When They Came To Fight (Pete Williams vs Mark Coleman)

Glove

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Match: Pete Williams (7-1) vs Mark Coleman (6-1)
Event: UFC 17 (7-27-1997)

Baby faced Pete Williams was up against the former UFC Heavyweight champion, Mark Coleman and the odds were not in his favor. Williams fighting out of the famed Lion's Den led by Ken Shamrock, while Coleman was fighting out of Hammer House. Coleman had won his first 6 UFC matches, beating some of the very best at the time in Don Frye, Dan Severn and Brian Johnston, before losing a tough match against Maurice Smith at UFC 14 (an upset at the time). Williams had fought in previous organizations before entering the UFC. Known for his submissions, he was also a decent striker. This was also Pete William's debut in the UFC.

Coleman however was a powerful wrestler, considered the "godfather" of ground and pound, Coleman had control for the most part in the 12 minute first round, Williams used his jabs and height to thwart off Coleman's shoots, but Coleman was too powerful. However in the second round, Coleman was tiring, Williams was behind on points.....the pressure between both men to win saw one of the most iconic finishes in MMA history.

Edit: Thank you @Bullitt68 for the corrections.

Last edited:
This fight ended allowing fighters to kick with shoes on

This fight ended allowing fighters to kick with shoes on
Could you kick with shoes in pride? I thought yes 100% (up until around pride 27/28 or so at least) but now I'm not certain if UFC banned it so early.

They dont come to fight now?

Pretty sure head kick ko's still exist bud.

Could you kick with shoes in pride? I thought yes 100% (up until around pride 27/28 or so at least) but now I'm not certain if UFC banned it so early.
It was always legal in PRIDE
And yes it was legal to kick with them it doesnt make a difference really. Wrestlers use them for traction. make it hard to escape leglocks tho.

Man I never saw the full finish on that fight before, that was amazing.

Even more amazing is Bruce Buffer with dark hair sounding like the Announcer from Rocky II, and Joe Rogan with a full head of gorgeous hair and a strong Boston accent.

Ah, the good ol’ days.

Also these boys are on some serious horsemeat, mirite fellas?
<DirkMavs>

Were knees to the head of a downed opponent legal at this point in the UFC ?
I know Coleman preferred to do that in Pride because it was more effective for him than punches .

They dont come to fight now?

Pretty sure head kick ko's still exist bud.

It's meant as a past "picturesque" for those who believe MMA was more about the fight itself than say, the organization, money fame etc.

Event: UFC 14 (7-27-1997)

Baby faced Pete Williams was up against the former UFC Heavyweight champion, Mark Coleman and the odds were not in his favor. Williams fighting out of the famed Lion's Den led by Ken Shamrock, while Coleman was fighting out of Hammer House. Coleman had won his first 6 UFC matches, beating some of the very best at the time in Don Frye, Dan Severn and Brian Johnston, before losing a tough match against Maurice Smith at UFC 13 (an upset at the time). Williams had fought in previous organizations before entering the UFC. Known for his submissions, he was also a decent striker. This was also Pete William's debut in the UFC.

Coleman however was a powerful wrestler, considered the "godfather" of ground and pound, Coleman had control for the most part in the 12 minute first round, Williams used his jabs and height to thwart off Coleman's shoots, but Coleman was too powerful. However in the second round, Coleman was tiring, Williams was behind on points.....the pressure between both men to win saw one of the most iconic finishes in MMA history.

why do these morons keep posting videos from youtube which average fans can enjoy and then post this shit up here and get that shit deleted. Just no brain

Event: UFC 14 (7-27-1997)

Baby faced Pete Williams was up against the former UFC Heavyweight champion, Mark Coleman and the odds were not in his favor. Williams fighting out of the famed Lion's Den led by Ken Shamrock, while Coleman was fighting out of Hammer House. Coleman had won his first 6 UFC matches, beating some of the very best at the time in Don Frye, Dan Severn and Brian Johnston, before losing a tough match against Maurice Smith at UFC 13 (an upset at the time). Williams had fought in previous organizations before entering the UFC. Known for his submissions, he was also a decent striker. This was also Pete William's debut in the UFC.

Fuck yeah, I love these "When they came to fight" threads, kudos

No heavyweight from UFC today would survive a 12-minutes round. Shit, most of them gas in one round.
In the second round, Coleman became a punching bag until the final kick.

Was there a particular reason Coleman gassed so bad in this fight?

Have seen him go longer in a fight without nearly as much difficulty.

Were there any training/life circumstances going on?

Was there a particular reason Coleman gassed so bad in this fight?

Have seen him go longer in a fight without nearly as much difficulty.

Were there any training/life circumstances going on?

Not that im aware of, but in this match he certainly gassed terribly but then again 12 minutes for a round in quite long.

First head kick KO from standing in UFC or Pride I believe...

First head kick KO from standing in UFC or Pride I believe...

Gilbert Yvel vs Gary Goodridge (Pride 10)

tumblr_nw368r6YBy1qcztrfo3_250.gifv

Back