Where can I find good Tornado Guard videos online?

ok so the inverted guard will be a different article, but seriously i'm trying to find more video of the tornado guard....

when you go to grab the pants... what is stopping the guy on top from hugging your head and laying you flat? Never tried this... just wondering.

The only thing preventing this is the lapel grip you have before going inverted. You don't have a lot of defense against the cross face and this is the major weakness of the guard imo. Better guys will get you flat with the cross face at some point. The being flat part is not that hard to deal with as there are several effective tornado guard techniques to deal with this, but the cross face is a killer. You have to defeat the cross face before you can do anything.

To MUFC, both points are necessary for my argument. Working on something you aren't good at is absolutely fine. Otherwise I probably wouldn't be doing BJJ in the first place lol. My point is that you're working on something that the main user says is attribute based. That's my only concern.

To Fedorzilla, I have WBs(being a WB myself) at my school who think they can build their entire game around the tornado guard. If I give them enough open guard space they go inverted like they set it up or something.

I ve tried it based on getting Cyborg's DVD, which is probably the best resource on it right now.

The biggest problem is that people start backing out and going back, which takes the leverage away. If they sprawl on top of your leg and their head is low, the sweep work really well and looks beautiful as well.

I think I answered my own question, because the key is to have the person broken down first. I ll try working on it today and see how it goes.
Working on new moves means getting crushed or submitted for some time though. hehe

I don't think the cross-face is a big problem if you are starting out with a 93 guard type position, as Cyborg does. Cyborg sets up the reverse armbar if his opponent reaches for the head while he has the knee in-between. Also, instead of just holding the collar, you can use the same hand to block the cross-face once your opponent's posture is broken.

I ve tried it based on getting Cyborg's DVD, which is probably the best resource on it right now.

The biggest problem is that people start backing out and going back, which takes the leverage away. If they sprawl on top of your leg and their head is low, the sweep work really well and looks beautiful as well.

I think I answered my own question, because the key is to have the person broken down first. I ll try working on it today and see how it goes.
Working on new moves means getting crushed or submitted for some time though. hehe

You really need to pull that collar grip down hard as your going inverted so that your able to get his weight on-top of your leg to finish the sweep.

I don't think the cross-face is a big problem if you are starting out with a 93 guard type position, as Cyborg does. Cyborg sets up the reverse armbar if his opponent reaches for the head while he has the knee in-between. Also, instead of just holding the collar, you can use the same hand to block the cross-face once your opponent's posture is broken.

Its not a big deal, you can easily do the sweep when your totally flattend out you just need to get the pant leg grip and use your far leg to get momentum to scoot yourself underneath of him.

Heres an example around 1:20
YouTube - roberto abreu vs braulio estima " mundial de Jiu jitsu "

At this time, I'm not a fan of inverted guards. It just doesn't seem practical to spend too much time learning sweeps/subs from here. Maybe if u were already a master of the fundamentals and getting bored with the other guards...

Tried the tornado guard today.
Roleta's grip, thumb down, works better than Cyborg's, thumb up, on the collar. It helps me break down the opponent and feels better when going inverted, because your arm is in the "right" position.

Now to the fun stuff. I worked this on lower belts who are my size or smaller. It worked fairly well on those. If the person is about the same size it will work.
On bigger guys, it is just impossible for me to get that leverage for the sweep.
They would have to really bring their head past my hips and make their feet light.

I ll keep on playing with it and see what else I can find. I think that its in an interesting setup, because I look for the underhook while in half guard, or look for the deep half guard.
If the person on top is sitting heavy on his leg and keeping his elbow closed, the tornado guard would go against his other side, which could facilitate an opening at least.

Just as a reminder, your heel will dig pretty good into the guys balls if he is not wearing a cup, so people can get fairly pissed off about it.

At this time, I'm not a fan of inverted guards. It just doesn't seem practical to spend too much time learning sweeps/subs from here. Maybe if u were already a master of the fundamentals and getting bored with the other guards...

you should still learn it a bit as it is good to go inverted to avoid the guard pass.

Although since I'm still new in the sport and definitely trying to polish my fundamentals, there is absolutely no doubt that tornado guard is used by muuuultiple prestigious black belts. Cyborg obviously comes to mind because he "named" the guard, but Cobrinha uses it ALL of the time, and so do a LOT of the lighter guys in high level tournaments (Caio, Bruno F, etc...)

Back