1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

When to start training non-traditional technique?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Omgplata, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Omgplata

Omgplata White Belt

I've been watching alot of videos lately, and I'm seeing techniques like cyborg's Tornado Guard and other less-common techniques.

Now the question is, while they seem to be very effective, I can also attribute their effectiveness to the fact that he's a black belt and anything he does is going to look more effective than my current game as a white belt.

The advantage of techniques like that I think are that people aren't as used to them and don't see them as often, so when it's used against them, the reaction isn't as automated as a triangle from guard would be.

I've been tossing around the idea of starting to drill seemingly very effective, yet unorthodox technique alongside my basics, but at the same time, I wonder if that time should just be spent on the simple basics on their own in a more traditional manner.

Opinions?

2. KJGould

KJGould Silver Belt

Whatever the art, fundamentals and concepts first and always. Buildings need a strong foundation and other such metaphors.

3. Broski

Broski White Belt

As Cyborg said in his instructional, he started doing Tornado Guard as a blue belt without really knowing what he was doing. So it seems to me that if you're sufficiently experienced in grappling and generally know what's going on when you roll, then do what ever techniques you want to get better at when you roll.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I'd say start dabbling in those exotic techniques a little at blue belt level but don't spend too much time on them or your basics will never get good enough to get you to purple belt level. A lot of blue belts spend too much time trying to learn fancy new techniques when they should be focusing on learning to chain the basic techniques together.

5. tommy the kid

tommy the kid Yellow Belt

you should learn proper grammar and syntax before you try to work words like antidisestablishmentarianism into your day to day conversations

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  6. FREAK656

FREAK656 Yellow Belt

*Post self edited for stupidity.*

7. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

I don't think it is a bad ideal to incorporate some more unorthodox techniques like tornado guard or inverted de la hiva into your game so long as it is done in moderation. Don't spend a majority of your time on these techniques and don't work on more than one at a time until you get a decent feel for it.

8. FREAK656

FREAK656 Yellow Belt

+1.

9. tommy the kid

tommy the kid Yellow Belt

what?

10. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

I think you misinterpreted his post. He just meant "learn the basics first before you get all fancy."

11. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Re-read his post and maybe think about editing this one. You are the one coming off like a "dickweed".

12. FREAK656

FREAK656 Yellow Belt

Wait a minute...Why would he say that if there were no...and TS didn't even say...

Well...Shit...My bad

(Hmm...maybe there's a way to fix it so it seems like I was agreeing with tommy.)
    [​IMG]
    ...Nope