When was the last time you watched UFC 1?

About a month ago.Bill Wallace burped on mic and called it the Ultimate Fighting Challenge during the introduction.The commentating was great and the fights all ended under 5m.Post fight interviews were interesting I liked Ken Shamrock saying "he's not used to that kind of stuff" referencing his loss to Royce.

Watched UFC 1 live on PPV but bought the DVD box set of 1-10 a few years back and enjoyed them all over again. All you newbs should check out Marco Ruas at UFC 7. He was the first guy, IMHO, to be the 1st true MMA athlete. He had the BJJ, the athleticism, the muay thai, and Judo.

I watched it couple months ago .....Royce against sumo wrestler would've been interesting

Royce would've had a tough time if Tuli got on top, holy crap. What if he lost to him and then Pat Smith went on to beat Shamrock? I wonder where MMA would be today? Or perhaps Royce woudlve came back to UFC 2 and won there...

I miss those style vs style days. I could've sworn Wing Chun was going to do better but NOOOOOooooooO!

Last edited:
My first UFC ever was UFC 2 in 2000. Bought it on VHS from a dollar store in Australia. Secretly dropped it into my Grandma's basket when she wasn't looking. I was 14/15.

Finally bought the 1-10 box set DVD. Still unedited. Fuck i love the cheesy 80's music.

Anyway. PAT SMITH'S guard game vs Shamrock!!!
Damn he was ahead of the game for a kickboxer.
Shamrock was just too good with leg locks, if it wasn't for Ken/Royce Pat would have won UFC 1.

This is also really strange. Watch Brian Kilmeade on Fox & Friends act absolutely clueless to the UFC when BJ is on. He was the interviewer!!! So weird.

Lol that lady in the back counting like it was WWE when BJ pinned him down.

I love the sport now, but it had a freakshow element to it in the early days that was truly interesting. You had to be part tough guy and part lunatic to take part back then.

Just rewatched UFC1 after many years. It still holds up. It made me miss the experimental nature of the early days. We really had no idea what would happen. It is nothing short of remarkable that a death hasn't occurred in the UFC since then. Reasonable people at that time could conclude something like that is inevitable over thousands of fights (sort of like boxing).

Totally.

There was a different quality to it when it was new, a sort of thrill to watch that there isn't now. Yeah, fighters are better now, but it really is like a different event that has totally different qualities to it. In a certain way, there will never be that kind of excitement again.

The first 10-15 were really something. Before the sport evolved, you got to see which pure MA wins without cross training, which really turned all of our previous notions sideways.

There was really a wild and wacky way that is missing now; a reckless abandon that was really fun.

Early UFC's were the ultimate entertainment. Noobs that look at them now on video will NEVER understand, and you can see it in their comments. That was really a case of "you had to be there." Also, if you watched it as it happened, you have a much better appreciation and understanding of the sport's evolution and its pioneers.

I'll be the first to admit I've only watched a few fights but not the entire event.

I've seen every single PRIDE event but I haven't seen every single UFC event.

I've seen every UFC event from 79 - present except maybe less than 5.

You're not exactly missing much. Royce is the first - literally the very first - generation champion with mastery of a single discipline. Some of the jabronis in that PPV weren't even good at what they did. It was just a mess from start to finish.

Highlights however include Royce's Gracie train, street wise being a valuable fighting asset and course the immortal line delivered by an absurdly bad announcing team: "Fighting is not what we thought it was."

About a month ago.Bill Wallace burped on mic and called it the Ultimate Fighting Challenge during the introduction.The commentating was great and the fights all ended under 5m.Post fight interviews were interesting I liked Ken Shamrock saying "he's not used to that kind of stuff" referencing his loss to Royce.

is your handle referring to the integrated math program? If so, deep breh

Back