1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

When to start increasing training to peak for a fight

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Itch53, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Itch53

Itch53 White Belt

Hey,

Sorry I've tried searching for this but between being a tard and the search function not being great didn't have any luck.

Basically my question is how far out from a fight should you start increasing the intensity of your cardio/training to peak for a fight? Does it vary depending on the round structure also?

More specifically for an amateur fight in September, there are two fights on the same day, both 1 round, 5 minutes long (European amateur fights seem to be different than US).

My current regime looks something like:

Monday - 3 - 5 mile run. Bodyweight routine consisting of Pushups, squats and various static core exercises (plank, V-Shape hold etc.)

Tuesday - BJJ and 3 mile run

Wednesday - 3 mile run with occasional stops for the dog to do what dogs do

Thursday - BJJ/MMA

Friday - Same as Monday

Saturday - Weights based session, usually something along the lines of the Randy Couture Circuit

Sunday - Rest/Walk

My current fitness level isn't bad with that routine, I quite comfortably manage the training sessions, I'm just looking to supplement the routine so I can push the pace and hopefully combat some of the adrenalin dump. I was thinking some sprints on the run days, throwing in Burpees on the bodyweight circuits, but after that I'm a bit lost.

Just a note on only having 2 Technique days, they're 2 1/2 - 3 hour sessions to there is quite a lot covered, but also amateur MMA here doesn't allow head strikes so it's basically a grappling match with body shots, therefore I'm not training to not get knocked out. Also I will be entering at the beginner level just to try a competition and see how I'm matching up.

Appreciate any help/advice you can give. If you need any other info let me know.

Thanks,

Stephen

2. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

A strength training program like the 2 day split in the FAQ's would probably be very beneficial to you.

3. El Beebo

El Beebo Blue Belt

This is kind of a complicated question, and I think a lot of trainers have different strategies about how to effectively peak for fights. I think that you're on the right tracks with sprints--you could also maybe do intervals (like fartleks) on a couple of your runs per week or burpees before, during, or after the run (or even instead of the run, if your shins need a break).

Regarding your progress, some people advocate a hard week (farther than normal running distance on some days, longer duration, higher intensity) followed by an easy week (less than normal running distances, less duration, lower intensity), followed by an even harder week than the first "hard" week, followed by an easy week, etc.

I've also seen plans that are based on 4-week cycles, where for 3 weeks your distances, durations, and intensity gradually increase week-by-week, followed by an active recovery or easy week. Then the first week of the second month you start, for example, at the level of the second week of the previous month. Does that make sense? I think a lot of pros will use a gradual increase like that for 8-12 weeks, even, followed by a recovery/rest week before the fight. Obviously, the longer you go without a rest week, the more you risk burnout/injury/overtraining, etc.

I just thought I'd throw out some ideas. Hope this helps!

4. Itch53

Itch53 White Belt

Thanks for the replies :)

Origins - I don't really have time at the moment to work in something like a two day split due to work commitments, the runs are literally thrown in between shifts. But if it eases off a bit I'll definitely look into that program.

El Beebo - Thanks a lot for that reply! That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I was concerned about peaking at the wrong time and just being tired by the time competition rolls around, but that strategy seems very sound. Thank you!

5. Gary Peters

Gary Peters Purple Belt Professional Fighter

You are planning to fight with 2 days of actual training per week?