Television When was your Game of Thrones breaking point?

The travelling in general was always my fav parts of this show. Tyrion has great travels and travel buddies in this show.
Agreed. That's when a lot of the great dialogue would flourish. Also one of the reasons why us nerds complained about the lack of travel in the later seasons, with everyone teleporting from one end of the map to the other in a matter of minutes. It just felt rushed.

Maybe they meant that there wasn't enough story to take from anymore. It's no coincidence that they ran out of ideas, when they ran out of books.
They were tired of the series and wanted to do something else. The problem is, there was tons of story left, and they said fuck it, let's get this thing out so we can work on some alternate civil war thing.

I've went back and watched the series and I didn't make it past the first episode of season 4. The drop off is insane.

Agreed. That's when a lot of the great dialogue would flourish. Also one of the reasons why us nerds complained about the lack of travel in the later seasons, with everyone teleporting from one end of the map to the other in a matter of minutes. It just felt rushed.

Although again I think that comes down to a fundamental issue the show had, what made the traveling sections work so well is that they were very heavy on character building and relationships between characters. After the 4th season I think you had a problem that a lot of these character interactions were quite played out, we'd seen enough to Tyrion and Varys or Jamie and Bronn which rendered those plots relatively dull.

I suspect D&D saw the bad reactions to those sections in the 5th and 6th seasons and desided it was a choice between timing the shows length for its characters and timing it for its plot then went for the former. Plot wise there would probably have been enough for 9-10 seasons but character wise I think you'd have been scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Although again I think that comes down to a fundamental issue the show had, what made the traveling sections work so well is that they were very heavy on character building and relationships between characters. After the 4th season I think you had a problem that a lot of these character interactions were quite played out, we'd seen enough to Tyrion and Varys or Jamie and Bronn which rendered those plots relatively dull.

I suspect D&D saw the bad reactions to those sections in the 5th and 6th seasons and desided it was a choice between timing the shows length for its characters and timing it for its plot then went for the former. Plot wise there would probably have been enough for 9-10 seasons but character wise I think you'd have been scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The interactions between Jamie and Bronn and Tyrion and Varys got stale because there was no depth- it was just quip after quip. It was stupid.

By contrast the Arya/Hound story could have meandered for much longer and no one would have complained

The interactions between Jamie and Bronn and Tyrion and Varys got stale because there was no depth- it was just quip after quip. It was stupid.

By contrast the Arya/Hound story could have meandered for much longer and no one would have complained

The lack of depth though is I think the result of the character interactions being played out, we see Vary's converting Tyrion to a more moral position across the 2nd to the 4th seasons, by the 5th and 6th season there really isn't much more movement there so you end up with a shallower interaction.

Ayra and the Hound work up to the climax of her leaving him to die slowly and then doesn't go back to the well too often after that with only a small time together in season 8.

The lack of depth though is I think the result of the character interactions being played out, we see Vary's converting Tyrion to a more moral position across the 2nd to the 4th seasons, by the 5th and 6th season there really isn't much more movement there so you end up with a shallower interaction.

Ayra and the Hound work up to the climax of her leaving him to die slowly and then doesn't go back to the well too often after that with only a small time together in season 8.
Yeah that's a good point
I guess my only disagreement is which came first, as in did the lack of depth make the character interactions feel played out or were they played out because of how much they went to that well and that made them less deepm

A perfect example of this was that lame feud between Arya and Sansa in season 7 that set up Littlefinger's death. It was just so contrived and out of left field. I've never written anything and I'm just some jerkoff but I learned somewhere that in a great piece of fiction, the story is driven by the actions/characteristics/motivations of the characters and not vice-versa. We can see that on full display with GOT.

For me season 7 was the breaking point, specifically the aforementioned death of Littlefinger and especially the ridiculous episode where they went north of the Wall to bring back a wight to show Cersei. The plan was retarded from the get-go, them getting stranded on the ice was cringe-worthy, Khaleesi flying up there in 5 minutes was insulting to the audience, and how the hell did they get those chains on the dragon to pull it up? I knew right then that these fuckin guys were lost without the books and that there was no way that the ending wouldn't be garbage.

Yes, the wight's couldn't cross the water to get to them on the island but could somehow get a heavy chain around the dragon to pull it out.

How do you know that wasn't GRRM's outline of how he planned to end things? He supposedly told them his plans for the ending.

I still think that GRRM never finished the books because he couldn't come up with a good way to do it.

Yes, the wight's couldn't cross the water to get to them on the island but could somehow get a heavy chain around the dragon to pull it out.

How do you know that wasn't GRRM's outline of how he planned to end things? He supposedly told them his plans for the ending.

I still think that GRRM never finished the books because he couldn't come up with a good way to do it.
I think he has an ending but cant get there writing wise
Like i read somewhere once that he placed a time skip at some point, but realized it fucked with one of the plot lines so scrapped it - and hes been trying to make it worth without the skip since

It could very well have been his ending, supposedly he let them know what it is or gave them a rough outline. But it became clear in the later seasons that without the structure of a book to go off of they weren't gonna be able to pull it off. And the proof is in the pudding, that final season was a dumpster fire.

"And who here has a better story than 'Bran the Broken' ?"
<Varys01>
So it was mostly very good.
<Jaime01>

I get what you're saying and it can be somewhat true in some instances. The problem is that even the "new interactions", such as Tyrion/Daenerys, seemed pretty uninspired, compared to the first 4 seasons, where even non relevant dialogues between secondary characters were interesting.
So, I don't know what happened, writers changed, lost inspiration, or they just decided to do fan service and neglect the dialogues.

I get what you're saying and it can be somewhat true in some instances. The problem is that even the "new interactions", such as Tyrion/Daenerys, seemed pretty uninspired, compared to the first 4 seasons, where even non relevant dialogues between secondary characters were interesting.
So, I don't know what happened, writers changed, lost inspiration, or they just decided to do fan service and neglect the dialogues.

I actually felt that was one of the more interesting interactions in the latter series but even there I think Tyrion remain a rather less interesting character than he was earlier.

Much of the first four seasons was I'd say built on characters like him, Jamie and the Hound with significant moral conflict to them were as things progressed it became increasingly characters divided between good and evil.

I would say as well that what the show was trying to achieve shifted too, from the 5th season onwards I think you saw more focus on the more "cinematic" aspects of the show playing up atmosphere and action more heavily. Most of the shows best moments from that point onwards were I'd say along those lines rather than the smaller scale interactions of the earlier seasons.

I think it was always the plan to have the dragon bitch follow in the footsteps of her father and its not a bad route. The show just rushed her heel turn which made it unpalatable.

GRRM has a ton of leeway still in that, Lady Stark is still cunting around half dead. So clearly the show didn’t cover everything he has planned. And he could call an audible after seeing the fan reaction to the show.

season 1 half way through ep 2. i couldnt get through it. it was too slow and boring.

characters like him, Jamie and the Hound with significant moral conflict to them were as things progressed it became increasingly characters divided between good and evil.

Yes, and that's such a shame, moral ambiguity of the characters was very interesting.

Yes, and that's such a shame, moral ambiguity of the characters was very interesting.

I think what made it interesting though was that it had substance, it wasn't just characters like Bronn playing up an edgy persona but rather seeing such people morally tested and come down on one side or the other. Its not something that could go on indefinitely, there did need to be a resolution but a lot of that had happened by the end of season 4

Again I think from season 5 onwards what the show was aiming for tended to shift, less of the "two men in a room" kind of interaction and more building up atmosphere and having larger scale actions scenes. There were plenty of character scenes of course but they didn't tend to be the main focus of the show as they had been previously which I think made things a bit more uneven, some episodes felt more like pieces being moved into place for others.

Those 2 writers were so smugged, but the show turned to shit when they ran out of book materials to plagiarize.

Do you like The Simpsons?

It's pure gold up until season 10

Does that make the start of the show not worth watching

Come on bud

I treat serialized and non serialized content different. I can watch a sitcom rerun because I'm getting the whole story. The Simpsons isn't unpacking a single, sprawling, 40-year epic.

Game of Thrones, Sopranos, Deadwood, are long serials where 16 hours per season tell one story and if you skip one you might be lost. In fact the seasons themselves are just chapters in a larger story. So when you drop 100 hours on 8 seasons to hear that story and it ends in a dumpster fire, I genuinely do think it's a waste of the full 100 hours as opposed to a bad Simpsons story which wastes 24 minutes of your life.

GoT really hit the skids when D&D started rushing it to do Star Wars... And then AFAIK they didn't even do the Star Wars shit.

Back