Diego is a killer, every hardcore fan knows that.

The whole, “he hasn’t defended his belts” argument is complete bullshit. Double champ! Also, he’s FUCKING SO RICH!

Like I said, he is about #2 right now behind Jones. A win over Diego solidifies his place at #1.
<28>

....because he has held belts in different weight classes in the UFC that puts him on very short list with BJ, Randy , Amanda and maybe 1 or two others he is absolutely top 10. He has also fought some of the other people on that list like Max,Jose and Khabib and almost always wins.

Bunch of people who let their hate for McGregor delude them in this thread.

He's arguably top 10 all-time easily. He's very easily top 20 already.

He is a simultaneous two-division champion in the most modern era of MMA, in the UFC. He flat-lined the FW GOAT in 10 seconds basically (lucky yet dominant), he beat the LW champion Alvarez in utterly dominant fashion, he has wins of Holloway, Porier, and Mendes on his resume'. He technically has wins at FW, LW, and WW across 3 divisions.

His legacy is currently better than Khabib's imo, it's very close arguably, and many are prematurely putting Khabib up there in the top 5-7 range all-time right now. McGregor has a better resume'. He does.

I think there's an argument he is top 10 all-time but that's only if we heavily factor in new era / modern era fighting and diminsh older eras aka guys such as Penn, Hughes, Couture, Shogun, etc.

The biggest knocks are: Lack of title defenes, but this is unique and we have to consider that he fought Floyd Mayweather in boxing and then went to LW with a stint at WW in between. And the biggest black mark = the curated path avoiding wrestlers outside of Mendes, which is a legit test elite wrestler who he beat, he avoided or was protected from wrestlers arguably. But he did fight Mendes and Alvarez, then Khabib.

TLDR: Be objective and let go of your opinion of the person. McGregor's FW run is better than Holloway's, he dethroned the GOAT and was unscathed. He then won the LW belt and held two belts, while going to WW and spltting 1-1 with a ~170lb-er in Nate Diaz. Mayweather fight adds something to his UFC legacy too it does, if Fedor had done that everyone would be grabbing vats of vasoline and crates of tissues.

Conor places more importance in self-marketing and promotions than just being a fighter with the best records. He takes a lot more career risks than GSP or Mighty Mouse. Comparing him to those fighters is apples and oranges. But Conor is #1 in terms of the drawing power in the UFC.

he’s the first UFC double champion and took out Aldo, Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier. Yes he lacks title defenses (which is an issue) but he makes up for it with his run at FW and his overall resume.
exactly.

his resume is purely for flash value. he doesn't have the volume of fights to even get into the top-10.

Other than the top 4 which is in no order (Jon Jones, Silva, Fedor and GSP.) the MMA GOAT lists are kinda unclear. You have Khabib and Mighty Mouse up there but you don’t have much depth.

Is Conor a top 10 fighter of all time?

He is tied with Aldo for the no.1 FW of all time.

Aldo has the longetivity but Conor has the amazing win over Aldo.

So it's a tie.

He can become the best LW ever but he has to beat like 5 dudes and his career won't last that long. I think he retires in like 2-3 fights tops.

If he beats Khabib twice, Ferguson, Masvidal at LW, and some up and coming dude that'll be the shit in like a year or two he has a case for being the LW GOAT.

Slim chances tho... real slim.

I would probably put him somewhere between 11-20 right now. He won 2 belts, which is incredibly impressive no matter how you paint it.

It's one of those things where it sounds better than it actually is.

He defeated Eddie Alvarez for one of his belts. At the time, there were easily 5+ fighters at LW who could have defeated Eddie.

His sample size versus true top competition is very small.

I don’t agree with that

He took his belts and ran. And used it as a selling point to make a hundred million while shitting on everyone in the company. And he never defended.

How's this for a stat? Out 12 fights in the UFC, Conor went against 3 wrestlers. Mendes had 10 days notice, Alvarez had a shit gameplan, and Khabib crushed him.

Is this the same type of gauntlet that GSP or Silva had during their reigns? Conor's a fraud. And good luck trying to win anything at WW with Woodley, Colby, Usman, and Masvidal around.

A champ champ consistently wins against the best for years. This clown did good in a few favorable conditions and hid when it was his time to prove himself. Complete puss and a coward.

He's possibly in the top 30ish. It gets hard to differentiate after the top 5-10 or so, as there are only about six guys (Jones, Silva, Fedor, GSP, MM, Aldo, no order) who have had careers that eclipse every other fighter in the game. Outside of those men, you have guys like DC, Hendo, Hughes, Penn, Gomi, Big Nog, etc who are a solid tier 2.

No. Zero title defences doesn't warrant GOAT list inclusion. Just a few names ahead of him...

Hughes, Franklin, Hendo, Liddell, Couture, Penn, Wanderlei, Aldo, Mighty Mouse

Back