Where are all the super fights?

Roids

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm an mma and boxing fan, more so mma, and recently noticed what a sharp contrast both codes have when it comes to super fights. In mma, we just had Jones v Cormier, a few weeks ago. This weekend will be another huge fight with Gustaffsen and Rumble, and next weekend the legend Silva and Diaz. All this in the space of a month!

Where are all the boxing super fights? Maybe 1 a year if we are lucky. The 'highlights' last year were Manny and Mayweather beating up out matched opponents, and nothing else from memory, and it does not seem to be getting any better. Barely anything to get excited about, while mma delivers super fights on almost a monthly basis.

Boxing is in trouble.

the quality of your counter argument proves my point

Cotto vs Canelo would've been a superfight in my opinion but looks like it has been cancelled which is a huge shame

There has been lots of talk about Manny vs Floyd again but wont probably happen.

I wonder who will Khan fight next...

And while Gus vs Rumble is a great match up, I dont know if its a "super fight". Or maybe I myself am just not that hyped about it as I should

I'm an mma and boxing fan, more so mma, and recently noticed what a sharp contrast both codes have when it comes to super fights. In mma, we just had Jones v Cormier, a few weeks ago. This weekend will be another huge fight with Gustaffsen and Rumble, and next weekend the legend Silva and Diaz. All this in the space of a month!

Where are all the boxing super fights? Maybe 1 a year if we are lucky. The 'highlights' last year were Manny and Mayweather beating up out matched opponents, and nothing else from memory, and it does not seem to be getting any better. Barely anything to get excited about, while mma delivers super fights on almost a monthly basis.

Boxing is in trouble.

Gustafsson.

I know it's hard when you're late to work but still...

I don't know how many versions of his name I've seen on sherdog. It's ridiculous.

The fact that there is a chance of a big superfight in Money/Manny puts boxing ahead of MMA in this aspect.

When was the last superfight like that? BJ vs. GSP?

Yeah they had Bendo/Gil, but missed the chance of making:

- GSP/Diaz when it made sense (UFC vs. Strikeforce), not with Diaz coming from a loss;
- GSP/Silva, that Dana kept it from happening by getting angry at Silva in the Emirates
- Aldo/Petts, by asking Aldo do relinquish his belt to try moving up

I could name at least 5 more instances where the UFC, which has a lot more power over their fighters than any company in boxing, failed to make fights between champions.

oh ok, so a superfight that has never actually happened yet puts boxing ahead of mma in this aspect? lol...

Even if it happens its just one big fight. They are so rare in boxing these days. The last big one was Canelo, mayweather back in 2013 and it was a total snoozer.

oh ok, so a superfight that has never actually happened yet puts boxing ahead of mma in this aspect? lol...

Even if it happens its just one big fight. They are so rare in boxing these days. The last big one was Canelo, mayweather back in 2013 and it was a total snoozer.

The last one UFC had (Bendo/Gil) was also in 2013, it happened BEFORE Canelo/Money and was boring as hell and both guys showed that they were clearly not the best LWs in the world in their next few fights.

BJ/GSP was the last MMA real superfight, when was that again?

I don't even know why I am arguing. They should just wasteland this shitty thread.

This guy said Gustafsson and Superfight in the same sentence ........

And the last "Superfight" in boxing was just last year Froch vs Groves and Jones vs Cormier can't even hold a candle to it. Come to think about it any big fight in boxing>>>>MMA's "SuperFight"

Last edited:
Who the hell is George Groves? Never heard of him in my life. Jones Cormier was a superfight, and you telling me Silva and Diaz is not?

Jones vs Cormier isn't a super-fight. It's a champion fighting his number 1 contender. Rumble vs Gus is is a title eliminator. MMDKSAB

And lol at Silva vs Diaz being a superfight. Run along.

Jones vs Cormier isn't a super-fight. It's a champion fighting his number 1 contender. Rumble vs Gus is is a title eliminator. MMDKSAB

And lol at Silva vs Diaz being a superfight. Run along.

lol, this.

Silva - coming from 2 losses.
Diaz - coming from two losses.

SUPERFIGHT ZOMG!!!!

You're right, if you call every MMA fight a "super fight" and downplay equal matchups in boxing then MMA appears to have better fights.

But the illusion only takes you so far. Once people tune in on illegal video streams and see round after round of grappling with the occasional grade-school haymaker they are unlikely to become repeat viewers.

There are no super fights in MMA since there are no super fighters.

How do you define superfight TS? Seems like every main event fight is a superfight by your definition. A superfight should be when two legit world champions fight each other.

Who the hell is George Groves? Never heard of him in my life. Jones Cormier was a superfight, and you telling me Silva and Diaz is not?
if you don't know one of boxing's top contenders , why should anyone bother taking your uneducated ramblings seriously ?
George Groves is the guy that co-drew over 80,000 fans to a large stadium ( the kind of events Dana white is having wet dreams about ) and sold more than 1.2 million ppv buys ( a number the UFC hasn't seen in a long time ) . you're telling me that wasn't a superfight ? yeah sure .

and let's not even get into Roman gonzalez vs akira yaegashi , Gamboa vs Crawford , Hopkins vs Kovalev , Canelo vs Lara etc.... because you probably don't know any of these fighters since you don't know shit about boxing .

if you don't know one of boxing's top contenders , why should anyone bother taking your uneducated ramblings seriously ?
George Groves is the guy that co-drew over 80,000 fans to a large stadium ( the kind of events Dana white is having wet dreams about ) and sold more than 1.2 million ppv buys ( a number the UFC hasn't seen in a long time ) . you're telling me that wasn't a superfight ? yeah sure .

and let's not even get into Roman gonzalez vs akira yaegashi , Gamboa vs Crawford , Hopkins vs Kovalev , Canelo vs Lara etc.... because you probably don't know any of these fighters since you don't know shit about boxing .

Dude should just lurk moar.

I don't know him because hes just a domestic figher who had never fought anyone, and couldnt even stop a 44 year old Glen Johnson. He's a nobody unless your a hardcore boxing nut.

When I talk of superfights I talk of top fighters and big names, that even casual fans recognise and get excited about. The established stars, you are listing names I have never heard of, apart from Canelo and Hopkins who is near 50 now, what a joke.

Jon Jones is the biggest star in MMA, so his fight are always big news, while Mayweather just rematched a guy he easily beat last time, and apparently now he is going to rematch Coto? It's a joke. There are no more stars apart from Manny, Floyd, and maybe Canelo who has a big following and star potential. Nobody even cares about the HW division.

Boxing is in trouble.

How is Dorothy keeping these days?

Back