Whenever someone makes a millennial joke I roll my eyes

Its so funny talking to older gens. It's not about working hard, its about effieceny. As an example, I was talking to an Xer about how one of our processes is being streamlined with a new Excel setup we got going on, shaving hours off of our workloads.

He starts ranting "Oh, when we were starting out we didn't even have calculators! We had to do things by hand and we really learned the process in and out"

bro- who gives a fuck if you can long divide 20501508626 by 5815351 when I can take a calculator and save myself the work. Its such a dated way of thinking.

I agree with the 'work smarter, not harder' philosophy that millennials follow. Nothing wrong with that. But I also believe in the concept of earning things, not asking for things because you feel you're entitled to or because "it's fair". I believe in putting in work to get good results and then being rewarded for it. Not just asking for stuff up and expecting people to give it to you and leave somewhere else if they don't.

I see too much of this at work and my other Gen Xers friends do too in theirs; Millennials coming in straight from school with little to no experience and asking for Manager and senior positions, an office, PTO time, leaving early to walk their dogs or whatever the fuck they do, etc.

I would be ok if they've proven themselves and earned it with results, regardless of how they got those results, either by working smarter or working hard, as long as they have proven themselves and earned it.

So all those hard working people in their thirties with college degrees are the lazy millennials?

<Dana05>

I thought millennials were like college age now.
yup most millenials were kids in the late 80's to mid 90' I went to college in 2005. my cousin was born in the year 2000 and he is 18 right now(gen Z)in college

Wasting time doing unnecessarily difficult things makes you better at doing unnecessarily difficult things. If you run 2 hours to work everyday you will be better at doing difficult things, and you will be better at running to work. However, I would have saved plenty on time and be an overall more efficient and effective employee than you.

Likewise, when I can deposit a check, check my balances and reroute money through an app, but you are stedfast that you must go physically to the bank, well guess who's going to be faster?

Speed is the name of the game in this generation, and the turtles aren't beating the rabbits.

I'm going to try and address this concept with you that @Phlog raised by using an example I have told before.

My brother dated a gal whose dad died when she was very young and as an old child of divorced parents she got the money he left when she turned 18. It was not millions but it was a couple hundred thousand which was big money at the time especially for an 18 year old.

She was actually quite responsible with it buying a house in Uni and renting out all the other rooms to other students.

However when I met her 20 years later she explained to me what happened.

She said because she had that money she never had to put up with a shitty job, and she did not, she would just quit. She never worked her way up anywhere. And over time when her money ran out, because she was not making enough income and now, at age 40 she was forced to do what most others did in their 20's which is put up with shitty jobs, difficult co workers, etc.

So no one is saying it is good to have shitty jobs or difficult co workers. But what is being said is that you learn a lot of useful coping skills that help you at every stage if you do. You learn to compromise, pick your battles, make friends or allies at work, etc.

Few people would take those lessons voluntarily and almost all would gladly have the easier path, but that does not mean they would be better, stronger more capable for it.

I'm going to try and address this concept with you that @Phlog raised by using an example I have told before.

My brother dated a gal whose dad died when she was very young and as an old child of divorced parents she got the money he left when she turned 18. It was not millions but it was a couple hundred thousand which was big money at the time especially for an 18 year old.

She was actually quite responsible with it buying a house in Uni and renting out all the other rooms to other students.

However when I met her 20 years later she explained to me what happened.

She said because she had that money she never had to put up with a shitty job, and she did not, she would just quit. She never worked her way up anywhere. And over time when her money ran out, because she was not making enough income and now, at age 40 she was forced to do what most others did in their 20's which is put up with shitty jobs, difficult co workers, etc.

So no one is saying it is good to have shitty jobs or difficult co workers. But what is being said is that you learn a lot of useful coping skills that help you at every stage if you do. You learn to compromise, pick your battles, make friends or allies at work, etc.

Few people would take those lessons voluntarily and almost all would gladly have the easier path, but that does not mean they would be better, stronger more capable for it.

Yeah we all know of how fucked trust fund kids get, how those that have had to do it themselves are often more competent.

You can get jacked by hard work and years or by using steroids. The steroid route however sets you up for failure when off them as your expectations with regards to reps, weight, recovery, gains are permanently tainted by the experience.

You could use translation software but actually learning the language allows you to think as the natives do.

My dad always wants to use machinery at work when I can do it faster by throwing my shoulder into it. My arguement is that with my method I get stronger every day. Sure his is easier but I ain't after easy.

Back