Television When was your Game of Thrones breaking point?

The amazing era of the show died with Tywin

/thread

I onced uploaded a post on heavy with a 'Rumor' tag in the title, then Mod deleted it because it's was rumor.
<23>
I was like ' Mother fucker why did you have that tag available in the first place?'
LOL

at first the end of s5 i was over it. then s6 gave me hope and ended with two of the best episodes. then s7 was an entertaining if flawed spectacle. then s8 effectively ruined the entire show for me.

Only two scenes made me cringe in the last season. At the end when they joked about democracy and the final mountain-hound fight on the stairwell looking like cheap cgi.

As a viewer since season one who was depressed when briefly canceled. The last season did its purpose that gave RR room to still create his last books. I'd rather the last season feel rushed instead of it grasping for air like Dexter and or The Walking Dead.

When Dan and Dave announced the last two seasons would be shortened because there wasn't enough story to tell when it was evident there was plenty of more story to tell and they just wanted to rush through and be done with it. I enjoyed some of it, sure, but it could have been the GOAT show if they just stuck it out and made two normal seasons.

4 was probably the peak for me, as well. Arya and the Hound's road trip was probably the best part about the show IMO.
The travelling in general was always my fav parts of this show. Tyrion has great travels and travel buddies in this show.

In fairness, the white walkers were a thing from the prologue of the first book all the way through the show. They were the ominous threat that you knew was eventually coming so it seems likely that there would be high hopes. The fact that they ended up “just zombies” is the problem.

I actually enjoyed the show a great deal once I got around to watching it. I was initially in the ‘I’ll wait for the books and then watch the show’ camp until it became clear that George is just cashing in and likely to never finish he books no matter how many times he posts that the next book is right there.
Great post

I thought 8 started out promisingly enough with the first two episodes. Three really turned the corner into bad and there was no looking back.
Both the first two episodes were some of the worst in the show

Especially the second
Cringe worthy dialogue

It was so muddled thematically. Right down to Jaqen giving Arya the head nod and half smile when she says she’s going home, almost implying that she did what he wanted her to do/expected of her all along. The hell? I remember that actor Tom Wlaschiha was asked what that reaction was meant to convey and he was like, “I have no idea.” Pretty funny.

Aryas whole arc didn’t make much sense. She abandons the Faceless Men because she chooses her family over that life- but her return to Winterfell is brief and then she ultimately bails on her family to go globetrotting anyway.
Should have seen it coming
The show became more about fan service
Best example of everything wrong with GOTs second half is Bronns character
Right down to the scene that the shoehorned him in in season 8 when hes like make me master of coin or I kill you

Both the first two episodes were some of the worst in the show

Especially the second
Cringe worthy dialogue

I would have to give a rewatch. 2 definitely had its share of cringe dialogue. But I remember thinking it was better than the back half of the season.

1 I was fine with. But, again, a big part of that might have been the excitement of having the show back.

haven’t rewatched anything from the season since summer of last year.

Should have seen it coming
The show became more about fan service
Best example of everything wrong with GOTs second half is Bronns character
Right down to the scene that the shoehorned him in in season 8 when hes like make me master of coin or I kill you

Very stupid scene. Flynn was fun but no doubt in my mind he should have been taken out in the season 7 episode 4 battle. In fact, given what they ultimately did with Jaime anyway, I would have been fine with Dany/Drogon taking him out on that episode too.

I would have to give a rewatch. 2 definitely had its share of cringe dialogue. But I remember thinking it was better than the back half of the season.

1 I was fine with. But, again, a big part of that might have been the excitement of having the show back.

haven’t rewatched anything from the season since summer of last year.
Oh it was better than the latter half for sure

Very stupid scene. Flynn was fun but no doubt in my mind he should have been taken out in the season 7 episode 4 battle. In fact, given what they ultimately did with Jaime anyway, I would have been fine with Dany/Drogon taking him out on that episode too.
Flynn is so charismatic that I get wanting him in the show for as long as possible
I even get Arya "superwoman" stark since she was my favorite character

Just doesn't make for a good TV show

imo of course

Last edited:
When the books ran out the characters started to make odd decisions.

The writers had things they wanted to happen and they had to change characters motivations and behaviours to bring them about. Rather than before when the events were a result of the characters motivations and behaviours. The show became more predictable as a result, it spoke the language of standard Hollywood.

A perfect example of this was that lame feud between Arya and Sansa in season 7 that set up Littlefinger's death. It was just so contrived and out of left field. I've never written anything and I'm just some jerkoff but I learned somewhere that in a great piece of fiction, the story is driven by the actions/characteristics/motivations of the characters and not vice-versa. We can see that on full display with GOT.

For me season 7 was the breaking point, specifically the aforementioned death of Littlefinger and especially the ridiculous episode where they went north of the Wall to bring back a wight to show Cersei. The plan was retarded from the get-go, them getting stranded on the ice was cringe-worthy, Khaleesi flying up there in 5 minutes was insulting to the audience, and how the hell did they get those chains on the dragon to pull it up? I knew right then that these fuckin guys were lost without the books and that there was no way that the ending wouldn't be garbage.

A perfect example of this was that lame feud between Arya and Sansa in season 7 that set up Littlefinger's death. It was just so contrived and out of left field. I've never written anything and I'm just some jerkoff but I learned somewhere that in a great piece of fiction, the story is driven by the actions/characteristics/motivations of the characters and not vice-versa. We can see that on full display with GOT.

For me season 7 was the breaking point, specifically the aforementioned death of Littlefinger and especially the ridiculous episode where they went north of the Wall to bring back a wight to show Cersei. The plan was retarded from the get-go, them getting stranded on the ice was cringe-worthy, Khaleesi flying up there in 5 minutes was insulting to the audience, and how the hell did they get those chains on the dragon to pull it up? I knew right then that these fuckin guys were lost without the books and that there was no way that the ending wouldn't be garbage.

Aye, acting like the leaders of every faction would team up and head into unknown terror and near certain death rather than send good soldiers to do the dirty work. Like they're super friends or some shit. Man.

I'm watching it all for the first time now, halfway through the last season.

Aye, acting like the leaders of every faction would team up and head into unknown terror and near certain death rather than send good soldiers to do the dirty work. Like they're super friends or some shit. Man.

I'm watching it all for the first time now, halfway through the last season.

notice the quality drop from first 4 seasons

notice the quality drop from first 4 seasons

The first few were great.

I'm not sure exactly when the quality went down, but it became obvious in the last couple!

When Dan and Dave announced the last two seasons would be shortened because there wasn't enough story to tell

Maybe they meant that there wasn't enough story to take from anymore. It's no coincidence that they ran out of ideas, when they ran out of books.

Back