When was the last time a wrestling VS BJJ grappling war was as good as Gillespie Ferreira?

Tsarukyan vs Makhachev

edit: misread title

Last edited:
Broke Fitch v. Prospect Erick Silva was a fun fight. Whatever happened to that kid?

Honestly can't remember the last time a wrestler and BJJ guy were so well matched in a fight and both went right at each other in the grappling. CDF did really well to play such a dynamic style and keep coming out on top from sweeps and scrambles. It would have been a good idea for him to try to slow things down a bit more when he did manage to get top position, but Gregor made that really difficult. Just a great fight and awesome matchmaking.

Karo vs Diego is still one of the best.

It was pretty cool that there were good wrestlers (GSP, Hughes, Koscheck, Fitch, Diego, Sherk), judoka (Karo) and BJJ guys (BJ, Nick Diaz, etc.) in that era for WW and LW--some good grappling wars.

Dude in your AV is about to get starched by a FW for the 2nd time <Lmaoo>

So instead of addressing my comment (because you can't because you are clueless about MMA)

You change the subject? Hmmm noted

Prolly the best grappling bout of the year and one of the best wrestling VS BJJ fights ever. Folkstyle wrestling against the slick scrambling and transitions of BJJ. Bunch of momentum shifts and a wild ride throughout
I can watch fights like that all day -- it was such a marvel. Folkstyle wrestling in MMA is always neat to watch. Phil Davis VS Glover was another one that I enjoyed, but a bit one sided.

Gillespie won big last night. Lots of visibility, took the fight against a guy with a 17-3 record that came in waaaaay over weight. Faced adversity and finished him

That's the way to come back and erase a loss.

Against a guy that gave Dariush everything he could handle, finished Pettis and out hustled Kabilov.
Exactly -- stylistically, Ferreira was a tall order to take and a guy that I would imagine not many people would wanna face. Gillespie took the fight to him and just willfully and relentlessly imposed his wrestling and broke a tough as nails dude in Ferreira -- great performance by both men in my opinion.

It’s ooooold- so not sure how good it is in retrospect cuz I saw it in person and not after on tape, but Bushiso: Azaredo vs Fermino? I remember thinking that was insane grappling and just all around chaos.
But I thought Gregor was a bust when he got up at the end of round one. I figured that was it- he was probably on his way out of the UFC with this loss. And he was getting tagged on the feet. Which kinda speaks to him not reaching the top, but he definitely showed heart and grit to come back from that drubbing in round one.

Your perception is way off. He would not of got cut if he losg. Round 1 wasnt a drubbing at all. It was very competitive until Gregor ended up in a bad position as the end, but only for like 10 seconds.

Muboz and Maia had some decent scrambles but Munoz played the clock management game better than Funky...and still arguably lost.

Maia is the best mma grappler ever.

Your perception is way off. He would not of got cut if he losg. Round 1 wasnt a drubbing at all. It was very competitive until Gregor ended up in a bad position as the end, but only for like 10 seconds.
Yes, drubbing wasn't the right word- but it wasn't competitive on the feet. He got stunned a couple times and then ended up on bottom getting worked at the end of the round- and coupled with his return to his corner, he looked done. Hell of a turn around he made.

Brock vs Mir II

bork1}

BOO!!
boo-this-man.gif

Back