where do you place riddick bowe in your all time rankings?

C0NCH3TO

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I have to be honest, i was not interested in boxing until couple years ago. I started to learn about legends like Lennox Lewis, Foreman, Frazier, Ali, etc. Matter of fact i thought Mike was the goat until 2008 or so LOL. That being said one friend told me about Riddick Bowe. I checked his record and he only had one fucking loss to Holyfield which he avenged later on . Really impressive if you ask me. I don't see many more big names in his resume though. Somebody knows why he didn't get to fight Mike, Lennox, Foreman or hell even klitschko ? Where do you place him in you hw all time greats list?

-he ducked lennox and vacated his wbc belt ( he also lost to him in the olympics )
-tyson was in prison when bowe became champion , and when he got out bowe was irrelevant
- klitschko , not the same generation
- Foreman was handpicking opponents at that point, and wanted nothing to do with lewis , bowe etc...
- i don't have him in my 25 ATG list

First thing I think of is the fan man fight, PANDEMONIUM!

Ducking Lennox really hurts him in terms of an all time ranking.

Agree, not even top 25 though at his best he was a damn good fighter.

The most impressive things about Bowe to me was how great of an inside fighter he was with his rangy height and long arms, so rare for a guy that tall. He threw such great uppercuts in close and hooks, a damn shame about him and Lennox.

Bowe and Buster Douglas.Two of Boxings All time greats(could have been's).

Bowe liked his chocolate cake too much and Buster man that dude could have beat anyone if he had the fierce motivation(mothers death) that he had going into the tyson fight.

Yeah, i just watched his fight with Lewis. It could have continued imo. Anyway, both were very young back then, it would have been great to see a rematch.

Riddick was lazy when it came to training. He did awesome in spite of his lack of dedication. I feel he had the tools to be an atg..but he got in his own way

Most Disrepectful sight i ever saw.

Riddick-Bowe.jpg

i hear alot of people say he ducked lewis...
mayb theres a reason... i dont think he was scared of lewis and people who fall into that are just convincing themselves. boxing is a dirty sports and the boxing heads had lewis on the rise.

lewis will always be ranked higher, but in my mind, a game bowe would beat lewis. forget the olympics

bowe had an amazing jab, had power in both hands, great in-fighter. and the main factor for me: chins,his was great, lewis not so great. bowe would smack him on his arse, its not like it hadnt happened before. thats the deciding factor.

bowe had the ability to knock him out anytime in the fight. and its not like bowe is a the smaller fighter, lewis wont have the easiest time with someone with reach and a great jab, power and chin. bowe was his own worse enemy.

lewis is a little overrated to me, yes he became champ 3 times, but he really did get put on his arse twice. A over the hill tyson and holyfield doesnt mean anything really.
and the rest dont really credit to him being called the greatest HW of all time.

bowe had an amazing jab, had power in both hands, great in-fighter. and the main factor for me: chins,his was great, lewis not so great. bowe would smack him on his arse, its not like it hadnt happened before. thats the deciding factor.

hypothetical fights don't mean anything .

bowe shamefully ducked lewis , and that's how history will remember it

It's kind of sad to hear all these people call Bowe a ducker because you usually associate that with somebody who is a coward and Big Daddy was anything but that INSIDE the ring. The guy was a real fighter and took punishment that literally took him to insanity. He beat a prime Holifield and in doing so probably engaged in one of the most brutal HW toe to toe fights in the past 25 years. You see lighter guys go toe to toe like that a lot but rarely do you see HW's do that anymore.

mayb theres a reason... i dont think he was scared of lewis and people who fall into that are just convincing themselves. boxing is a dirty sports and the boxing heads had lewis on the rise.

lewis will always be ranked higher, but in my mind, a game bowe would beat lewis. forget the olympics

bowe had the ability to knock him out anytime in the fight. and its not like bowe is a the smaller fighter, lewis wont have the easiest time with someone with reach and a great jab, power and chin. bowe was his own worse enemy.

lewis is a little overrated to me, yes he became champ 3 times, but he really did get put on his arse twice. A over the hill tyson and holyfield doesnt mean anything really.
and the rest dont really credit to him being called the greatest HW of all time.
Lewis has one of the top 3 resumes in HW boxing.

Seriously?? Are we talking about the same Lewis here??

Lennox Lewis took on all comers, and when it came time for Bowe to defend his title against Lewis he chucked his belt and instead fought Jesse Ferguson and Bert Cooper...

Lewis had a great jab, straight, and incredible resume, never mind the Tyson, Holyfield bouts, let's focus on all the top rated fighters, Michael Grant (slated to be the next big thing, destroyed in one round), Shannon Briggs, David Tua, Vitali Klitchko, Tony Tucker, hasim Rahman and this is just the tip of the ice berg..

Lennox Lewis is many things, Over rated is NOT one of them.

Bowe ducked Lewis after calling him a bum to his face.

And speaking of Bowe...I don't think I ever seen a fighter's skill diminish as fast as his..after the first Golota fight he looked terrible every fight afterwards...

And speaking of Bowe...I don't think I ever seen a fighter's skill diminish as fast as his..after the first Golota fight he looked terrible every fight afterwards...

That series with Evander took a lot out of him.

His nickname was Chicken Bowe.

That tells you where he ranks.

Back