when to take whey

Pure Evil

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When do you take ur post-workout whey...immediately after ur workout or maybe an hour or so after (after ingesting some carbs first)?

Most of what I've read suggests you take it right after working out, but i've been talking to some nutritionists who have said that you need carbs first or the protein is used up very quickly and wasted.

anybody know what makes more sense?

"protein is used up very quickly and wasted."

Neocon nutritionists, ugh.

An hour is too long, I take it immediately, or sometimes wait 10 minutes.

Take it immediately WITH carbs, like dextrose or maltodextrin. I think a 2:1 carbs to protein ratio is recommended for post workout.

Take it immediately WITH carbs, like dextrose or maltodextrin. I think a 2:1 carbs to protein ratio is recommended for post workout.

What this guy said.

I've been doing that for over three months now and it REALLY helps with muscle soreness.

If you're drinking the protein in a smoothie along with fruit/fruit juice/yogurt/whatever, would the carbs in the smoothie count, as they're being ingested WITH the protein?

I take it exactly 7 minutes and 54 seconds after I finish training.

No more, no less

"protein is used up very quickly and wasted."

Neocon nutritionists, ugh.

An hour is too long, I take it immediately, or sometimes wait 10 minutes.

Yes..if it is Whey Protein.

Casein Protein however is used up at a much slower rate and is best consumed before bedtime.

If you want optimum results, they recommend using both Casein and Whey.

Yes..if it is Whey Protein.

Casein Protein however is used up at a much slower rate and is best consumed before bedtime.

If you want optimum results, they recommend using both Casein and Whey.

Milk protein Concentrate has both (usually 1/3 whey, 2/3 casein, but it depends on the blend)

Exactly. Those carbs create a spike in insulin which helps the uptake of protein!

Milk protein Concentrate has both (usually 1/3 whey, 2/3 casein, but it depends on the blend)

I take MPI before I go to bed. I should probably just take casein but MPI is much cheaper by comparison. It's about $7.50/lb. at True Protein.

I take MPI before I go to bed. I should probably just take casein but MPI is much cheaper by comparison. It's about $7.50/lb. at True Protein.

I take MPC because of the same reason

Plus Concentrate is cheaper then Isolate

myprotein.co.uk

I'm uk based so shipping charges from trueprotein for supplements doesn't often warrent getting stuff from the us

even with muscular failure i sometimes feel like my muscles havent been worked out hard enough,.........I do three sets on each muscle group........any suggestions? ANY?????

even with muscular failure i sometimes feel like my muscles havent been worked out hard enough,.........I do three sets on each muscle group........any suggestions? ANY?????

Start a new thread in the right fucking forum.

Pure Evil said:
When do you take ur post-workout whey...immediately after ur workout or maybe an hour or so after (after ingesting some carbs first)?

Most of what I've read suggests you take it right after working out, but i've been talking to some nutritionists who have said that you need carbs first or the protein is used up very quickly and wasted.

anybody know what makes more sense?

Like others have said, your PWO shake should be the first thing consumed after training. As a general rule, it should contain 0.8g/kg carbs and 0.4g/kg protein; you need to replenish glycogen stores (carbs), and the protein for muscular repair. Since your insulin sensitivity is enhanced from training, it's an optimal time to utilize high GI carbs like dextrose and maltodextrin.

So the answer is use both carbs and protein at the same time right after training.

usually I lift for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes and then do about 30 mins of cardio.

Then it takes me 15 minutes to drive home and 5 more to make the shake.

Is this too late to take the whey?

usually I lift for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes and then do about 30 mins of cardio.

Hell no.

I've heard that you should take your protein and carbs immediatley. That being said, I'm not a nutritionist. Conversely, you have to remember that nutritionists are giving you advice for eating healthily and maintaining a relatively low weight. For someone who is trying to build muscle, which I'm assuming you are if you are worried about whey, you probably ought to speak to a personal trainer, not a nutritionist, about such questions.

Yes it is. Bring your shake to the gym. Take a 15 minute break in between lifting and cardio and drink your shake. A good shake to have in that situation is powdered gatorade and whey protein. If you wait 50 minutes to have your PWO shake, and are doing cardio in that time, you muscles are not getting the quick protein and carbs they need to start repairing properly.

Yes it is. Bring your shake to the gym. Take a 15 minute break in between lifting and cardio and drink your shake. A good shake to have in that situation is powdered gatorade and whey protein. If you wait 50 minutes to have your PWO shake, and are doing cardio in that time, you muscles are not getting the quick protein and carbs they need to start repairing properly.
Why in the world would it be "too late"? Something is better than nothing. That's ignoring the fact that more many people, taking a shake right before cardio will result in an upset stomach.

That aside, gatorade, which contains fructose, would not the scientifically ideal shake for that situation. The GI of dextrose/maltodextrain is higher than fructose.

In actuality, the best case scenario of them all would be to be sipping a whey/malto drink with about 20-30 mins remaining in your workout, and continue through the duration. I've tried this last method before, as a bodybuilder, and I saw little difference if any, to justify the inconvenience and taste in my mouth during training.

Back