Where are all the non-sim sports titles?

bdreason

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Where are the games like NBA Jam? NBA Street? MLB Slugfest? NFL Blitz? NHL Hitz?

Some of my favorite games growing up were weird sports-action games. Does anyone remember playing Base Wars? That game was the shit. They could make a really cool Robot Baseball/Football game with modern game engines.

Anyways, the popularity of Rocket League is what got me thinking. Where are all the non-sim sports titles?

i loved nba jam on the xbox. After you beat all the nba teams you had go up against differnet made up teams. There were monsters with wolfman, invisible man and zombie. Then you had to beat the former presidents of the usa. Then there was the final boss, the aliens. Zhmournof, SXoliefer and Steve. Steve was the bad ass little point gaurd while the other two were big ass lurch motherfuckers. Damn i loved that game. Then with zbox 360 they released a new version and they started added more complicated aspects to the game to make it new instead of sticking to the basics and it sucked. the game wasnt supposed to be hard. you werent supposed to have to strategize and run plays. The developers thought that was the next step up but it actually killed the nba jam franchise.

NBA Street Volume 2 and NHL Hitz we're my shit. Loved those games.

i loved nba jam on the xbox. After you beat all the nba teams you had go up against differnet made up teams. There were monsters with wolfman, invisible man and zombie. Then you had to beat the former presidents of the usa. Then there was the final boss, the aliens. Zhmournof, SXoliefer and Steve. Steve was the bad ass little point gaurd while the other two were big ass lurch motherfuckers. Damn i loved that game. Then with zbox 360 they released a new version and they started added more complicated aspects to the game to make it new instead of sticking to the basics and it sucked. the game wasnt supposed to be hard. you werent supposed to have to strategize and run plays. The developers thought that was the next step up but it actually killed the nba jam franchise.

Lol that's like Ninendo turning Mario Kart into Gran Turismo. So dumb.

I'm assuming the licensing of the leagues helped in killing these games.

Since budgest, graphics, memory, etc has evolved people and developers no longer feel they should pay/can charge 60 bucks for simple arcade games, so games have gone in to simulation to include realistic commentary/plays/teams/players to compete with the depth/lenght/technology of other games in other genres (since the playstation days games like Metal Gear Solid, Residen Evil were being called movie-like compared to the contra's of the NES days, so sports game had to evolve to feel tv like compared to the old tecmo bowl).

If you look in to the arcade live games there are more simple games like Madden Arcade selling for cheap.

For the arcade style sports games have moved to mobile. For such a title to be financially successful on Console/Pc. The developers would need to introduce carrot on a stick type mechanics that would create game imbalances.

And yes, it's really happening!

Good question. This game was jokes back in the day.

[YT]TjbnxWceJ_s[/YT]

I liked Super Sim Baseball. I forget the mechanics, but you could give different players different power-ups and shit right?

Another NES classic is Super Spike V-Ball.

For the arcade style sports games have moved to mobile. For such a title to be financially successful on Console/Pc. The developers would need to introduce carrot on a stick type mechanics that would create game imbalances.

This new Rocket League game seems to be doing pretty well despite having simple mechanics and being marketed towards PC users.

I liked Super Sim Baseball. I forget the mechanics, but you could give different players different power-ups and shit right?

Another NES classic is Super Spike V-Ball.

There was all kinds of crazy anime shit. Like your pitcher could split into 5 illusions, or turn the ball into a leaf that slowly floats towards the plate.

Back