When you get sleepy while driving do you pull over and take a nap or try to force yourself awake

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TidWell, Sep 1, 2018.

1. TidWell Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I recently fell asleep at a stop light during the last route of deliveries, I work the night shift and my deliveries are usually over at 5:30 AM to 6:30 depending on how fast I get them done. I work the night shift because its easier no traffic.

Since I was delivering locally I didn't have a co driver with me, Ill go off and on the freeways a few times but mainly driving on the surface street, I fell asleep and dozed off on a stop light the streets were empty, my eyes were getting heavy and I blinked and fell asleep like that waiting for the turn light, I only woke up when a car that stopped behind me was honking, he banged on my window and told me hello wake up man you alive? I was drooling and my head was on my steering wheel, luckily I wasn't pressing the gas.

This is the first time I ever fell asleep on the road while driving and it was scary.

I'm just lucky I wasn't on the freeway, I was just delivering locally I was in the city of Vernon, I dropped the last package off and the owner of the business is cool and always lets me take a nap in the parking lot there so Ill just park the Dodge promaster and sleep for a good two or 3 hours, I thought I could just will myself for 10 minutes more it was just around the corner, but dam I fell asleep just closed my eyes for a split second and went right to sleep.

Im going to pull over just put a timer on my phone and take a nap from now on. Shit I could have hit someone or been hit.

2. Loiosh Detective Platinum Member

Driving tired is more dangerous than driving drunk.

3. Shaungotti Black Belt

I've never pulled over for a nap but there are times when I should have.

When I first started driving I thought the idea of falling asleep while driving was absurd. Then when I was 19 I took a very long blink on a country road and found myself in the oncoming traffic lane. Lesson learned.

Sounds dumb but if I'm really tired I'll yell a couple times. Works for me.

4. antithetic Banned Banned

Vernon BC?

I've driven across the country 10 times, 2 times with kids. I'd pull over or find a safe place to rest but it's never happened to me.

Longest for me was Peterborough to Thunder Bay.

5. NZbetterthanOZ Banned Banned

I have enough discipline to ensure I am well rested before getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. Nice job endangering the lives of everyone else though. I bet you text and drive as well.

6. Fijeeto Berserk Belt

A monster and bag of skittles keep me awake. I recently drove from indiana to Arizona and managed 17 hours before finding a hotel.

7. TidWell Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Vernon, California

8. WaylonMercy5150 Silver Belt

I don't drive because I want to leave a very small carbon footprint........

And The DUI

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  9. TidWell Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I cant do the caffeine thing it makes me want to take a piss, and ill constantly want to urinate and drink more fluids

Whats bad about driving the night shift is taking a dump if you have to take a dump you will be hard pressed to find any restrooms open, you can pull over and piss in a big cup but if you need to take a dump all the stores are closed, the one time I had to take dump at 4:00 and luckily the Double Tree I stopped at had a clean restroom in the lobby and they let me use it.

10. armbarforhire Black Belt

Drive, but most of my trips are 40 minutes max mostly around 20.

11. aerius Red Belt

Amphetamines. the answer is amphetamines.

12. Jumpy Invincible

I'll pull over and nap in a parking lot or something.

13. TidWell Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I only started getting sleepy toward the end of my shift, Ill be wide awake from 1 am to 4 am

this was the first time I ever got legit heavy eyelids and it was scary now I know why they say driving tired is Dangerous, I just closed my eyes for what was half a second and later some guy was banging on my window to wake me up, I could only imagine if I was on the freeway and still driving.

I think because I had some donuts and it caused a sugar crash. Ill usually snack on those pretzel sticks without salt or ill have a bag of carrots and celery, with fruits but I didn't pack my cooler because I was taking over someones shift who was sick, I jumped right on it last minute (its extra money and it was local I didn't have to drive much on the freeway just around the industrial cities like Vernon, but I got hungry and only had some donuts on deck so I just ate a couple and I think that made me tired.

14. MikeMcMann Banned Banned

Best truck drivers trick is a big bag of sunflower seeds or in shell peanuts.

Forcing yourself to concentrate to remove the shell to eat them keeps you awake.

15. luv24nic8 Purple Belt

The more tired i get, the faster i drive!

16. IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

dude, don't risk your life, or the lives of others, over not getting enough sleep.

my dad was a mechanic for more than thirty years (is retired now), and way back in 94' the same thing happened to him. but he was driving back to the garage one of those big water delivery trucks. he was a mechanic on those huge engines those trucks have. anyway, he did the same thing and fell asleep at a stop light. rammed right into an 18-wheeler that was at the same stop-light in front of him. luckily, it was a gigantic truck, so the driver was obviously fine. there was damage to the back of the truck, but the company paid for the damages. but imagine if it was a fucking honda civic in front of him.

i don't even want to think of what could have happened to the person in front of him, and my own father. the point of my post: SLEEP if you feel you need to. never take the risk. it isn't ever worth it.

17. ocean size Red Belt

If you are driving up the one just pull out your chode and wack one

18. Andersons Foot Banned Banned

I was driving back to Kentucky from Houston and I got super tired around Memphis. Pulled over to get an energy drink and splash cold water on my face, made it back but I was doing a lot of this

[​IMG]

19. TidWell Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Your pops probably felt the same way like im almost there I could will myself and keep away just a few minutes away and bam you close your eyes and you are a sleep.

Thsi chick was either sleepy or texting while driving but she was in and out driving like a drunk and then crashes the guy filming gets hit too

Its crazy because I tried to will myself to stay awake I was already off the freeway and just waiting the stop light was really long the street was empty, my eyelids were so heavy man I closed it and I quickly fell asleep, I thought the guys business is only 10 minutes I can make it and ill just take a nap im on the surface street and its empty its my last stop

Ill never do that again man what if there was a pedestrian or another car shit could have been bad.

I fell asleep so fast I closed my eyes and all of a sudden I hear some guy banging on my window.

20. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

I used to try to force myself to stay awake. That is until one day I was driving like that and completely hallucinated a freeway that wasn’t actually there. The next time it happened, I pulled over and took a nap for about a half hour.