Elections When will a first world nation feel they have to revoke an election?

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
When will the first major post-enlightenment industrialized western democracy have to cancel an election or void one after the fact because the nation doesn't trust the general populous to know reality anymore - for good cause?

A. Within 5 years
B. Within 10 years
C. Within 50 years
D. 50+ years or never

- question stolen from Jay Shapiro

Doesn't Britain do that (somewhat frequently) with their booting of the elected prime Minister by the party to put one of their own in?

I'd go with 'D' but if we're counting Brazil, I could see it happening there as a longshot.

I'd go with 'D' but if we're counting Brazil, I could see it happening there as a longshot.

Does Brazil really count as "major post-enlightenment industrialized democracy"? I always kind of saw them on the same level as Mexico. Not 3rd world, but can't call them 1st world and in the same tier as US, Canada, and western Europe

Brazil could definitely get wild

I'd say we came close in 2016. 3 million extra people voted for Hillary of all people in 2016. What a total disaster that would have been, Luckily, we have fool proof systems in place like the Electoral College to fix that error in judgement by people.

The question reminded me of the Brexit vote where it was a close vote and then tons of people did goggle searches after they vote in the UK on what was the EU.

Do you mean an election for chief executive like a president, prime minister? Within 10 years. Will happen in the US or UK first when some Jihad squad type characters are elected. The election will be revoked in the framework of abolishing direct democracy otherwise it's probably not legally or realistically (due to political gridlock) doable in the US, at least, and this nation will probably be on the verge of or in a civil war, with low-intensity, politically motivated violence initially.

We are already seeing this with the latest mass shootings in the US and ANTIFA, counter ANTIFA groups.

Need a clarification on the question: are you asking if a government would cancel an upcoming election because they feel like the populace can't be trusted to vote? Or that the public will end elections because they feel like they can't be trusted anymore?

I'd say we came close in 2016. 3 million extra people voted for Hillary of all people in 2016. What a total disaster that would have been, Luckily, we have fool proof systems in place like the Electoral College to fix that error in judgement by people.
That damn racist Electoral College!

Does Brazil really count as "major post-enlightenment industrialized democracy"? I always kind of saw them on the same level as Mexico. Not 3rd world, but can't call them 1st world and in the same tier as US, Canada, and western Europe
They're a representative democracy and top 10 GDP. They are behind on infrastructure and income though. I think they could pop up into the discussion before too terribly long (20 years?), and still have the potential to have some super crazy election-overturning.

They're a representative democracy and top 10 GDP. They are behind on infrastructure and income though. I think they could pop up into the discussion before too terribly long (20 years?), and still have the potential to have some super crazy election-overturning.

Good luck with that assertion. Brazil has been experiencing what is now America 2.0 for roughly 20 years already. Look at their current election. Brazil is fed up.

That damn racist Electoral College!
It’s not racist, it’s anti-human... as in, it gives preference to vast tracts of empty space over actual living, breathing human beings.

Brilliant system...

Last edited:
It’s not racist, it’s anti-human... as in, it gives preference to vast tracts of empty space over actual living, breathing human beings.

Brilliant system...

Democrat-Party-Seal-Baby-Crying.jpg

Doesn't Britain do that (somewhat frequently) with their booting of the elected prime Minister by the party to put one of their own in?

No not really , in a Paliamentary system we vote for a party not a President .

The Left hate democracy because 'we' can't be trusted to vote the correct party in.
Brexit.

The Left hate democracy because 'we' can't be trusted to vote the correct party in.
Brexit.
Flipside
Brexit is actualy the right hate democracy in that they are trying to force something through which didnt have a large pro majority ( no major change should ever be pushed through on so slim a margin ) or any binding power over the democraticly elected parliment
and now they refuse to allow the overwhelming majority their right to cancel when the rich elites lies and b.s have been long exposed

Brilliant system...
You should contact your representative and senators. Be the change you want to see in the world.

Within 5 years...More Specifically 2020.

Trump is gonna lose the election......He is gonna bitch about fake votes and fake news etc, then bitch about how he couldn't do shit because democrats/media were working against em during his presidency thus he feels he was robbed of time as being president...so he will ask for 2 more years......The Republicans will back em....Half the country will back em.....it will be enough that he will get his ways for a while.

Brilliant system...

Tracts of empty space can vote?

We’ve already seen entrenched powers attempt to void results of an election here in the USA. IMO that’s pretty much the same thing, they just happened to fail this time around. Other Western governments have signaled their willingness to void/overturn unacceptable election results at a time when entrenched powers are losing their grip.

But aside from that, I’ll go with “A” because there’s no way the UK government allows Brexit to go through.

Back