Economy When US and Europe will know that they are officially fkd?

It hasn’t even been a week and you are taking end of the world. Fucking hilarious. WWII was 100 times worse than this and it went on for years.

Years ago I read a book with the premise that people were able to buy into a socialized utopia with one caveat; to agree to euthanasia once they hit 65 years of age.

Having a predetermined expiry date is an interesting idea, but, damn, I still have old family members so am not as cold about this as I once was.
Logan’s Run

Three years away if things continue as they are currently. You couldve asked how far we are from Minority Report as well. Same answer but I think that one is inevitable if no other disasters topple the US in the meantime.

I'm already starting to see things on shelves that havent been in stock for the last few weeks (pasta, rice, meats), Paper products are still empty but if the stores had put restrictions on the hoarding earlier on I'd imagine the shelves wouldnt be empty, and we'd have much less panic buying.

People are buying shit they dont even need because they are scared it's going to be empty when they might actually need it... so why not buy another couple?

Not going to happen, remember, the powers that be are riding in the same plane as us..It’s in their best interest to not allow that to happen..Money solves everything, calms everyone, and if push comes to shove, they will just print some more..
Insert Weimar Republic

At least Americans have 2nd amendment. The of us are sitting ducks just waiting to be enslaved by lord humungus

Pretty sure Mad Max and The Road are based on catastrophic ecological disasters caused by nuclear war. Not so sure in The Road but something that alters the environment and causes a mass extinction on the planet.

Pandemics have happened many times in human history. This mostly kills just old people and not even prime working age adults like 1918 influenza did. Society did not fall apart in 1918, and we are a lot better at thinking our way out of problems than we were back then. I think it would take a lot more.

No, he's right, Things is an awful film.

MV5BMTQ5Mjk5NTIyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY0MTc5NQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR110,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg
Looks like my kind of movie, tbh.

It hasn’t even been a week and you are taking end of the world. Fucking hilarious. WWII was 100 times worse than this and it went on for years.
World war two isn't even close. It make America exceeding rich for starters. World war two is what actually saved the world from the great depression.

Pretty sure Mad Max and The Road are based on catastrophic ecological disasters caused by nuclear war. Not so sure in The Road but something that alters the environment and causes a mass extinction on the planet.

Pandemics have happened many times in human history. This mostly kills just old people and not even prime working age adults like 1918 influenza did. Society did not fall apart in 1918, and we are a lot better at thinking our way out of problems than we were back then. I think it would take a lot more.
Society wasn't completely reliant on global trade back then...

Doesn't anybody find it remotely ironic that we will have internet connection but no food soon? We will all get to share our horrible fates on social media, how wonderful.

the first signs will be mass unemployment.

many will lose their jobs, exhaust their unemployment, savings, credit cards etc.

panic will eventually settle in...and people will start to get angry...and desperate. Desperate people will start to do desperate things....like breaking into peoples home, breaking into grocery stores etc.

compound all of this with government funding drying up...without the means to pay their law enforcement and first responders...those folks will quit their jobs and go home to defend their families and such.

this is when shit will really get bad

This^^^ is my 'most likely terrible scenario'/biggest fear.

Desperate people with nothing will roam in mobs looking for someone to blame. This is the scenario that best justifies having food, water, fuel, and guns at home because you do not want to be outside if we spiral into that type of chaos.

Society wasn't completely reliant on global trade back then...

I'm sure this will put plenty of downward pressure on global trade, but seems farfetched to think it would halt it to the point where governments fall and anarchy reigns. It's not like China has stopped exporting stuff during their lockdown.

I'm sure this will put plenty of downward pressure on global trade, but seems farfetched to think it would halt it to the point where governments fall and anarchy reigns. It's not like China has stopped exporting stuff during their lockdown.
They are stopping a lot of food production in Australia because there is no foreign market. I have a friend that has stopped fishing and was talking to another person that was laid off today.
Don't trust the politicians, they are lying there arses off and are panicking about losing all their lovely money.

Going to have to be like the Spanish Flu and mutate to kill people in their 20's and 30's. Without mutating, worst case scenario is we go back to normal and a lot of old and sick people die.

Two things that I find absurd from this ^^^ line of thinking that I see from many people (on sherdog, and in regular life).

1. Death, is not the only terrible outcome. There are many reports out of China that younger people that recover have permanent lung fibrosis. That is a terrifying premise. Imagine reducing your lung capacity by 40% and feeling like a 300 lb guy is sitting on your chest when you breath, for the rest of your life. Considering how many young people vape in the US, coupled with the nicotine - ACE2 link in facilitating infection. I wouldn't look at current demographics of death or permanent lung injury as an indicator of future numbers.

2. The average age of 82 for death is a bit skewed because the #1 country for deaths (currently) isn't treating anyone over 81. Secondly, diabetes, obesity, CVD and hypertension, are the leading comorbidities for COVID-19 deaths. This thing is just kicking off in the US where a shit-tonne of younger people (<40) are fat fucks with hypertension and pre-diabetes.

Lastly, I have no faith in people in the US seriously adopting social distancing, and controlling the spread of COVID-19.

They are stopping a lot of food production in Australia because there is no foreign market. I have a friend that has stopped fishing and was talking to another person that was laid off today.
Don't trust the politicians, they are lying there arses off and are panicking about losing all their lovely money.

You have to believe that demand will still determine supply and the free market will continue to function. Enough people will still have in incentive to go to work and be productive, to invest their money in doing business. Perhaps if we go into a prolonged depression and it causes great global conflict in the future, sort of like how The Great Depression helped set the stage for WWII. Possible I guess.

jesus...that some of you are still going on about bats and rats is a sad prospect....

Not going to happen, remember, the powers that be are riding in the same plane as us..It’s in their best interest to not allow that to happen..Money solves everything, calms everyone, and if push comes to shove, they will just print some more..
you really think that the "powers that be" ride in the same airplane as you??? cmon man lol

I don’t know if it will. There’s still ample food, water, utilities are still running, local and state governments are managing population movement, blocking evictions, etc.. You’ll see bad peak unemployment, but every worst case scenario for this thing has a definite end date.

Better leadership would certainly help reduce these kinds of fears, but that kind of leadership doesn’t really exist yet. It will quickly develop though.
what happens when theres not ample food? does the US produce enough food locally to feed 330million people? what happens if a day comes soon that there are no ships rolling in with imported foods?

The age distribution for deaths is *heavily* skewed towards the elderly. What's the economic effect of huge numbers of old people dying?
whats the economic effect of shutting down the world markets for a couple of months?

There are reports coming out that it's getting younger people too.

The more I think about this and the drastic measures being taken to combat it, leads me to believe we're being kept from some more alarming statistics as to not cause an all out panic. Countries don't shut their borders down, start implementing quarantine orders and destroy the economy just to protect the elderly population. I'm starting to think there's a lot more to this shit than we know.
this....it feels more and more like this is just the start to a long term something than it does that we're coming out the end of a situation

Back