When u think about the first round of Cain vs JDS...

JoseAldoKillaBe

Black Belt
Reaction score
... do u want to bring back soccer kicks to prevent the wrestler from simply throwing himself at the opponent's leg all the time ? I kinda do....

Junior lost fair and square, i'm not trying to make any excuses, please don't go there !

It is just that Cain wouldn't fight like that if he could get kicked on the floor, and i'm tired of these "unified rules" that helps wrestlers and fence grinders so much....

Junior would also of been able to stop the takedowns anderson style by grabbing the shorts

junior's problem was that he got punched hard in the face.

JDS lost fair and square he prepared himself poorly and cain prepared himself smartly
I agree he should have taken advantage of cain being on the ground more early on after missed takedowns but the existing rules allowed him to do this if he wanted without needing kicks or stomps ...he simply had no offensive gameplan so allowed cain to safely get right back up.

Well, Cain would have been able to stomp Junior in the face...

I found it funny how Cain actually had some really poor TD attempts on the first round, he looked a bit desperate in the beginning. And JDS was stepping out of these TDs so easily I thought he was going to destroy Cain, I think he should have tried to attack when Cain was on the ground on his knees, try to get top position, dive for a punch or at least kick Cain's legs

I found it funny how Cain actually had some really poor TD attempts on the first round, he looked a bit desperate in the beginning. And JDS was stepping out of these TDs so easily I thought he was going to destroy Cain, I think he should have tried to attack when Cain was on the ground on his knees, try to get top position, dive for a punch or at least kick Cain's legs

All of this

After the first few takedown attempts by Cain, seems like JDS's gas tank was significantly drained, God knows how he lasted the 5 rounds.

Cain was in beast mode the whole fight through and made Junior look like an amateur.

Cain showed a work rate never before seen in the HW division, junior gassed in the 1st trying to keep pace.

Agree with everything.. And i thought the same thing in the beginning, i was like "oh shit, JDS is gonna kill Cain with these fail TDs"... turns out Cain almost killed JDS.

If soccer kicks and stomps were allowed, JDS would be dead now

... do u want to bring back soccer kicks to prevent the wrestler from simply throwing himself at the opponent's leg all the time ? I kinda do....

Junior lost fair and square, i'm not trying to make any excuses, please don't go there !

It is just that Cain wouldn't fight like that if he could get kicked on the floor, and i'm tired of these "unified rules" that helps wrestlers and fence grinders so much....

Yeah... pretty sure Junior would have been finished if soccer kicks were allowed... dude spent a lot of time on his hands and knees.

The first couple of minutes of the first round it almost looked like JDS was toying with him.

junior's problem was that he got punched hard in the face.

THANK YOU! Before that big right hand ruined his year(especially the 20 minutes following) JDS was shirking off takedowns using little to no effort, and Cain was visibly fatigued from shooting in round 1.

Then BOOM! Big right hand, JDS is out on his feet for the next 3 rounds. Cain is too tired to finish him, but JDS is a zombie until partway through round 4 and therefore takedowns become academic, even in Cain's slowed, winded state.

Cain won, and he brutalized JDS, but it did not fucking happen the way everyone is saying it did. Cain's wrestling was useless before he brained Dos Santos, and the cardio that everyone was extolling was NOT there, he just had more about him than his crippled opponent.

I was disappointed in both of their performances. But for the effects of one stiff punch, Cain would have been kept at arms length, being picked apart the whole night while he telegraphed his sloppy shots from WAAAAY too far out. You can't count on landing a blow that will enable you to daze your opponent for the bulk of a 5 round fight, that's like counting on luck.

And JDS! At some point the dude needs to realize the bare knuckle boxing stance should be left to Rickson, and that he needs to stop leading with his chin. He is insanely tough, but man, you really don't want "durable" coming up in your positive traits, you know?

They are the top 2 in the division by a damn sight, but their performance in that last fight leads me to believe firmly that Struve, Hunt, Nelson and Barry all could have KOed either of them that night.

After the first few takedown attempts by Cain, seems like JDS's gas tank was significantly drained, God knows how he lasted the 5 rounds.

Cain was in beast mode the whole fight through and made Junior look like an amateur.

Cain showed a work rate never before seen in the HW division, junior gassed in the 1st trying to keep pace.

All you're doing is repeating the BS Joe Rogan was saying at the time. Cain was the one winded by the takedown attempts, JDS didn't show a sign of fatiguing until he got hurt, and hurt fatigue isn't real fatigue anyway, it's just being hurt. Cain was winded from the end of the first all the way through the 5th, but he wasn't hurt. He had the heart to fight through his fatigue and luckily his opponent was in a lot worse shape at the time. It's not something to count on in the future and I hope Velasquez knows it.

I can't believe there are people in this thread that think Cain wasn't super gassed. The two of them came out flying in the first round. But Cain was so tired he couldn't put away a zombie-JDS in 25 minutes.

It may have helped for JDS to punish Cain more on those takedowns. But Cain was phenomenal at controlling where that fight went. JDS likes to back straight up and doesn't move sideways often, so Cain bullied him.

I would love to see the rubber match, but not yet. They were both beat by the other guys game. JDS with a 1st round KO, and Cain with a grinded out decision. It'll be neat to see how Overeem would deal with Cain, seeing as how he notoriously doesn't have much of a gas tank.

In a way yes.

Cain was literally throwing himself at Junior's legs to get a take down. There isn't much of a proper defense for that aside from pull out and away.

Where JDS failed in this fight in in two significant ways. He failed to capitalize on punishing Cain for being on the ground and just let him stand back up without threatening anything. He also failed to keeps his hands up to protect himself from strikes.

JDS lost the fight because of poor striking defense and clearly not having any clue what to do with a guy that is pressuring with constant sprawls. He will learn from his mistakes and hopefully bounce back.

Soccer kicks would certainly keep guys like Cain from shooting for take downs relentlessly like that however JDS could have punched Cain in the head too and kept his hands up while standing.

Back