When to go pro

i'm just curious how long it normally takes after 'going pro' before you can afford to drop your 'day job' lol
Never, unless you're the top 10%

Avg starting pay of $600-1000 per fight. 3-5x a year. Local hero gets better down the line I guess, clearing $2-5k; and that's actually pushing it. Still worse than a 16 year old working part time at McDonalds or Starbucks

Last edited:
i'm just curious how long it normally takes after 'going pro' before you can afford to drop your 'day job' lol

Going pro doesn't mean it is your job. It just means you get paid to fight. Barely anyone can get sponsorship to be a full time fighter. Or make enough money from fights to pay rent.
Unless you get lucky with a title shot, or a warm up fight for a big name on the comeback trail you had best be top 15 material or you'll just be another shattered dream telling everyone about how he could have made it.

Going pro doesn't mean it is your job. It just means you get paid to fight. Barely anyone can get sponsorship to be a full time fighter. Or make enough money from fights to pay rent.
Unless you get lucky with a title shot, or a warm up fight for a big name on the comeback trail you had best be top 15 material or you'll just be another shattered dream telling everyone about how he could have made it.

So technically when my grandmother gave me 10 rubles and told me to go fight the boy who was teasing my cousin, i became a pro fighter?

Mods i want the pro fighter tag

u arnt making money as a pro until big shows thats why you wana teach as well making sure you are as technical as you can be

Not much, MT probably being the lowest paid of all. The amount of dedication and time commitment leaves little to no time for work. Most are supported in some way or are basically homeless nomads living in gyms. 40 hours a week and actively competing isn't impossible, but close to it. I did it but it wasn't easy

Not much, MT probably being the lowest paid of all. The amount of dedication and time commitment leaves little to no time for work. Most are supported in some way or are basically homeless nomads living in gyms. 40 hours a week and actively competing isn't impossible, but close to it. I did it but it wasn't easy
I remember you told me about this before. Seasonal or part time work while doing MT stuff and coaching centered around your fights

I remember you told me about this before. Seasonal or part time work while doing MT stuff and coaching centered around your fights

yeah, full time work makes it very hard. Part time I think is much more easier for someone to do, or seasonal. At the end of the day, you gotta find a way to have the free time to put in the work.

I work with a good number of pros and only one who didn’t have a day job. His wife made a ton of cash so he could train to his hearts content
Lol. House husband?

Dude must have a great dick game to keep that one pinned down

How many fights?
It depends, for MMA it might be even first fight in some small event etc.
Then these guys already had exp and some credentials in another sport.
-
KB and boxe, depends from location and plenty of other variables.
-
If as A side guy, 1. does someone backup you 2. how many tickets you and Co can sell 3. previous bacground, how well known you are in this area 4. maybe you are known in this city/ area for other reasons not combat sport and are able to get enough attention cos this?
------
For a living as main source, more often pros main earning is another job, income....... might be relared to sport ofc.
Usually one initially is in smaller promotions, shows, only with experience might get to be evalued for larger events etc.
There of course are different kind of pro prospects and some from these might get nice sign up bonuses and a lot of perks + investment into them.

well then maybe we shouldn't call them professionals...because the definition of professional is for it to be your main paid occupation rather than a pastime.

for example despite the deal i had worked out with my former head instructor when i was running my dojo's MMA team that allowed for me to get paid, i was not a professional MMA coach or a professional instructor.

well then maybe we shouldn't call them professionals...because the definition of professional is for it to be your main paid occupation rather than a pastime.

for example despite the deal i had worked out with my former head instructor when i was running my dojo's MMA team that allowed for me to get paid, i was not a professional MMA coach or a professional instructor.

I don't make the rules about who's a professional and who's not. I got paid to fight many times. I'm not a professional.

I'm just salty I can't get a purple name.

I don't make the rules about who's a professional and who's not. I got paid to fight many times. I'm not a professional.

I'm just salty I can't get a purple name.
ya i'm just saying, like football and other sports have semi-pro leagues for the level of pay that most fighters get, maybe we should call them semi-pro...

honestly i'd probably just stay an amateur until i got discovered by a real promotion.

Back