Where does Conor fit if we are talking top tier mma fighters?

Epo is not a steroid

If you google EPO this is the first sentence.

Erythropoietin—more commonly known as EPO—is a type of blood doping that can help improve an athlete's endurance.26 Feb 2018

So in what way is that not a performing enhancing drug?

If you google EPO this is the first sentence.

Erythropoietin—more commonly known as EPO—is a type of blood doping that can help improve an athlete's endurance.26 Feb 2018

So in what way is that not a performing enhancing drug?
It's a ped not a steroid
Steroids=/= ped

It's a ped not a steroid
Steroids=/= ped

Potata potato, he still cheated and got KO'd for it, you can discredit Cejudo all you want with the DJ robbery as yeah its debatable, the TJ loss you can't make excuses for, even less so because he was juicing.

This is the same flyweight TJ people thought DJ was ducking aswell just a few months before.

He doesn't.

He punches hard against smaller men. Full stop.

Conor would probably rank for me somewhere around the 15th-20th best MMA fighter of all time.

Captured belts in 2 weight divisions, and had an incredible run. But the big knock is that he never defended either title.

Tier 1 - GSP, Fedor, Jones, Silva, Mighty Mouse, Khabib
Tier 2 - DC, Hughes, Aldo, Big Nog, Cejudo
Tier 3 - Couture, Penn, Cruz, Lawler, Hendo
Tier 4 - This is where Conor might fall in

Conor goes next to BJ Penn wherever he went. Clearly you can't rank someone who never defended either title. Props to him and his rise he was almost unbeatable. But after he cashed his big check, he was never the same active fighter. Honestly he would have to get the LW title again, defend like 5 times to be in this conversation. If he was able to get the WW title, though he might have a shortcut to GOAT status, but it has to be against a legit champ like Usman.

I consider him, roughly, in a group with people like Rampage, Matt Hughes, Aldo, Holloway, Cain, BJ Penn etc.

Extraordinarily good, but not unbeatable. Connor would rate higher if he defended belts. To me winning a belt means less than defending, but more important than either are who you beat/lost to. Connor gets style points for decisive KO wins too.

Cleaning out divisions for years on end is highly impressive. Hence Kabib, GSP, Jones, Fedor, Silva, Adesanya if he keeps it up, are highly impressive to me. They also fought tough opponents (mostly).

I've never tried to come up with a tier list, but using yours Cejudo belongs in tier 1 and Conor would be tier 2 imo.

Edit: Cruz and Holloway are tier 3 with Ferguson? Is this a troll thread?

Conor goes next to BJ Penn wherever he went. Clearly you can't rank someone who never defended either title. Props to him and his rise he was almost unbeatable. But after he cashed his big check, he was never the same active fighter. Honestly he would have to get the LW title again, defend like 5 times to be in this conversation. If he was able to get the WW title, though he might have a shortcut to GOAT status, but it has to be against a legit champ like Usman.

Even BJ had multiple defences though. I'd have him above Conor still personally.

He never has had to fight the next contender.
He gets another belt and does that a couple of times, paired with his come up and starching of Aldo, I put him in tier two.

If you look at the history of the lightweight div., you have a number of guys who beat comparable dudes and defended a couple of times. Money and PPV don't factor in here. In terms of history at lightweight, shit, Bendo has more of a stake at that weight than Connor. Not to mention Frankie or BJ. He's not even top three lightweight when you actually consider the history of the division.

I think his true legacy is in featherweight, where he beat Mendes, Aldo, Dustin, and Holloway. Granted, 2 week Mendes, and young ass Dustin and Max, but he beat them, and you cannot discount Aldo. I'd put him #3 at FW for lack of title defenses. But he really handled that division on the way up.

He never has had to fight the next contender.
He gets another belt and does that a couple of times, paired with his come up and starching of Aldo, I put him in tier two.

If you look at the history of the lightweight div., you have a number of guys who beat comparable dudes and defended a couple of times. Money and PPV don't factor in here. In terms of history at lightweight, shit, Bendo has more of a stake at that weight than Connor. Not to mention Frankie or BJ. He's not even top three lightweight when you actually consider the history of the division.

I think his true legacy is in featherweight, where he beat Mendes, Aldo, Dustin, and Holloway. Granted, 2 week Mendes, and young ass Dustin and Max, but he beat them, and you cannot discount Aldo. I'd put him #3 at FW for lack of title defenses. But he really handled that division on the way up.

Agree with all that but even now, Volkanovski isn't far off Conor's FW achievements. Obviously he's not going to top Aldo in 13 seconds but he's beat all the guys Conor beat there, Mendes, Aldo, Max x2, 1 or 2 more wins and he's surpassed him IMO.

It's a shame Conor struggled so much with the FW weight cut as he definitely could have racked up multiple defences there if he stayed there.

Agree with all that but even now, Volkanovski isn't far off Conor's FW achievements. Obviously he's not going to top Aldo in 13 seconds but he's beat all the guys Conor beat there, Mendes, Aldo, Max x2, 1 or 2 more wins and he's surpassed him IMO.

It's a shame Conor struggled so much with the FW weight cut as he definitely could have racked up multiple defences there if he stayed there.

I didn't even consider Volk, to be honest. Yeah, I think beating the version of Max that Volk beat, along with his other wins puts him ahead of Conor when it comes to an historical FW ranking. Probably even steven if Volk didn't double up on prime Max.

I see Connor as a Tyson figure. He's a media star who can fight, and whose historical standing in his sport can be overinflated because of his "highlight" moments and popularity. But when you consider the workrates and records of other guys who don't get the same shine, he's a paper tiger.

In terms of success if your judge it by the same thing most fighters do, he's #1.

In terms of quality of wins, he top 2 or 3 at 145 for sure. And not ranked anywhere else.

Mcgregor is in the "its only business" tier, with guys like bob sapp and james tony

Back