Where can I find good Tornado Guard videos online?

navita

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So I have a blog that I do about Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There is a BJJ poll every 10 days, and the last one was asking what newer guard techniques do you want to see? The winner was Tornado guard. So now here is where I would love your guys' help

If you know of any good tornado guard videos please post links up here!

If you have a lot of experience with tornado guard, please share some info! Anything I can get on this guard (since it's new to me too) would be a great help!

I'm going to try and get a hold of Roberto Cyborg Abreu and see if I can get info out of him on tornado guard.

I have seen stuff like this in Silat ground games, and watched people call it bullshit. Now that BJJ blackbelt is doing it it is suddenly legit. That both amuses and irritates me. Good break down of how to make it work and good points on how it will fail.

I have seen stuff like this in Silat ground games, and watched people call it bullshit. Now that BJJ blackbelt is doing it it is suddenly legit. That both amuses and irritates me. Good break down of how to make it work and good points on how it will fail.

can you please post the vids of usch moves in Silat ground games?

Well, that's considered legit cause Cyborg amply prove it against other black belt competitors in a competition, not just because he's doing it.

Anyway, I would be curious to see this silat videos too!

Roleta proved that this worked years before Cyborg.

We were talking about Cyborg, so I took him as an example, didn't necessary imply that I meant he was the first and only to make it work.

I'm still not sold on this guard. So far there's "one" top guy who does it. He did a seminar at our school on how to apply it which was amazing. He showed some techniques and helped with some trouble shooting. We really got a better understanding of the tornado guard. I've even pulled the sweep off a few times but only on people who weren't familiar with it. Two things he said about the guard really bothered me about applying it.

The first is that he said he had been playing it since blue because he thought it looked cool meaning that he kind of forced it to work instead of created something that can be applied attributed to the basic principles of BJJ. In the same sense that Ryan Hall has denounced the inverted guard he still uses it only because he's put so much time into it that he's gotten good with it. If I walk into a BJJ class for the first time I can probably apply the triangle choke and the kimura somewhat effectively shortly after learning them. The tornado/inverted guard is something anyone would need to put unnecessary time into to get even remotely good at. That's time that could be better spent else ware.

The second thing is that he said it wasn't easy to do the sweeps and that his body was better suited for it because he was bigger and stronger. I don't see Marcelo getting a poetic revenge on Cyborg with the same sweep meaning a lot of the techniques are based on strength and aggression as opposed to leverage and skill.

I'm still not sold on this guard. So far there's "one" top guy who does it. He did a seminar at our school on how to apply it which was amazing. He showed some techniques and helped with some trouble shooting. We really got a better understanding of the tornado guard. I've even pulled the sweep off a few times but only on people who weren't familiar with it. Two things he said about the guard really bothered me about applying it.

The first is that he said he had been playing it since blue because he thought it looked cool meaning that he kind of forced it to work instead of created something that can be applied attributed to the basic principles of BJJ. In the same sense that Ryan Hall has denounced the inverted guard he still uses it only because he's put so much time into it that he's gotten good with it. If I walk into a BJJ class for the first time I can probably apply the triangle choke and the kimura somewhat effectively shortly after learning them. The tornado/inverted guard is something anyone would need to put unnecessary time into to get even remotely good at. That's time that could be better spent else ware.

The second thing is that he said it wasn't easy to do the sweeps and that his body was better suited for it because he was bigger and stronger. I don't see Marcelo getting a poetic revenge on Cyborg with the same sweep meaning a lot of the techniques are based on strength and aggression as opposed to leverage and skill.

Good post...thanks for the insight.

ok so I have this video already, I was hoping someone out there knew of more... Like I said this is a totally new guard game for me, I'm a small 120 lb female, but I've pulled off the first sweep a few times.. I want to learn more but I am no where near Cyborg, So I'm going to see if I can get some video sent to me... See what I can do to give a little more insight.

That being said I do have a way to get a hold of cyborg, are there any questions you would like me to ask him in response to the tornado guard, competing, etc.?

We were talking about Cyborg, so I took him as an example, didn't necessary imply that I meant he was the first and only to make it work.

Understood. I'm just a big Roleta fan.

Your first point, I don't understand. You compare triangles and kimuras to a sweep from tornado guard. By similar reasoning as above, you would exclude spider guard, DLR guard, xguard etc. I mean, any technique requires that you put time into it. I couldn't even do shoulder rolls when I started BJJ, a little while down the way, now I can spend a 5 minute roll inverted.

Every grappler optimizes their game to suit their body type and personal preferences. The Roger is the best BJJ guy in the world, but every little thing he does has little details that he adjusted for himself. Even down to the side he passes to based on his choking hand. I mean, dude plays closed guard, I don't see how Marcelo could play closed guard on Roger....

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. Just trained, bit tired.

Understood. I'm just a big Roleta fan.

Your first point, I don't understand. You compare triangles and kimuras to a sweep from tornado guard. By similar reasoning as above, you would exclude spider guard, DLR guard, xguard etc. I mean, any technique requires that you put time into it. I couldn't even do shoulder rolls when I started BJJ, a little while down the way, now I can spend a 5 minute roll inverted.

Every grappler optimizes their game to suit their body type and personal preferences. The Roger is the best BJJ guy in the world, but every little thing he does has little details that he adjusted for himself. Even down to the side he passes to based on his choking hand. I mean, dude plays closed guard, I don't see how Marcelo could play closed guard on Roger....

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. Just trained, bit tired.

ok is there any info on Roleta? Like I said VERY new to tornado guard, I'm using this poll to do as much research into a new game for me... The winner was tornado guard... so yea I would love any and all info and where you could point me...

and it's completely fine that you dont make sense... training takes a ton out of you.

ok is there any info on Roleta? Like I said VERY new to tornado guard, I'm using this poll to do as much research into a new game for me... The winner was tornado guard... so yea I would love any and all info and where you could point me...

and it's completely fine that you dont make sense... training takes a ton out of you.

Roleta didn't necessarily play "tornado guard" but he innovated the inverted guard and did the helicopter sweep.

Roberto Roleta Magalhaes - BJJ Heroes

when you go to grab the pants... what is stopping the guy on top from hugging your head and laying you flat? Never tried this... just wondering.

The tornado/inverted guard is something anyone would need to put unnecessary time into to get even remotely good at. That's time that could be better spent else ware.

I don't think anybody is trying to build their whole game around it. I have worked the stuff in that video because I end up inverted a decent bit when trying to avoid a guard pass. Those sweeps can be there and so can the triangle. But, it's not like you should pull tornado guard on people because your whole game is based on it. Ryan Hall's inverted guard is sick, but even he uses it only in some situations and not often at the highest levels (Cobrinha, Mendes) except to just re-guard.

when you go to grab the pants... what is stopping the guy on top from hugging your head and laying you flat? Never tried this... just wondering.

I will actually ask him about this... I was wondering the same thing...

I've just recently started working the helicopter sweep into my half guard game (using Cyborg's DVD set for reference), and I'm loving it. It also blends in well with the half guard Kimura game, which I'm also starting to play more and more as people expose themselves to it in their attempt to stop me from getting underneath them. Some people might find that you need a strong back to be able to play this type of game (being an avid deadlifter, I may be guilty of this attribute), but even if you can't finish the sweep on a much bigger opponent, you may still use his reaction to set up a triangle, snatch the Kimura or take the back. Cyborg is in no way the only guy who uses this sweep successfully, and I think it's kind of a cop-out to dismiss it as an attribute-based move.

Here's Roleta teaching the helicopter sweep, and using it to set up a reverse inverted triangle:

YouTube - Roberto Roleta BJJ Inverted Guard Helicopter Sweep Instructional

YouTube - Roleta BJJ Inverted Guard Triangle Variation

Back