When talking about the GOATS things always get heated.

frye666

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have no problem seeing all these guys for their greatness and for their weaknesses. It doesn't seem like a complex question. You can shuffle around 4 or 5 guys and the order is still pretty close. What baffles me is the insane reactions of the haters. Are that many people that dumb? I mean, Fedor, Jones, GSP, and Silva.

Yeah each have a spot where you can call them on, but to just throw out everything they did seems a bit "slow" Maybe I am having too much faith in humans in general.

Trolls gonna troll.

If you're a top level fighter stringing together wins against top notch competition, belt or not, you're having a phenomenal run. We know who the GOATs are. GOAT runs that endure during primes are the most important thing outside of record during it and strength of competition when determining who is worthy of that title.

Trolls gonna troll.

If you're a top level fighter stringing together wins against top notch competition, belt or not, you're having a phenomenal run. We know who the GOATs are. GOAT runs that endure during primes are the most important thing outside of record during it and strength of competition when determining who is worthy of that title.

Also manner of victory. For me it's the main claim Anderson has. The way he beat guys was simply incredible. The Forrest fight was one of the most insane things I've ever seen in MMA. So to just chalk it off as a win over Forrest and score it the same as a decision win or a run of the mill TKO is insane.

All 4 GOAT candidates evoke crazy reactions from fans. The easiest way to big up your favourite is to shit on the others. Look at Messi vs Ronaldo. It's unfortunate really.

People always leave Jose aldo out on the list too. Wtf!!!

"Goats live in the mountains where it's not heated, but cold."
- Kenny Florian (biologist)

I like to think of Cerrone as the GOAT that never won the title on account of all the UFC records he holds lol no actual champs are gonna get those records

People always leave Jose aldo out on the list too. Wtf!!!

The loss vs Conor really set him back in the GOAT discussion. That, and it's probably, realistically, harder to be considered GOAT the smaller you are.

The loss vs Conor really set him back in the GOAT discussion. That, and it's probably, realistically, harder to be considered GOAT the smaller you are.
If this is valid and reliable, then GSP's loss to Matt Serra should be disqualifying. At least, Conor went on to become double champion (even though it was predominantly orchestrated by the company, he still had to beat whoever was in front of him).

If this is valid and reliable, then GSP's loss to Matt Serra should be disqualifying. At least, Conor went on to become double champion (even though it was predominantly orchestrated by the company, he still had to beat whoever was in front of him).

Yeah, but GSP went on to become, basically, GOAT contender AFTER his loss vs Serra, and avenged it too.

Guys who didn't have fights in the UFC are ineligible.

No they aren't. Not when they fought in the premier divisions their entire prime. It's like saying "guys who didn't fight for Goldenboy can't be GOAT boxer."

Yeah, but GSP went on to become, basically, GOAT contender AFTER his loss vs Serra, and avenged it too.

GSP tapped to strikes:

gif8.gif

Also manner of victory. For me it's the main claim Anderson has. The way he beat guys was simply incredible. The Forrest fight was one of the most insane things I've ever seen in MMA. So to just chalk it off as a win over Forrest and score it the same as a decision win or a run of the mill TKO is insane.

All 4 GOAT candidates evoke crazy reactions from fans. The easiest way to big up your favourite is to shit on the others. Look at Messi vs Ronaldo. It's unfortunate really.

I feel exactly the same way about Anderson. The way he won was just mind boggling, edge of your seat, once in a lifetime stuff.

People are stupid.

Yes. And Silva lost "early" in his carreer too. The point is that Silva as well as GSP continued to build on their legacy AFTER the loss(es), while Aldo didn't.

Aldo didn't lose to Manny Gamburyan and then go on a run.

Its just absurd proven cheaters are even in the discussion for GOAT. All GOAT-discussions should leave proven cheaters out. Especially someone like Jon Jones who also uses eye-pokes in addition to his steroid-use.

Its just absurd proven cheaters are even in the discussion for GOAT. All GOAT-discussions should leave proven cheaters out. Especially someone like Jon Jones who also uses eye-pokes in addition to his steroid-use.

But if you're caught only once, does that immediately disqualify you? That seems a bit hard - and does it matter at which point in your carreer you get caught? I don't think it's that easy.

You can shuffle around 4 or 5 guys and the order is still pretty close. What baffles me is the insane reactions of the haters. Are that many people that dumb? I mean, Fedor, Jones, GSP, and Silva.
You mean just Fedor and GSP, Jones and Silva are disqualified.

No they aren't. Not when they fought in the premier divisions their entire prime. It's like saying "guys who didn't fight for Goldenboy can't be GOAT boxer."
No, it is not.
(1) The UFC is more like a league. The only cross-promotion ever done in the UFC (since the unified rules) was Mayweather vs McGregor, and that was in a different sport.

(2) Goldenboy fighters fight boxers from other promotions. So, Boxing can be judged as a whole because cross-promotion fights happen all the time.

I will stop there because I think those are 2 very strong points that debunk your analogy.

Back