Where do you rank Riddick Bowe?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Virtually Identical, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Virtually Identical Yellow Belt

As the title states, I’m curious as to where my fellow sherbros rank Riddick Bowe?

personally speaking I got him as the second best HW of the Tyson Era behind Lewis and somewhere like 8-12 in terms of ATG HW rankings.

what’re your thoughts ?

eternaldarkness and PHATV like this.
  2. XThe GreatestX Silver Belt

well

i don’t have him in the top 10 atg
    maybe top 15 i dunno

his legacy is hurt by his wasted career from 1993-1998ish

fought little to no one of note other than Evander

I actually think he would have beaten Lennox so missed opportunity there and didn’t get to fight Tyson

but he also didn’t even fight the midcarders of the era like ruddock or morrison

so what can ya do

3. Rob-G Green Belt

Well, he beat Holyfield 2 outta 3 times. That’s definitely impressive. Even though Holyfield looked horribly off his game in that 3rd fight. Outside of that Holyfield trilogy though there’s really not a whole lot else to give him credit for. Although lots of his fights are exciting. Plus that: Kicks, press conference brawls, all out riots, etc. Never a dull moment lol. Not a win resume really worth writing home about though

Hagler likes this.
  4. Oxycodone Green Belt

All-time? He's definitely top 20 at heavyweight. He's arguably top 15.

5. cocksure Silver Belt

Take away the Evander fights its pretty barren and he got pieced up by golota lol

StopDucking likes this.
  6. Oxycodone Green Belt

His resume mirrors Tyson's in many ways. They share a lot of opponents. Take away two wins from Tyson (Michael Spinks/Larry Holmes, maybe) and who does Tyson have? Razor Ruddock? Frank Bruno?

7. Blazeblack Purple Belt

#1 underachiever

8. Prefect Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Very inconsistent.

9. RichardHarrow 'arrow

He coulda been a contender

Oxycodone and RabbitPunch36 like this.
  10. ironfist05 Silver Belt

skillswise I think he's up there with all of the GOATs but resume holds him back. Somewhere in the top 9-12 ATGs probably

11. PHATV FREE @RR!!! Platinum Member

Heavyweight

12. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Great offensive skillset. So-so resume given said skillset and the options he had. Top 20ish IMO.

13. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

very good on the night he beat holyfield, big man with great skills, on his best night, who knows what would happen, i think he would have beaten lewis in that time frame but his management was obviously scared of him. as far as all time? how many fighters have had one or two great nights? we can't really rank them amongst guys who've been at or near the top for ten/twenty years. so, not all time, on his best nights and for a short period, he was the best in the division. Edit: I repeated myself but I meant that he didn't have much of a constitution as far as the punishment of the game;not something he could control. Some guys like Holyfield can fight a million wars and come through ok, some guys can only fight one, bowe was more like the latter. Whatever he lost in the holyfield fights, Golota completely finished.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Ancient Warrior likes this.
  14. Ancient Warrior Gold Belt

He never had Lewis’ discipline but I’ll be in the minority here to say he had a more diverse skillset.

15. ironfist05 Silver Belt

on a side note I've heard Big Daddy was a genuine good guy

16. svmVR2097 Brown Belt

Not top 25, won his titles when Tyson was in prison, gave his titles up because he was afraid of Lennox from being beat by him in the Olympics years earlier. Was actually the 4th best of his era. Lewis, Holyfield, Tyson, then Bowe. Great record and beat Holyfield twice sure, but there were others from his era who he could have fought but didn't as well. I think at least early on Morrison would've given him all the trouble in the world.

Not to mention, that record isnt as clean as it looks, he got his ass whooped by Golota both fights. and 2 of the weakest title defenses in history

17. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

I watched it all play out, the two title defenses are par for the course for many a new heavyweight champ as they try to cash in before taking another risk. Then, he fought the very close rematch with Evander which really could have conceivably gone either way. After that, he was looking awful nearly every fight while the idiot boxing media was still propping him up as "maybe the real best heavyweight in the world". Should have gotten disqualified against Mathis, couldn't keep Hide down. Beat holyfield in the rubber match and then fell off the cliff against Golota. So, as far as accomplishment, he didn't fulfill his promise, he came in fat and out of shape for most of his later fights but he was still an amazing big man for the first two holyfield fights. It's pretty rare to see that much skill and craft in that big of a guy along with his great stamina. I still say that with what we now know about how little shelflife he had that maybe he never could have done much more, we didn't see that at the time.

18. svmVR2097 Brown Belt

The purposeful ducking of Lewis holds him back though, it’s the most blatant duck in boxing history just about

19. mozfonky We oughta be fightin' a bottle of Geritol.

Truth is, most of the time a fighter "ducks" another, it's a managerial decision. Fighters, believe it or not , are usually not assertive in daily life.

20. svmVR2097 Brown Belt

Which is why he ducked a mini tournament final he signed on for with Lewis and then after he made he 2 lame title defenses, he offered Lewis a 10% split of $32M HBO offered for the bout.