Where does Conor rank in most influential fighters of all time?

FITZSIC

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
For me, it's a toss up between him and maybe Royce, but I lean to Conor

Royce has had a very long ranging effect indeed. Right now, we can see that McGregor has influenced fighters to demand more and to try and push for money fights in the relative short run. He's one of the best striker sin MMA right now, but he hasn't changed the way anyone is training or anything like that, which Royce certainly did.

Royce's skillset of BJJ or at least the ability to defend against that skillset is bread and butter for almost every MMA fighter. McGregor is a shooting star and won't have much long term influence imo.

Pretty high

He's been able to influence Dana into giving him favorable match-ups and a LW title fight with no qualifying.

For me, it's a toss up between him and maybe Royce, but I lean to Conor
So a guy/family that basically created the UFC isnt the most influential person of all time..
slow_clap.jpg

Influential in MMA? Royce

Influential in mainstream today? Conor

Also there would be no Conor without Royce so Conor is a product of Royce's influence.

So a guy/family that basically created the UFC isnt the most influential person of all time..
slow_clap.jpg
Maybe for the more experienced fan, but in terms of reaching the casual fan base, I pick Conor

In mma, top 3 at least I'd say. Royce changed the way of mma fighting for a bigger part but don't forget that Conor has done it in an era where mma is a lot more advanced than those days. To have an influence today you have to be a serious elite mma fighter now, the level is much higher now.

If Conor can convince one of his belts to defend themselves, maybe then I will think he has influence.

His influence on people to make dumb ass threads is astounding.

In the business side of things...you have to give the guy credit for making Dana his bitch and calling his own shots after the UFC spent a LOT of money making him famous...but as a fighter, ZERO title defenses is pathetic.

Back