When was Dan Hendersons peak as a fighter? And who wins Pride Hendo v UFC Hendo?

ethanfranklin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is going to go one of two ways, and im hoping for the enlightened one.

mma_ufc139_14_800.jpg

OK this could get ugly, but who wins out of Pride Hendo and UFC Hendo?

Vitor-Belfort-vs-Dan-Henderson-Pride-32w1.jpg

Has the dude actually got stronger, or is his technique just sharper now?

He beat a lot of good guys in Pride and a lot of good guys for Zuffa.

WanderleiSilvaVs0108.jpg

And yes i know he takes TRT, but does that really make him a better fighter at 40 than he was in his early 30s?

His one punch attack has gotten sharper and seemingly more powerful, whereas he was known for a long time as a decision monster.

SilvaHenderson1-EvilMaster.jpg

There are two Hendos in my mind. Which one is the most deadly?

Henderson-Shogun-0173-UFC-139.jpg

The one that beat Wandy for the title or the one that beat Shogun 4 years later?

My belief is that every fighter has one fight where they clearly peak, and if they're a great fighter, then they look almost unbeatable that particular night.

For me, the best version of Hendo that ever existed was for the Wanderlei rematch. That was the night he peaked. He was still using his wrestling in that one, he got several takedowns, had effective ground-and-pound working, and even showcased a varied stand-up attack, nailing Wanderlei with a spinning backfist and setting up the KO with a huge left hook. He also showcased his chin and recovery ability early in the fight, as Wanderlei had him hurt late in the first round, and Dan came back nicely.

This version of Hendo beats the later H-Bombs only version by decision, since he was more versatile offensively, had the same chin and power, and better stamina.

The hendo that lost to Rampage was probably the best version I've seen--that was probably the best version of Rampage as well.

Since then his cardio has suffered.

This is a hard one to answer, hendo is such a warrior I don't know which form is best I'm gunna say he's like a fine wine tho... Couple of close split decisions losses (that could have gone to himas wins easily) mean little to me

I feel like the Hendo who beat Shogun is more dangerous while the Hendo who beat Wand was harder to beat.

My belief is that every fighter has one fight where they clearly peak, and if they're a great fighter, then they look almost unbeatable that particular night.

For me, the best version of Hendo that ever existed was for the Wanderlei rematch. That was the night he peaked. He was still using his wrestling in that one, he got several takedowns, had effective ground-and-pound working, and even showcased a varied stand-up attack, nailing Wanderlei with a spinning backfist and setting up the KO with a huge left hook. He also showcased his chin and recovery ability early in the fight, as Wanderlei had him hurt late in the first round, and Dan came back nicely.

This version of Hendo beats the later H-Bombs only version by decision, since he was more versatile offensively, had the same chin and power, and better stamina.

Wanderlei has a serious case of the flu or something in that fight, not a very good fight to judge him by imo.

My answer is pretty similar to this one. Hendo went the same direction Rampage did technique wise in the UFC. The whole one-dimensional striker "one punch KO or nothing" strategy nearly every match, forgetting his bread n butter was his wrestling ability. The hardcore fans remember how Hollywood looked in PRIDE vs the last few years.

I miss the more complete, old Hendo, not the guy against Misaki and pretty much all we see lately.

Wanderlei has a serious case of the flu or something in that fight, not a very good fight to judge him by imo.

Oh the flu bug, I have heard Liddell fans use that same excuse.

Hendo was already past his prime in the Fedor fight.

Pride Hendo had a gameplan and cardio.

UFC Hendo has no cardio and a club.

Pride Hendo

Agree all the way. And why leave out the fight with Fedor Emelianenko? He beat a guy who was bigger and younger and still thought of as one of the elite HWs in the world. He took some big shots, came back with some of his own, and scored the KO. Hendo should be on the MMA Mount Rushmore.

UFC Hendo would beat him, but Pride Hendo would get the decision.

In terms of wins, I think 2007 - 2011 were his best years (basically UFC/Strikeforce Hendo, minus the Shields fight).

Back