when were you the most frustrated?

skinnyhb

White Belt
Reaction score
im in the end of my first month here and have left my last 3 classes frustrated as all hell. im not sure if its because i roll with these egomaniac high whites who just tap me over and over and act like im retarded for losing to them, or if i just have too high expectations. you guys?

Give it time, find an aspect of your game that works and you feel comfortable with, and work the hell out of it, even if its just defense, work on escapes and say I won't be armbared or mounted or choked and stick to it. Atleast then you can feel good about your class because you didn't get armbarred mounted or choked.

Don't get frustrated.

Tonight we were drilling this armbar from side mount and when I would finish it, I was like "that's not right. God damn thats wrong". And the instrutor said it was perfect. I was getting frusterated and kept over thinking everything. I proceeded to relax, stop thinking, wrestle, and came home and had a good night after my brief anxiety on the mat.

i got frustrated when this bastard was going really hard at it - i like to roll relaxed and working technique, not strength. anyway he was really doing it 100% like nearly killing me with his forearm on my throat and shit - but only until he got side-control. when he was there, he just laid on me. sparring rounds were 5 minutes each and it was running out with this bastard laying on me, so i let him get to the mount to reverse him and started working but my time ran out.

i don't care if i get tapped. i care if the guy holds me down and kills my sparring time.

Yesterday I tapped out due to smoothering(sp?) in side control. I couldn't breathe or escape out of it for shit.

I get frustrated by new whites.

I am a 3 month white belt. We get spastic new guys all of the time. I pull guard and lay there when rolling with them. They usually poop out within 30 seconds or so. I wait for them to do something stupid, sweep them, and either mount them or get them in Kesa and just hold them there until they quit flopping around.

To me, nothing says "You just got bitched" like pinning someone and making them feel helpless. After this, they usually take it easy.

Last night I spent 10 minutes under a blue belt weighing 110 kilos and when i finally swept him from half guard I spent 10 unsuccessful minutes in mount and sidemount trying to sub him.
Pretty frustrating and especially so since it was my last training before Christmas.

b0b said:
I get frustrated by new whites.

I am a 3 month white belt. We get spastic new guys all of the time. I pull guard and lay there when rolling with them. They usually poop out within 30 seconds or so. I wait for them to do something stupid, sweep them, and either mount them or get them in Kesa and just hold them there until they quit flopping around.

To me, nothing says "You just got bitched" like pinning someone and making them feel helpless. After this, they usually take it easy.

Coincedently, the person i was rolling with was a three month white belt that pinned me down yesterday.

skinnyhb said:
im in the end of my first month here and have left my last 3 classes frustrated as all hell. im not sure if its because i roll with these egomaniac high whites who just tap me over and over and act like im retarded for losing to them, or if i just have too high expectations. you guys?

Stick with it bro. I think most people here will tell you that one month is nothing. Everybody gets frustrated repeatedly as a beginner. You just have to brush it off and keep going to class to learn stuff (even if you learn that the egomaniac high white you're rolling with is doing all the WRONG shit...at least you learned something). Then go home and drill stuff and think BJJ as much as you can.

The learning curve is very slow, as in many sports. Think of all the other sports you might try: golf, snowboarding, skiing, racquetball...you name it. In general, after several months you'll feel like you're making progress, and after a few years, you can honestly say that you actually feel COMPETENT in the sport.

These guys are months or years ahead of you in training, it's going to be hard to catch up. Try to get ahead of the curve by training more days of the week, do some additional training on your own, watch instructionals, studying moves from books or bjj.org, etc. Put more time/effort in than the other guys & you'll catch up in skill much faster. Stick with it though, it'll get better soon.

Your training partners sound like jackasses if they rub it in after they beat you. Everybody at my school was very cool with new guys when I started, and I do the same.

Back