When to say when?

Stmarkus

White Belt
Reaction score
Only been training about a month now, and as I'm starting to learn to protect myself a little better, by not leaving my arms out, and by defending my neck, obviously I still get caught.
My question is, when I do, how much should I try and resist say an armlock, by trying to pull free, or try and posture up and put pressure on him, in short, how much should
I "fight back" as I don't want to "spazz" and cause injury to my partner or myself?
Also I'm trying to learn to relax a little more, just that the concept of "rolling" seems to trigger some old memories of fighting when I was younger, either in school or on the street. Don't know if anyone has experienced this as well. All your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

You can use as much strength as you'd like to try and escape submissions. I think spazzing is more of a reference to swinging elbows, knees, head, and shoulders. Just use your strength but not in a wild explosive manner when not necessary.

I experienced my 1st spaz white belt moment on Monday,
an elbow came accross my face and smacked me right on the top lip
split the inside of my lip open and gave me a sore nose

guy apologised and we moved onto knee ride.. he said don't worry about hurting me I just elbowed you in the face haha

also on my 2nd or 3rd day i got a foot to the head by another white belt as he went to swap sides or somthing

all in good fun

You can resist an armlock as much as you want, just don't start flailing your arm and legs around kicking and screaming.

Some folks can slap on armlocks really fast and hurt you if you try to fight it. I'd say it's better to tap a lot early on until you get a feel for when they are coming.

Chokes are different. You can fight them as much as you like (within reason of course). Worst that happens is you take a nap. You'll still be training the next day :) A joint injury is a different story.

You can resist an armlock as much as you want, just don't start flailing your arm and legs around kicking and screaming.

ding ding, and also, don't try to pick someone up if they have you in a triangle, they're just gonna hook your leg (hopefully) and you're going to have a sore neck from trying to support someone hanging off of it.

What I consider spazzy is someone who will try to rage their way out of a deep submission without much effort to try and avoid it in the first place (inexperience recognizing it or otherwise) Don't get into debt and then try to work it all off in a week...

Back