When you realize you're not very talented

Try this....

<==== white belt.... 4 years and counting. If that's not untalented, I don't know what is

^

yeah but how many times a week do you train?

4 years isn't say much cause you can train once a month... for a total of 48 classes which is still not uncommon to still be a blue belt.

but if you were training 5 times a week every week for four years then yes... that is... untalented...

ok. I'll be fair.....

I've only been training seriously for a year. By seriously I mean 5 times a week. Before that I'd be like 2x a week for a few months then take a month or 2 off cos of other commitments etc etc. But I took my first classes 4 odd years ago I think.

For me it's in the standup.

Sometimes I have a hard time checking leg kicks and it's frustrating as hell.

It's getting better though and it's no big deal because I'm not expecting to be the next champion or anything.

Here's a video I found of Gary Kasparov, one of the greatest chess players in the world. He's talking about what it takes to be a chess champion, making mistakes, and learning from your mistakes. I think its very fitting for grappling.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B2KKfOGaR_w&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B2KKfOGaR_w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I play chess as well, very similar. It still blows me away how similar BJJ and Chess are.

Never give up. I can relate, I am a guy in my late 30s who does judo. Big and strong but no natural grappling ability. I am a "project". If you work hard, people will often help you. Take advantage of this and keep trying. If you want to get better , you will.

I've known since I was little that I have no talent to speak of. But the great thing about participating in sports as an adult is that there are relatively few vets and it's mostly noobs. That's an enviroment anyone can get in good in, in time.

keep working. 5 times a week. Are you letting yourself rest and heal up enough between sessions? any chance you are over training?

Back